• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MEIZU Hifi Pro USB-C Phone Dongle DAC Review

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/快讯-目前绝大部分cs43131芯片的小以巴都有bug/

Google translate it.

CS43131 has some engineering problem at 44.1/48khz and is apparently confirmed. That was in Dec 2020 and a solution was suppose to be forthcoming but i have no idea. No idea how to listen to this flaw. Perhaps just don’t use this sample rate? Lol.

@WolfX-700 Any updates regarding this issue?
Is that saying the problem manifests at 0dbfs, or at anything less than 0? Gets a bit confusing in the translation

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that saying the problem manifests at 0dbfs, or at anything less than 0? Gets a bit confusing in the translation

I took Wolf's replies to this comment as indicating it's not a problem below 0dbfs, but you are right it's a guess with the translation: https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/快讯-目前绝大部分cs43131芯片的小以巴都有bug/#comment-100

Then if you look at this chart in the DC03 review at -1dbfs, the multitone result improves dramatically
Multitone-1-1-1024x820.jpg

https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/measurement-of-ibasso-dc-03/

mslim

I took Wolf's replies to this comment as indicating it's not a problem below 0dbfs, but you are right it's a guess with the translation: https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/快讯-目前绝大部分cs43131芯片的小以巴都有bug/#comment-100

Then if you look at this chart in the DC03 review at -1dbfs, the multitone result improves dramatically
Multitone-1-1-1024x820.jpg

https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/measurement-of-ibasso-dc-03/

I am not sure what flaw this results actually. So as long as it is not 0 dbFS (? Max level), it is Ok?

If that is so, the UGreen USB DAC for USD 10 appears as a very good deal.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not sure what flaw this results actually. So as long as it is not 0 dbFS (? Max level), it is Ok?

If that is so, the UGreen USB DAC for USD 10 appears as a very good deal.

Do we have any measurements of the UGreen DAC?

mslim

It only samples to 24/96. Meizu can/could go higher.....

Can someone more experience in reading these outputs comment?

It seems to have a lower noise floor compared to the Meizu Pro, but have more distortions at both the lowest end and highest frequency ends. Clips just below 100 mW. The multitone isn't as nice a Meizu..... Is my 'interpretation' correct?

Don't quite understand the THD + N ratio vs measured level bits....and the ISO noise part at the end.

Last edited:

mc.god

It only samples to 24/96. Meizu can/could go higher.....

Can someone more experience in reading these outputs comment?

It seems to have a lower noise floor compared to the Meizu Pro, but have more distortions at both the lowest end and highest frequency ends. Clips just below 100 mW. The multitone isn't as nice a Meizu..... Is my 'interpretation' correct?

Don't quite understand the THD + N ratio vs measured level bits....and the ISO noise part at the end.
Sorry I can't say much about those measurements but I can share my experience.
Just got the Ugreen HiFi Pro to be used mostly with an old linux laptop replacing a Sound blaster X-fi 5.1 pro that has terrible EMI noises and background hiss with efficient IEMS (Revonext QT5 and TRN MT1), plus not native support of 44,1 khz.
I can say I'm very pleased for now, very clean and dynamic sound with absolutely no EMI noise nor background hiss with my IEMS, I'v tried also in high impedance mode with the trick, more power but again no hint of hiss or EMI.

I don't usually listen at too high volume and with IEMS, 30% vol in low impedance mode and 22% in high imp mode is already at my limit of tolerance. My over ear cans (Senn HD599, Samson SR 850 and SR950) are all easy driven so no problems here again, but I can say I'm impressed that it managed to drive an old (not mine) AKG 141/2 600 ohms 98 db, I got satisfiyng lavel at about 75% of volume and decent dynamic.

It works fine with my Realme 7 5G smartphone as soon as you activate USB OTG in Settings.

Got it for 40€ direct from Amazon Italy, not super cheap but 3 days shipping and easy return in case of problems, worth the money for what I've seen.

ghg

View attachment 43685This device should measure like this. Just measured. Not weighted.
Hi
Sorry to bring up this old thread again;
I got a Meizu NON pro and try to duplicate your AP tests ( Asio4all 2.15 ), but all I got in the AP/Asio panel is 8kHz or 11,025kHz.
Do the higher sample rates work for the PRO model only ? Greetings from Vienna Gary

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi
Sorry to bring up this old thread again;
I got a Meizu NON pro and try to duplicate your AP tests ( Asio4all 2.15 ), but all I got in the AP/Asio panel is 8kHz or 11,025kHz.
Do the higher sample rates work for the PRO model only ? Greetings from Vienna Gary
Both Meizu HiFi and Meizu HiFi Pro can play 32/384 just fine.
Check which sample rates are reported in the Sound Control Panel. Also, try using Flex ASIO with driver type: WMD-KS instead of ASIO4ALL

jae

Major Contributor
@jae What 48KHz issue? I'll check.
It was shown on L7audiolab's measurements I believe. Not really a big deal however. Also are there different versions of the UGREEN dongle that look different? A "hifi" version and some sort of regular one? I was about to buy an Apple USB-C dongle for my ER2SE however was looking at UGREEN and other options that might have a bit more power for other headphones I may use now and then.

staticV3

Master Contributor
It was shown on L7audiolab's measurements I believe.
I just looked through his test again, but can't find anything related to 48KHz sample rate.
Jitter is a bit ugly maybe. Is that it?

Last edited:

jae

Major Contributor
I just looked through his test again, but can't find anything related to 48KHz sample rate.
Jitter is a bit ugly maybe. Is that is?
"43131的0db照例" image in the review. Seems to be related to the cirrus 43131 chip. Also see https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/快讯-目前绝大部分cs43131芯片的小以巴都有bug/

CS43131在44.1/48KHZ采样下,0dbFS的多音的确是翻车了。= CS43131 rolls over at 0dbFS multitone @ 44.1/48 khz. Seems like many other products have this issue.

Apparently Cirrus engineers responded to this and said there was a solution [fixable with firmware?]. But I think they never followed up and it might just be inherent to the chip and nothing can be done.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
"43131的0db照例" image in the review. Seems to be related to the cirrus 43131 chip. Also see https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/快讯-目前绝大部分cs43131芯片的小以巴都有bug/

CS43131在44.1/48KHZ采样下,0dbFS的多音的确是翻车了。= CS43131 rolls over at 0dbFS multitone @ 44.1/48 khz. Seems like many other products have this issue.

Apparently Cirrus engineers responded to this and said there was a solution [fixable with firmware?]. But I think they never followed up and it might just be inherent to the chip and nothing can be done.
Easily avoided but applies to most of them sadly including Ugreen I would guess

norcalscott

Forum Donor

ZolaIII

Major Contributor

There are devices with CS43131 and without the problem, WolfX-700 (see his Audio & Precision W1 - W2 review for reference) did search for such a long time and he is member hire.

Stilgar

Hi all ; just for information i tried ugreen hifi audio pro & meizu hifi pro & Sonata HD and apple usb c ( eu version ) same time with portable headphone amplifiers ( topping nx1 & nx3s & fiio a3 and a5 (e12) ) which they are use similiar Cirrus Logic Dacs and they are likely same sound profile. If you using these type of type C to 3.5 mm adapter just buy the cheapest one :) ( apple one seems to be cheapest ) there are no difference at all for sound quailty.

Top Bottom