• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MEIZU Hifi Pro USB-C Phone Dongle DAC Review

staticV3

Master Contributor
Since you are interested in SMSL SH8s that has XLR balanced input too (accepting 4V instead of 2V), I suppose that E1DA 9038S can be used, even though it's a bit short at 3,3V
The 9038S cannot be safely plugged into a mains-powered Amp or Preamp as it lacks a GND pin.

Does that affect the overall (audible) sound quality, sinad, etc?
It does not.

mc.god

The 9038S cannot be safely plugged into a mains-powered Amp or Preamp as it lacks a GND pin.
Yeah, I didn't remember about that, re-reading the discussion just now.

Last edited:

JeffJ

Trying to stay smple, it has autosensing of load impedance, when connected to the RCA line input of an amp, which normally has an impedance in the Kohm order, it sets in high gain mode delivering the 2Volt signal that a line input expect to work at the best.

Thanks! That is good to know.

JeffJ

A little off-topic: If I can get a topping dx3 pro+ for a similar price of smsl sh8s, should I go with topping as a AIO, or get the smsl to pair with my meizu hifi pro?

mc.god

Soundwise both ways should be transparent and comparable
Note that using meizu pro as a dac is advisable to set it not at 100% on your pc but at -1 db (96/100 on linux volume slider for me) since at max it has some problems common to the dac used in it, so it will output just a bit less than the discussed 2V to the amp.
DX3 has extra features like bluetooth, digital inputs and remote, if you don't need them personally I'd go with meizu and an amp, maybe a cheaper one without XLR inputs, since you willl not use them with meizu, like a Sabaj A10h (similar power) or Topping L30II (even more power reserve in case you want to use EQ).

JeffJ

Soundwise both ways should be transparent and comparable
Note that using meizu pro as a dac is advisable to set it not at 100% on your pc but at -1 db (96/100 on linux volume slider for me) since at max it has some problems common to the dac used in it, so it will output just a bit less than the discussed 2V to the amp.
DX3 has extra features like bluetooth, digital inputs and remote, if you don't need them personally I'd go with meizu and an amp, maybe a cheaper one without XLR inputs, since you willl not use them with meizu, like a Sabaj A10h (similar power) or Topping L30II (even more power reserve in case you want to use EQ).
Thanks a lot! I did some research on Topping L30II and found it to be exactly what I need! Much more powerful than smsl sh8s, measures better, and similar in price. Just placed order.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping L30II
You will be happy. I had the previous L30, there are no surprises, it was exactly what was advertised.
PXL_20220420_175713643.jpg

PXL_20220420_175842441.jpg

PXL_20220420_175722476.jpg

r3ps4J

Hello, my first post here. My new phone (s23) lacks a headphone jack sadly and therefore I'm looking for a good USB-C to 3.5mm dongle. I found this forum through google and I see that this Meizu Hifi Pro dongle gets recommended a lot, sadly it's discontinued. Does anyone know of a good alternative to it? I was trying to find the Ugreen dongle mentioned here with the same CS43131 chip, but it seems to be discontinued as well (could also be unavailable in Europe, I'm from the Netherlands). The other Ugreen dongles that I could find don't mention a chip on their profile page. I would prefer to get a dongle in the same style like this one, as I would need to carry it around with my phone. So something like the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro won't really work. I don't know too much about what to look for in a dongle like this, so any help would be appreciated!

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, my first post here. My new phone (s23) lacks a headphone jack sadly and therefore I'm looking for a good USB-C to 3.5mm dongle. I found this forum through google and I see that this Meizu Hifi Pro dongle gets recommended a lot, sadly it's discontinued. Does anyone know of a good alternative to it? I was trying to find the Ugreen dongle mentioned here with the same CS43131 chip, but it seems to be discontinued as well (could also be unavailable in Europe, I'm from the Netherlands). The other Ugreen dongles that I could find don't mention a chip on their profile page. I would prefer to get a dongle in the same style like this one, as I would need to carry it around with my phone. So something like the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro won't really work. I don't know too much about what to look for in a dongle like this, so any help would be appreciated!

Welcome to ASR! You can see the dongles that Amir has tested and recommended by clicking the 'Review Index' link at the top of the page, then selecting 'Audio Electronics', entering 'dongle' in the search box and finally clicking on the 'Recommended' column to sort by that.

It looks like the last dongle Amir tested and recommended was the Hidiz S3 Pro...

You might also want to consider the Qudelix 5K, which can be connected to you phone via USB, but also wirelessly using Bluetooth. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...qudelix-5k-bluetooth-dac-headphone-amp.17386/

mc.god

I would prefer to get a dongle in the same style like this one, as I would need to carry it around with my phone. So something like the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro won't really work. I don't know too much about what to look for in a dongle like this, so any help would be appreciated!
Maybe the Tanchjim Space Lite can be a good choice with the small form factor you are searching, not measured but the non Lite version measures very well so we can assume they know their job. Again it doesn't have the additional output OPA1612 so probably less power at lower ohm than the Meizu\Ugreen but with efficient iem on the go it should be totally fine.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe the Tanchjim Space Lite can be a good choice with the small form factor you are searching, not measured but the non Lite version measures very well so we can assume they know their job. Again it doesn't have the additional output OPA1612 so probably less power at lower ohm than the Meizu\Ugreen but with efficient iem on the go it should be totally fine.
I just got the Lite. Probably is what the poster needs but is a bit bulkier than the meizu. Infinitely better than the bigger "chewing gum pack" dongles though.

