• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MEIZU Hifi Pro USB-C Phone Dongle DAC Review

abm0

Forum Donor
Offered Amir to order one for measurement. Haven't seen this combination (CX31993+MAX97220) measured with a quick Google search, so maybe we have a good replacement.
I would say that's highly unlikely, based on what I've seen about CS43131 DACs. My JCally JM6 Pro that I was talking about above is also a CX31993+MAX97220, and it's got mushy/veiled upper treble immediately apparent when A/B-ing vs. FiiO BTR3 even just through a Koss KSC75 (granted, I have mine EQ'd to my HRTF, so it's not exactly a stock KSC response).

BTW, if you want to order another CX+MAX combo, this time knowing that's what it is :D, you can get the JM6 Pro and only pay 15-17 USD. My main suspicion is the price difference is just to get more money from people who think the mBlu is the old "Meizu Hifi DAC", but I guess there could be minor differences in implementation as well, if they maybe... put in some EM noise protection in the mBlu? That's the real glaring fault of the JM6 Pro, I can't see it being much different from the mBlu in other ways. (You could test by hooking up your mBlu to a source and headphones, not playing any music through it for multiple minutes, and getting the whole setup close to whatever you can find as potential sources of horrible EM noise.)

Last edited:

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you remember what you found unacceptable in the FC3 by any chance?
Horrendous "sabre glare" and sub-par bass extension, subjectively speaking. YMMV
It does sound better when use MQA source via Tidal but for me this requirement is too demanding already when the Meizu Pro performed better without the need of MQA.

If you enjoy it, plz carry on :)

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
CX+MAX combo
I have the CX+Max meizu mblu dongle as well and didn't quite like it over the original meizu pro. The only dongle I felt can stand up to it is the Questyle M12.

Of course, all of this is subjective. If you enjoy the CX-MAX, carry on :)

abm0

Forum Donor
Horrendous "sabre glare" and sub-par bass extension, subjectively speaking. YMMV
OK cool, good to know. I'm not scared of the Sabre Glare, but would prefer to avoid it where it can be demonstrated to exist, as I'm looking for fidelity after all, not fake detail etc.

It does sound better when use MQA source via Tidal
I sure hope not, as MQA is a scam format that's not even lossless, let alone "master quality" - so far it's the only part of the FC3 I wish I'd had the option to not spend money on. :D

BillG

Major Contributor
would say that's highly unlikely, based on what I've seen about CS43131 DACs. My JCally JM6 Pro that I was talking about above is also a CX31993+MAX97220, and it's got mushy/veiled upper treble immediately apparent

It might be malfunctioning. I own the JM6 Pro, as well as the Apple dongle and an ancient LeEco one from '16. In comparison to last two the JM6 Pro doesn't sound veiled at all.

abm0

Forum Donor
It might be malfunctioning. I own the JM6 Pro, as well as the Apple dongle and an ancient LeEco one from '16. In comparison to last two the JM6 Pro doesn't sound veiled at all.
It takes busy tracks to hear it, it's otherwise fine for most music. I've seen someone else report the same lack of treble detail vs. the iBasso DC02, specifically on busy tracks. Try comparing it to more, not less competent devices. ;) The Apple as a standard for dongles I would say is already ancient history.

BillG

Major Contributor
It takes busy tracks to hear it, it's otherwise fine for most music. I've seen someone else report the same lack of treble detail vs. the iBasso DC02, specifically on busy tracks. Try comparing it to more, not less competent devices. ;) The Apple as a standard for dongles I would say is already ancient history.
I'll do without the condescension and continue on my way without you...

abm0

Forum Donor
Suit yourself. If even this level of mild acidity, primarily aimed at device quality, is unbearable for you, technical forums might not be your natural environment. : ))

RE: Apple Dongle, I may have jumped the gun on that one, I noticed comments on here just today that suggest to me there have been different versions of it over time, even though in most discussions you always see just "the Apple dongle". Could be I'm wrong about its latest versions, my comment was based on the Df-metric of the older 1749 one.

staticV3

Master Contributor
RE: Apple Dongle, I may have jumped the gun on that one, I noticed comments on here just today that suggest to me there have been different versions of it over time, even though in most discussions you always see just "the Apple dongle". Could be I'm wrong about its latest versions, my comment was based on the Df-metric of the older 1749 one.
There is no "newer" or "older" version of the Apple dongle.
The versions they released way back when, are still the ones they sell today.

