• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MEIZU Hifi Pro USB-C Phone Dongle DAC Review

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey. My DAC produces clicks and pops when using 4G mobile internet. I use a Xiaomi MI 8 light phone. This is a problem ..
Correct. It is. I'm not sure what other response you might be hoping for.

Sinquito

Sorry I totally misread your post and thought that the low range was because your headphones were too much efficient and volume was very high basically all the way.

Sorry didn't mean to be rude.

Other members have already suggested the extension trick, which unfortunately doesn't seem to help. My suggestion of using the Apple dongle still applies though, it's extremely inexpensive and if you can get the US version I think it will work wonders since you already have UAPP. I have the N5005 so I can give it try with both dongles using a Galaxy S20+, but I'm a quieter listener, so maybe enough volume for me couldn't be enough for everyone.

So I made a quick comparison between the Apple USB-C dongle with USBAPP hardware volume to 100% vs Meizu DAC Pro (without messing with USBAPP volume control) and using the same song (Big in Japan - 2019 Remaster from Alphaville)on Spotify, based on my ears, at 9/15 volume from my Galaxy S20+ (Exynos) on the Apple dongle it sounded as loud as the Meizu at 11/15. So not much of a difference, but for me, 8/15 in the Apple dongle was loud enough using the N5005.
20200930_144910.jpg

I know that this isn't a fix for the low volume with low impedance loads on the Meizu, but the Apple dongle is extremely cheap and to my ears sounds as good as the Meizu.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I'm sure, but I think that the trick didn't work for @WondrousHippo and even if it worked, it could be less convenient?

Saw the full thread and deleted. Perhaps not convenient but not hugely inconvenient of you've already bought the meizu that is. Can't figure out why it wouldnt work for somebody though, unless the headphones in question were already above the impedance threshold to trigger high gain . But that is somewhere north of 50 ohms

Sinquito

I think the n5005 are 8 ohms or close to that. I have a small Beyerdynamic extension for smartphones cases. I can give it a try.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the n5005 are 8 ohms or close to that. I have a small Beyerdynamic extension for smartphones cases. I can give it a try.

Be intrigued if you didnt get a big jump in volume between tricked and non-tricked Meizu. Its pretty noticeable on harder to drive IEMs that still fall below the threshold

Sinquito

Just tried, the fancy Beyerdynamic messes up the Meizu dongle, maybe because of the TRRS design? fortunately I had a cheap 3.5 mm extension and that worked flawlessly. I can confirm that volume with this trick in Spotify without USBAPP at 9/15 is louder than Apple dongle with USBAPP hardware volume trick in Spotify at 9/15.
20200930_154155.jpg

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Headfonia just put up a review

https://www.headfonia.com/meizu-hifi-audio-pro-review/

Something weird though. On page two, they describe the Apple USB-C dongle as achieving more volume

"Apple’s $15 AUD is both an affordable and capable alternative to the headphone jack, and makes for a compelling proposition for the wired listener. It actually sounds louder than the Meizu at any given volume level when switched between devices..."

Based on a Amir's measurements of both devices, shouldn't the Meizu be capable of driving headphones to noticeably louder volume? At least, that's my personal experience.

Taddpole

Headfonia just put up a review

https://www.headfonia.com/meizu-hifi-audio-pro-review/

Something weird though. On page two, they describe the Apple USB-C dongle as achieving more volume

"Apple’s $15 AUD is both an affordable and capable alternative to the headphone jack, and makes for a compelling proposition for the wired listener. It actually sounds louder than the Meizu at any given volume level when switched between devices..."

Based on a Amir's measurements of both devices, shouldn't the Meizu be capable of driving headphones to noticeably louder volume? At least, that's my personal experience.

Does seem odd.

More baffled that they are reviewing something that doesn't seem to be available anywhere anymore.

Taddpole

Yeah. They say they got the dongle from Hifigo. I do not think they have had stock for a few months now.
Hopefully they are getting more. More likely they've had it a while and only just got around to testing

C9hris

Anyone how know where zu find the Meizu Pro? Alixpress,Giztop,Gearbest Out of Stock.

Any alternative ?

pez

Hey, it looks like Meizu has a new thing on their US Amazon store. The "Meizu MasterHIFI." Anyone know if this this just the same as the non-pro version of the old product? The forum has literally zero search results for the new product name, and it's not listed at all on their official website, though the specs on the Amazon page for the MasterHIFI match the specs for the Meizu Hifi Pro on their website. I'm suspicious because it's a lot cheaper...

wasnotwasnotwas

Hey, it looks like Meizu has a new thing on their US Amazon store. The "Meizu MasterHIFI." Anyone know if this this just the same as the non-pro version of the old product? The forum has literally zero search results for the new product name, and it's not listed at all on their official website, though the specs on the Amazon page for the MasterHIFI match the specs for the Meizu Hifi Pro on their website. I'm suspicious because it's a lot cheaper...

"Master" makes me think MQA may be involved.

wasnotwasnotwas

I think its either a minor revision to or same as the original "non pro" - and the masterhifi seems to be some branding Cirrus have come up with that MEizu are piggy-backing https://www.cirrus.com/our-technology/audio/hifi/. It was confusing having a pro and non pro.

kirenida

So what would be the recommended replacement since the pro version is currently unavailable on aliexpress?

Veri

Master Contributor
So what would be the recommended replacement since the pro version is currently unavailable on aliexpress?
For IEMs or on the go I use the cheap as hell apple usb-c dongle. With work laptop I use the meizu dongle but if I'd had to buy one now, I would save up and buy an E1DA 9038d. Amir should review this single-ended version of the 9038s some time :) looking forward

miguelx74

Hi guys,
The Meizu Hifi pro is no longer on sale.
What do you think of the Tempotec Sonata hd pro? Who sounds better, Meizu pro or Sonata hd pro?

Top Bottom