• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MEIZU Hifi Pro USB-C Phone Dongle DAC Review

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
There seems to be jitter around fundamental frequency. I'm not sure if this is my setup or it should be like this. The individual harmonics are superb with 1.7V.

Tested with HF Player

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
so... who heard it?

confucius_zero

This or the musiland mu2 plus?

deafenears

Forum Donor

myblues

Anyone have "skipping every 10~20s problem" (Sounds like the music is paused and immediately played back again) with this product?

I'm using it with uapp but I hear skipping quite often regardless of the buffer size or usb bus speed.
Any idea how to resolve this?
(I'm using the regular version not the pro ver. But it should be similar because the only difference is the amp buffer stage?)

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Anyone have "skipping every 10~20s problem" (Sounds like the music is paused and immediately played back again) with this product?

I'm using it with uapp but I hear skipping quite often regardless of the buffer size or usb bus speed.
Any idea how to resolve this?
(I'm using the regular version not the pro ver. But it should be similar because the only difference is the amp buffer stage?)
That is a know issue of the non Pro version. To fix it, disable Bit perfect and go to Settings -> USB audio -> Upsample ->On, use integer multiple.

duo8

Considering they use the same USB interface, it would be nice if the non-Pro can be updated to use the Pro's firmware (officially or not).

myblues

Considering they use the same USB interface, it would be nice if the non-Pro can be updated to use the Pro's firmware (officially or not).
That's true.
Very strange that it only happens to non-pro version.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Many of the chips in these devices have their firmware written to them only ever once while they're not yet soldered. Once built into the final product, that's it.
Firmware upgradable dongles like the Sonata are an exception I believe.

paradoxical3

Just ordered one of these to use with my ie800s and hopefully replace the absolutely horrible pixel dongle I have. The pixel dongle can barely drive the ie800s, a low impedance IEM, to acceptable levels for classical music. Thank you for the work that you do measuring these, and helping us discover these lesser known manufacturers who strive to put out well-engineered products.

duo8

Many of the chips in these devices have their firmware written to them only ever once while they're not yet soldered. Once built into the final product, that's it.
Firmware upgradable dongles like the Sonata are an exception I believe.
That has kinda fallen out of fashion over time, a lot of these controllers are updateable now.

kaexch

If I am only interested to listen from highly sensitive IEMs, should i get these or the apple USB-C dongle dac?

If this is better, by how much? Since the Meizu(looking at non-pro) is around 24usd at its cheapest in aliexpress.

mkawa

Forum Donor
If you are on ios, i say stick with the 7$ apple dongle. This doesn’t sound 4x better. It does fix the gain issue with my pixel phone though.

kaexch

If you are on ios, i say stick with the 7$ apple dongle. This doesn’t sound 4x better. It does fix the gain issue with my pixel phone though.
I'm on the Google pixel 3. The given dongle has a very huge noise floor, hence I'm looking for a replacement dongle.

Is the gain issues for apple dongle in Android significant? Will I have issues using my iem?

mkawa

Forum Donor
the er4sr sound pretty anemic from the apple dongle on my pixel 4 (and previously on my pixel 2). it sounds way better than the google dongle, but you do have to step up the device volume quite a bit, not entirely sure what the deal is tbh. the meizu pro sounds noticeably better and much louder. also note, i selected the usb 3.0 version on the drop down on aliexpress. this option was only available on the pro iirc.

my iems are on all the time at the office, so the difference in cost wasn't much for me (for reference, i have 3 of the apple dongles as well).

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I'm on the Google pixel 3. The given dongle has a very huge noise floor, hence I'm looking for a replacement dongle.

Is the gain issues for apple dongle in Android significant? Will I have issues using my iem?
If you use high sensitivity iems, I do not recommend these dongles. Any soft control volume even. It might blast your ears off when it suddenly increases to max volume. Personally I always put iems on after music starting playing. This is also a solution. I with many other friends have been blasted on by various dongles.

kaexch

I'm on the Google pixel 3. The given dongle has a very huge noise floor.
If you use high sensitivity iems, I do not recommend these dongles. Any soft control volume even. It might blast your ears off when it suddenly increases to max volume. Personally I always put iems on after music starting playing. This is also a solution. I with many other friends have been blasted on by various dongles.
Thanks, but I wasn't intending to use the Meizu pro version that comes with op amp.

I am just comparing the non pro version, which should have enough juice, with the apple dongle.

DLS79

Forum Donor
would the Meizu pro work ok if you ran it into a tablet a with usb-c to micro usb 2.0 adapter?

Top Bottom