There's the Type-C A2049 US dongle with the full 1.0Vrms and the A2155 EU version with a 0.5Vrms hard limit.

On the Lightning side, there are also 1.0Vrms US and 0.5Vrms EU versions, though both of them carry the A1749 model number.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is this the same?

Name is slightly different.
The Lifeme HiFi Audio Pro is not the same product as the Meizu HiFi Audio Pro.

Lifeme uses a DAC made by Conexant, which tops out at 1.0Vrms.
Meizu used a Cirrus Logic DAC and could go up to 2.0Vrms.
Past tense because the Meizu got discontinued roughly a year ago.

abm0

Forum Donor
I don't think anyone makes an exact CS43131+OPA1622 anymore (unless a certain UGreen Hifi Audio Pro is still available and can be bought outside of China) but if you look up-thread a close and still available equivalent - with a larger body and volume controls - was found in the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro.

Meizu used a Cirrus Logic DAC and could go up to 2.0Vrms.
Didn't quite reach 2.0 according to Amir's results, not clipping-free, it was giving up at 1.7-ish volts on all impedances. Meanwhile the Sonata HD Pro does reach a solid 2.0 Vrms at 300 ohms, but can only do 1.47-ish at 33. Not as good for portable/standalone use, but better as a line source.

Last edited:

mc.god

Didn't quite reach 2.0 according to Amir's results, not clipping-free, it was giving up at 1.7-ish volts into all impedances. Meanwhile the Sonata HD Pro does reach a solid 2.0 Vrms at 300 ohms, but can only do 1.47-ish into 33. Not as good for portable/standalone use, but better as a line source.
If I remeber well Amir's results were affected by some settings of his set up, in L7Audiolab measurements the Meizu Pro achieved better results and could deliver 2 Vrms without problems, on par with his "clone", the Ugreen HiFi.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JeffJ

Can I use the meizu hifi pro as a dac, with a external amp?

I have a pair of HD650 and DCA Ether CX, both should sound better with higher power amp I believe. I mainly listen to apple music on a M1 macbook air. I have 3 dongles at hand: a e1da 9038s gen3 (340mW at 32Ω), meizu hifi pro, and apple dongle. I'm considering purchasing a smsl sh8s (3W at 32Ω) to properly drive the HD650 and Ether. Do I also need a dedicated DAC (say a ~$150 entry level DAC)? Or I can just get a 3.5mm to rca cable and use meizu hifi pro as a DAC?

The e1da 9038s cannot be used as DAC only unfortunately.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can I use the meizu hifi pro as a dac, with a external amp?
Yes, Amir measured it and it puts out almost 2v, enough to drive an amp.

JeffJ

Yes, Amir measured it and it puts out almost 2v, enough to drive an amp.
Thanks! Since it doesn’t have a “Dac only” mode, I assume signal will be amplified twice (by internal AND external amp). Does that affect the overall (audible) sound quality, sinad, etc?

mc.god

Thanks! Since it doesn’t have a “Dac only” mode, I assume signal will be amplified twice (by internal AND external amp). Does that affect the overall (audible) sound quality, sinad, etc?
Trying to stay smple, it has autosensing of load impedance, when connected to the RCA line input of an amp, which normally has an impedance in the Kohm order, it sets in high gain mode delivering the 2Volt signal that a line input expect to work at the best.

Since you are interested in SMSL SH8s that has XLR balanced input too (accepting 4V instead of 2V), I suppose that E1DA 9038S can be used, even though it's a bit short at 3,3V .
Amir measured the SH8S via XLR, I don't know if it can deliver the same power with 2V signal at the RCA input, take note that it's absolutely not near 3W at 32ohm, just 1,3W in high gain mode, anyway Amir listening impressions with the same both headphones of yours were good.

Top Bottom