• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MEIZU Hifi Pro USB-C Phone Dongle DAC Review

MihaiM

It's just a USB DAC so it sure should. Note it only 'starts up' once a 3.5mm is inserted.
There was a discussion on Reddit somewhere, with multiple Mi 9T Pro users saying they're not getting any sound from USB dongles, so I thought I'd double-check.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's just a USB DAC so it sure should. Note it only 'starts up' once a 3.5mm is inserted.
@MihaiM also, some Android phones need you to enable OTG output before it will recognise the device

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
There was a discussion on Reddit somewhere, with multiple Mi 9T Pro users saying they're not getting any sound from USB dongles, so I thought I'd double-check.
Works fine (USB audio 1.2.) on my old Mi Max (MIUI 10, Android 7.) can't confirm for Mi T9 Pro.

Loki

Hi, I'm looking for a dongle dac amp to use with sony mh1c(specs:15Ω, sens 115db/v, freq 1-20khz, mip_67mW) on a laptop and galaxy a50
1582839412143.png

I have shortlisted some according to my preference:
-Samsung type c to 3.5mm cable ~10$ (just because it's the only one available officially online in my country)
-Meizu hifi dac std/pro ~28-40$ (Does mh1c is going to benefit from hifi specs of meizu's like 40khz/32bit?)
-Tempotec sonata hd type c to 3.5mm dac ~21$ (Is it any good?)
-Apple type c to 3.5mm cable ~13$ (samsung has more volume than apple according to gsmarena reviews but here it seems different)
or any other suggestions under 60$
What are the max output power for these adapters for 15Ω iem cause I want something loud clean smooth than smartphones?
The only hifi experience I have is with budget smartphones which includes asus ze551ml and nokia 6.1.
z2.jpg
6.1.jpg

Both have flat freq response while asus was good, nokia gives mh1c's already fun sound signature better pronounced upper trebles, smooth mids/lower treble, less mid bass bloat nice punchy sub bass with decent volume and soundstage. The kind of a sound signature I prefer.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi, I'm looking for a dongle dac amp to use with sony mh1c(specs:15Ω, sens 115db/v, freq 1-20khz, mip_67mW) on a laptop and galaxy a50View attachment 51989
I have shortlisted some according to my preference:
-Samsung type c to 3.5mm cable ~10$ (just because it's the only one available officially online in my country)
-Meizu hifi dac std/pro ~28-40$ (Does mh1c is going to benefit from hifi specs of meizu's like 40khz/32bit?)
-Tempotec sonata hd type c to 3.5mm dac ~21$ (Is it any good?)
-Apple type c to 3.5mm cable ~13$ (samsung has more volume than apple according to gsmarena reviews but here it seems different)
or any other suggestions under 60$
What are the max output power for these adapters for 15Ω iem cause I want something loud clean smooth than smartphones?
The only hifi experience I have is with budget smartphones which includes asus ze551ml and nokia 6.1.
View attachment 51976View attachment 51977
Both have flat freq response while asus was good, nokia gives mh1c's already fun sound signature better pronounced upper trebles, smooth mids/lower treble, less mid bass bloat nice punchy sub bass with decent volume and soundstage. The kind of a sound signature I prefer.
All of them will be loud enough.

You will benefit from the Meizu Dac even if you don't have hires Flac files because of its superior performance.

The only reason to choose the Meizu Pro is if you must have bit perfect playback in UAPP. Otherwise, the non Pro will perform exactly the same.

The Apple dongle can have issues when used with Android, but if you only have $10 to spare, it will give you the best sound.

I have the Sonata II and I cannot recommend it.

The mh755 sounds better than the mh1, but modding it is almost necessary.

Loki

All of them will be loud enough.

You will benefit from the Meizu Dac even if you don't have hires Flac files because of its superior performance.

The only reason to choose the Meizu Pro is if you must have bit perfect playback in UAPP. Otherwise, the non Pro will perform exactly the same.

The Apple dongle can have issues when used with Android, but if you only have $10 to spare, it will give you the best sound.

I have the Sonata II and I cannot recommend it.

The mh755 sounds better than the mh1, but modding it is almost necessary.
Thanks for the reply
How does samsung compares to apple cause that's easily available and apple's definitely gonna have issues with android I think.

I don't own mh755's but had experience once all I remember is that it's similar to mh1's with less bass boost and upper treble kinda maybe more neutral with similar smooth mids. I think I'll prefer more sub bass and higher high's of mh1's. Also there might be more chance of getting fake ones of mh75X's.

MDZPNMD

Thanks for the reply
How does samsung compares to apple cause that's easily available and apple's definitely gonna have issues with android I think.

I don't own mh755's but had experience once all I remember is that it's similar to mh1's with less bass boost and upper treble kinda maybe more neutral with similar smooth mids. I think I'll prefer more sub bass and higher high's of mh1's. Also there might be more chance of getting fake ones of mh75X's.

A bit off topic but as someone with a collection of MH755s I can say that you can get real ones from Kanoya on ebay. I got fake ones (black) from them once, they refunded me within 24 hours and removed them from the shop. The white ones I got from them are 100% the real deal.

kocengkereng

Im really confused about which from these dongle i should buy ; meizu hifi pro, sonata hd pro, and iBasso dc02. Im planning on using this with khastadio os-01, semi open headphones with 64ohm and 98 sensitivity. Which one should i get among those three?

