• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MEIZU Hifi Pro USB-C Phone Dongle DAC Review

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Is there any player on Android that can play with buffering?
I'm using Onkyo HF player and it doesn't have the option.
HF does have the buffer option. Options - USB audio output buffer. I don't know anything else having it atm. Neutron & HiBy don't.

pii75

I didn't hear anything like that. Such issues could be player/system dependent.

NOTICE mine is the standard version, not the PRO, and I can confirm the issue with 44.1kHz and multiple of it under linux (tried with Volumio and Moode) while on mac OS X the issue does not happen.
With the phone (MI Android one) it does not happen, but probably because everything is resampled to 48 kHz
Anyway It sounds great, and forcing resampling to 48kHz or a multiple of it works fine.

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there anything in this product category that allows a charger to be connected at the same time?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Is there anything in this product category that allows a charger to be connected at the same time?
You need something like this but with more USB-C ports. This one only has one USB-C port for the charger and 2 USB-A for peripherals (you can use a USB-A to C converter on these ports I guess....). I'm too lazy to search more for it. But you need an OTG splitter so you can connect both a charger and a DAC.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eximtrade-Power-Splitter-Adapter-Windows/dp/B01H4S37EQ

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
You need something like this but with more USB-C ports. This one only has one USB-C port for the charger and 2 USB-A for peripherals (you can use a USB-A to C converter on these ports I guess....). I'm too lazy to search more for it. But you need an OTG splitter so you can connect both a charger and a DAC.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eximtrade-Power-Splitter-Adapter-Windows/dp/B01H4S37EQ
C to two C's for phone charging & dac listening:
https://a.aliexpress.com/qMQfusJI
Don't know how good it is.
This are good when it comes to both cable and power supply quality:
https://a.aliexpress.com/FjMT2yxQ
Can be future combined with less exotic cable's than those for portable DAC's (micro to micro or C [adapter on the phone side!]):

DSC_0054-01.jpeg

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The proper way to do it is with a USB C hub that supports power delivery, which someone could make in a y-cable form factor if they wanted. Anything else is a gamble - it might work in many situations, but could fail in strange, interesting and expensive ways.

digititus

Not all android devices support being connected to a DAC and a power supply simultaneously. It is either or. My phone does, my tablet doesn't.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Not all android devices support being connected to a DAC and a power supply simultaneously. It is either or. My phone does, my tablet doesn't.
The 51~56K Ohms resistor is only proper way to do either (connect OTG or change). Now some OEM's are starting to block USB cable's/dongles without it (actually only Google on last pixels).

Last edited:

mt196

Sorry but how can you use it as a DAC and bypass the ampli? I wanted to pair it with a fiio A5 to build a semi-portable setup with enough power to drive hd650 but I don't know if it can act just as a DAC (measured at the beginning by amir)

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
bought one for on-the-go with IEMs to get around the apple dongle not adjusting gain properly on android phones thing. glad someone is taking android users into account -- it's not just the iphone that lost its 3.5mm jack!

pii75

Nope, the pro version fixes that.

Are you sure the issue is fixed for the PRO version? I mean, do you have both devices and using same software the PRO version works fine while the other not? I ask it because I would upgrade to PRO in this case.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Are you sure the issue is fixed for the PRO version? I mean, do you have both devices and using same software the PRO version works fine while the other not? I ask it because I would upgrade to PRO in this case.
I have both versions and can confirm.

D

Deleted member 3566

That's really good results, but $45 is a lot of money as well. Not sure if worth if, if Apple can still provide excellent DAC and sufficient amp in terms of output power as well for $7. These dongles are easy to lose, and $45 is very hard to swallow in such a scenario.

But the Apple has compatibility issues on Android phones, of course...

Still excellent of Meizu to release such an excellent product. It's surely a winner if you use it at home on your laptop or desktop PC permanently--performs excellently compared to dedicated DAC/Amps well above its price range and technically takes up no extra space.

Top Bottom