• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MEIZU Hifi Pro USB-C Phone Dongle DAC Review

KR8NUX

Do these dongles perform so well because they are simple implementations? Compared to see desktop solutions?

Chilli

Do these dongles perform so well because they are simple implementations? Compared to see desktop solutions?
It is good design and good chip selection. Meizu is quite experienced with designing for audio. It’s how this company started, with making MP3 players. Then, several years ago they were designing phones with DACs and amps built in. I have only just upgraded my Pro5 phone recently. They don’t put so much into their phones anymore, and so we get a decent dongle.

mmicko

The NON Pro version has perfect price/value ratio, but the price of Pro version is already very close to E1DAC from @IVX which is absolutely different class (much more power, less distortion and noise).

Carnajo

Hmm, so if I understand correctly and I just wanted a decent external dac to go from my PC into something like an Atom amp I should get the non-pro version of this since I won't need the extra power and it will do a better job than most desktop DACs?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I'm curious how this compares to the Zorloo Ztella, that should have 2V output and uses the latest ESS chips for mobile use.

mmicko

Hmm, so if I understand correctly and I just wanted a decent external dac to go from my PC into something like an Atom amp I should get the non-pro version of this since I won't need the extra power and it will do a better job than most desktop DACs?
Yes.
Based on the direct comparison posted by duo8 the main advantage of Pro version is better performance with low impedance headphones (under 80 Ohm) so if you want to use it with Atom then Non Pro version should be even better (IMD -107dB vs -103dB in Pro version)
But as we could see the difference between measurement from Amirm and the one posted by duo8, the final performance may be dependent on quality of power voltage...

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anybody have experience using heat-shrink wire tubing as strain relief to prolong the life of dongle devices like these?

I would like a quality USB-C DAC, and $45 is a good price but not for something that would wind up being disposable.

tomli747

Standard version has continual "pop" when it is running at 44.1kHz and it seems to be related to not being asynchronous.
Does the pro version have the same issue?

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Any idea of the power draw?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Standard version has continual "pop" when it is running at 44.1kHz and it seems to be related to not being asynchronous.
Does the pro version have the same issue?
I didn't hear anything like that. Such issues could be player/system dependent.

tomli747

Is there any player on Android that can play with buffering?
I'm using Onkyo HF player and it doesn't have the option.

Top Bottom