abm0

Forum Donor
Hello, my first post here. My new phone (s23) lacks a headphone jack sadly and therefore I'm looking for a good USB-C to 3.5mm dongle.
If you're looking for a full replacement of the phone's jack including microphone support, you're not going to find a lot of audiophile options. From what has been mentioned in replies so far only the Hidizs S3 Pro supports microphone input. Another option are the CX31993 DAC chip based dongles like you can see here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...jm6-pro-other-conexant-cx31993-dongles.45049/

Audio quality on those might be quite a step down from CS43131 dongles if you get Pro versions with a MAX amplifier chip, or it could be comparable(?) if you can live without the extra amplification. You should clarify what headphones you want to drive out of your dongle before choosing one.

r3ps4J

Welcome to ASR! You can see the dongles that Amir has tested and recommended by clicking the 'Review Index' link at the top of the page, then selecting 'Audio Electronics', entering 'dongle' in the search box and finally clicking on the 'Recommended' column to sort by that.

It looks like the last dongle Amir tested and recommended was the Hidiz S3 Pro...

You might also want to consider the Qudelix 5K, which can be connected to you phone via USB, but also wirelessly using Bluetooth. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...qudelix-5k-bluetooth-dac-headphone-amp.17386/
Thank you! I'll take a look at the list and see if I can find any.

If you're looking for a full replacement of the phone's jack including microphone support, you're not going to find a lot of audiophile options. From what has been mentioned in replies so far only the Hidizs S3 Pro supports microphone input. Another option are the CX31993 DAC chip based dongles like you can see here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...jm6-pro-other-conexant-cx31993-dongles.45049/

Audio quality on those might be quite a step down from CS43131 dongles if you get Pro versions with a MAX amplifier chip, or it could be comparable(?) if you can live without the extra amplification. You should clarify what headphones you want to drive out of your dongle before choosing one.
Yes the main purpose would be to have a good replacement for the missing headphone jack. Microphone support and controls are nice to have but seeing as they are rarely supported I can live without them. I will probably use it most of the time with regular headphones, but I always prefer to have something good which I might not use full functionality of than getting something half broken.

So far, I've tried the Samsung and Apple dongle. All the Samsung ones I got broke within a month (or got delivered broken) and the Apple one has a very low volume when using it with android. The ugreens I've seen still available seem to have good reviews but there's nothing specified regarding which chips they have.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@r3ps4J as an onwer of the Meizu non-pro DAC dongle and using it right now, I also was looking for a good measuring alternative with mic support.

I asked TempoTec what they have with mic support and they suggested the Sonata MHD.

It is not tiny and uses an ESS ES9281 DAC-amp chip, but measurements are good enough, has mic support and has volume buttons, which for me is a plus.

Edit: HiBy FC3 also supports mic, also based on 9281 chip, measured here.

Edit2: did not know of this brand Keysion but also adopts 9281 chip. <== I was curious and just ordered it to test. :)

Last edited:

abm0

Forum Donor
Yes, HiBy FC1, 3 and 4 also support mic-in, I didn't mention them because they don't have that exact "just a female jack connector tied to a USB plug" form-factor. :)

The FC3 might be my highest-fi DAC yet, even compared to my desktop units, but I will say it keeps reminding me of some of its bad reviews about mysterious sudden-death cases with some of its behaviors sometimes, e.g.:
- I like to see it stop operating (light goes red) after stopping the music, before I unplug it, kinda like a USB drive, to prevent damage (heard ugly noise when I unplugged it with light not-red), and it sometimes just doesn't, and I'm not even using it in any fancy USB-exclusive/bit-perfect mode, it should be released normally when the music stops, but sometimes it just stays active
- Had the opposite problem for the first time just last week: plugged it into my estat energizer, which sends it straight to high-gain mode because high impedance, and it wouldn't turn on. No inactivity symbolized by red light, nothing, no light, no sound. Only got it working by first plugging it into the phone without load, seeing it flash for a bit looking for a load (turns off if it doesn't find one, that's normal) and then plugging the energizer. Worked fine for the rest of the session, but it's got me wondering and worrying now.

r3ps4J

@r3ps4J as an onwer of the Meizu non-pro DAC dongle and using it right now, I also was looking for a good measuring alternative with mic support.

I asked TempoTec what they have with mic support and they suggested the Sonata MHD.

It is not tiny and uses an ESS ES9281 DAC-amp chip, but measurements are good enough, has mic support and has volume buttons, which for me is a plus.

Edit2: did not know of this brand Keysion but also adopts 9281 chip. <== I was curious and just ordered it to test. :)
The Sonata HD II you linked looks promising, it's also not very expensive. The Keysion with the same chip looks good as well. I like the form factor of these two especially for carrying it around.

Do you happen to know if the call/music modes can be switched manually? In case a headphone has a microphone but I won't be using it.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I removed the link to Sonata HD II as I thought it was discontinued, but I was wrong. But also it uses ES9070 chip and not the slightly higher performing ES9281 chip.

Add says it auto-detects mic on the cable when plugging in and switches between music mode and call mode.

Last edited:

r3ps4J

Ahh okay, my bad. Does the ES9281 come close to the CS43131 used by the Meizu? Not sure if the Meizu supported mic and/or controls. The only ones I can still find using the CS43131 are mostly unbranded or some from JCALLY, although those are not sold by an official store.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Meizu based on CS43131 is unobtanium, Pro or not. It does support mic but the buttons on my Moondrop MKI do not work for volume on Android.

Specs on CS43131 are better than ES9281 though, THD+N and DR.

r3ps4J

Ah well too bad it's unobtainable, it seems like the best dongle. Thanks for the help though!

Top Bottom