Veri

Master Contributor
Im really confused about which from these dongle i should buy ; meizu hifi pro, sonata hd pro, and iBasso dc02. Im planning on using this with khastadio os-01, semi open headphones with 64ohm and 98 sensitivity. Which one should i get among those three?
the iBasso is the worst of those, wouldn't get that one at least

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
the iBasso is the worst of those, wouldn't get that one at least
I have the meizu and the sonata. The latter has more juice. And cheaper. Both sound good and measure well. Can't say if either could drive your HP loud enough for yoir tastes though.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Both Meizu Pro and Sonata Pro are $39.99.

The Meizu has more power at 33ohm and the S8 has more at 300ohm.

The S8 consumes 50% more power than the Meizu Pro.

The S8 sounds a tad more detailed and has a noticeably wider soundstage, but lows and highs sound weirdly boosted/artificial. As a result the Meizu Pro sounds more neutral.
However, this effect is extremely minor and impossible to notice without some concentrated A/B listening imo.

kocengkereng

Both Meizu Pro and Sonata Pro are $39.99.

The Meizu has more power at 33ohm and the S8 has more at 300ohm.

The S8 consumes 50% more power than the Meizu Pro.

The S8 sounds a tad more detailed and has a noticeably wider soundstage, but lows and highs sound weirdly boosted/artificial. As a result the Meizu Pro sounds more neutral.
However, this effect is extremely minor and impossible to notice without some concentrated A/B listening imo.
Thank you for reply! For some reason the seller for meizu in my local online store suddenly increased the price to 55$ just this night lol, might get the s8/sonata hd pro. Thank you!

keepit100

Hi,

I've just discovered dongle dacs and they may be the perfect solution to what I am after, just a couple of questions and would appreciate any answers. Thanks

I have an old Redmi Note 5 mobile, which I will be upgrading to the note 9 which is being released this week. The problem I am trying to solve is the volume I am getting from my headphone jack on the phone is not loud, I am assuming the new phone will be somewhat similar. On top of this I would like a 'cleaner' sound, however I don't want to sacrifice too much battery life.

I know that the MEIZU has a vrms of 1.748 but I don't know if that would translate into a significantly louder sound on the kit I am using ? (below)

Phone audio review and Stats
https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_5_plus-review-1713p3.php
Frequency response Noise level Dynamic range THD IMD + Noise Stereo crosstalk
+0.06, -0.02 -92.4 92.3 0.0023 0.025 -76.3

SoundMagic 10c
Impedance (ohm) - 16 Ω | Frequency response - 15-22kHz| Sensitivity - 100dB/mW

The other concern is battery drain; I know that depends on a number of factors such as type of earphones and volume etc, but in the review below, it suggests a battery drain of upto 20-25%, which seems quite high. I know it states that high impedance load drains battery quicker, but to be honest I'm not sure what that means for me - I only use budget type earphone, currently the SoundMagic 10c

5:00 onwards

Asylum Seeker

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi,

I've just discovered dongle dacs and they may be the perfect solution to what I am after, just a couple of questions and would appreciate any answers. Thanks

I have an old Redmi Note 5 mobile, which I will be upgrading to the note 9 which is being released this week. The problem I am trying to solve is the volume I am getting from my headphone jack on the phone is not loud, I am assuming the new phone will be somewhat similar. On top of this I would like a 'cleaner' sound, however I don't want to sacrifice too much battery life.

I know that the MEIZU has a vrms of 1.748 but I don't know if that would translate into a significantly louder sound on the kit I am using ? (below)

Phone audio review and Stats
https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_5_plus-review-1713p3.php
Frequency response Noise level Dynamic range THD IMD + Noise Stereo crosstalk
+0.06, -0.02 -92.4 92.3 0.0023 0.025 -76.3

SoundMagic 10c
Impedance (ohm) - 16 Ω | Frequency response - 15-22kHz| Sensitivity - 100dB/mW

The other concern is battery drain; I know that depends on a number of factors such as type of earphones and volume etc, but in the review below, it suggests a battery drain of upto 20-25%, which seems quite high. I know it states that high impedance load drains battery quicker, but to be honest I'm not sure what that means for me - I only use budget type earphone, currently the SoundMagic 10c

5:00 onwards
1) Vrms ist only half the story. mW is more indicative of the max volume.
2) Power consumption is not really dependent on load and impedance, at least not for IEMs. All these dongles will use their base power consumption regardless of volume until you get to inefficient headphones. The Meizu Pro uses 300mW btw.

keepit100

2) Power consumption is not really dependent on load and impedance, at least not for IEMs. All these dongles will use their base power consumption regardless of volume until you get to inefficient headphones. The Meizu Pro uses 300mW btw.

Is there any way of knowing if it will be lounder before I buy ? I have the base specs of the phone, iem and the meizu. I don't see mw specified for all 3. I do however see that the Meizsu hits 103db and the phone jack is about 92db - Is this a good measure to take ?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there any way of knowing if it will be lounder before I buy ? I have the base specs of the phone, iem and the meizu. I don't see mw specified for all 3. I do however see that the Meizsu hits 103db and the phone jack is about 92db - Is this a good measure to take ?
Before you splash out, try the app "USB audio player Pro" (UAPP). There may be free apps too that circumvent androids sound settings and limits. Might be your HP jack can go louder

Top Bottom