• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MEIZU Hifi Pro USB-C Phone Dongle DAC Review

SiliconExarch

Having spent a few hours with mine now I'm really happy with it, the lack of an ASIO driver for Windows is a non-issue for me since DSD decoding works fine over WASAPI. On the Android side of things it's a significant improvement over using the dongle that came with my Xperia 1 (which is just a passthrough for the Snapdragon built in DAC I believe?) and I have no volume issues with my Blon BL03 or ATH-M50x.

Also I think someone said earlier in the thread that it doesn't support headset mics on Windows but I have found otherwise, I have the mic cable for the Blons and a recording device appeared when I plugged the Meizu into my laptop. The inline volume and track skip buttons even work which is a first for me with any DAC on Windows.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Having spent a few hours with mine now I'm really happy with it, the lack of an ASIO driver for Windows is a non-issue for me since DSD decoding works fine over WASAPI. On the Android side of things it's a significant improvement over using the dongle that came with my Xperia 1 (which is just a passthrough for the Snapdragon built in DAC I believe?) and I have no volume issues with my Blon BL03 or ATH-M50x.

Also I think someone said earlier in the thread that it doesn't support headset mics on Windows but I have found otherwise, I have the mic cable for the Blons and a recording device appeared when I plugged the Meizu into my laptop. The inline volume and track skip buttons even work which is a first for me with any DAC on Windows.
Did you get the meizu or the meizu pro? I thought the pro was unavailable everywhere at this point. Good to hear everything works, man!

SiliconExarch

Did you get the meizu or the meizu pro? I thought the pro was unavailable everywhere at this point. Good to hear everything works, man!
It's definitely the pro. I posted a link to where I got it on the previous page but at that price assuming they sound very similar I think the Sonata HD Pro is a better deal as a general purpose DAC, especially since the new version is iOS compatible too. I have a 9038d on the way so I'll probably use that as my main PC DAC and carry on using the Meizu for mobile use where its form factor really shines.

poppy

Anyone using this with a Snapdragon Samsung Galaxy S10? Noticable improvement over the phone's headphone out?

Last edited:

Rock Rabbit

Hey, it looks like Meizu has a new thing on their US Amazon store. The "Meizu MasterHIFI." Anyone know if this this just the same as the non-pro version of the old product? The forum has literally zero search results for the new product name, and it's not listed at all on their official website, though the specs on the Amazon page for the MasterHIFI match the specs for the Meizu Hifi Pro on their website. I'm suspicious because it's a lot cheaper...
It doesn't come with OPA op amps so it has a little less power output

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The DC02 supposedly doesn't sound very good and seeing how the superior DC01 performed in Amir's measuring suite, I would avoid both of them.
As for durability, you will always lose out compared to an integrated headphone jack when going with a dongle. The ones with a fixed cable (Meizu) are bound to develop a loose contact and the ones with a removable one (9038S, S8) will probably have their USB port worn out at some point. That being said, the two best options I see are to either get a cheap dongle like the one from Apple or Meizu and replace it once it breaks, or get one with a removable cable, permanently affix the cable with tape, rubber bands, or similar in order to protect the USB jack, and just replace the cable once it breaks.

PS: You should avoid the 9038S as it can't be used while using cellular because of horrible EMI noise. The 9038D would be ideal, but that one has yet to come out.
PPS: I have bought the S8 and will compare it extensively to the Meizu Pro and the 9038S once it's here.

I'm also getting horrible intermittent static on my meizu pro hooked up to the usbc port of my galaxy ultra. What a piece of junk. What's the point of high SINAD if I get static noise ever few secnds
What other dac dongles are similarly compact that are actually usable on cell phones?

aerie-descent

can you still stream tidal in flight mode?
Not a Tidal user, but I guess you can't.
The workaround works well for playing files residing on your own device.

Btw when the Meizu is connected to my laptop (latitude 7490) there is no audible noise, the wifi/mobile transmitter should be far away from the port.

ClosDeLaRoche

Anyone using this with a Snapdragon Samsung Galaxy S10? Noticable improvement over the phone's headphone out?
I have a Snapdragon S10 and Meizu. You will get more power with the Meizu, but sound quality is similar. The S10 has a very good headphone out.

Jet Black

I'm also getting horrible intermittent static on my meizu pro hooked up to the usbc port of my galaxy ultra. What a piece of junk. What's the point of high SINAD if I get static noise ever few secnds
What other dac dongles are similarly compact that are actually usable on cell phones?

Ibasso DC03 is for you.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Sorry I'm not so technically inclined with graphs, just make it brief, is the dc03 performing okay? And whats with the phase shift problem, does it affect all dc03 products and its a must to do the reflashing?
This is kinda the wrong forum if you don't like graphs xD

staticV3

Master Contributor
The DC-03 performs well. I imagine that the units that were produced after ibasso released the firmware update have that firmware already applied out of the factory. Older units will have to be flashed by the customer of course.
It's not a must to flash the firmware. The DC-03 will produce music even without the update.

Veri

Master Contributor
Sorry I'm not so technically inclined with graphs, just make it brief, is the dc03 performing okay? And whats with the phase shift problem, does it affect all dc03 products and its a must to do the reflashing?
-it is definitely okay, no real issues apparent to me
-yes, it's a bug, not sure if audible, but if you do the flashing it will be gone :)

Top Bottom