• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Megadeth's new album... sometimes I wish I wasn't an "audiophile"

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have just listened to the album... Well, there was I reason why I stopped caring about Megadeth around 20 years ago.

Save yourself some time and go for Slayer.

Or, if you want to save even more time or have had your fill of the Slayer song, skip all the 80s thrash dinosaurs and give a bit more modern bands a chance, like Goatwhore, Skeletonwitch, Vektor...

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Or, if you want to save even more time or have had your fill of the Slayer song, skip all the 80s thrash dinosaurs and give a bit more modern bands a chance, like Goatwhore, Skeletonwitch, Vektor...
Such a shame Dew Scented are split up.

HappyMetalGuy

Megadeth released their 16th studio album, "The Sick, The Dying... and the Dead!" on Sept 2nd. I preordered the cd weeks ago as I was looking forward to it.

The music itself is pretty darn good. A solid 8/10. But the entire album has clipping/distortion present throughout that is sometimes rather distracting. Some people claim they can't hear it but to me it's very obvious, regardless of what speakers and source I'm using. I listen on my Elacs. I listen on my factory Toyota stereo. I tried the cd, mp3, and YouTube. The clipping is always there.

I'm not expecting a perfect Diana Krall level audio, but the amount of distortion on this album is unacceptable and just shouldn't happen. It reminds me of RHCP's Californication.

There will be moments when I'm really getting into the music and then I'm immediately distracted by the distortion and it removes me from the music.

I notice it least on my $10 gym headphones when I'm working out. And that's when I enjoy the album the most. Which is unfortunate because the guitars, sans clipping, sound awesome.
I'm not an "audiophile", I have the vinyl. Solid 8.0/10 for me.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Dynamic Range DB
It's not worth worrying much about the DR score on loudness-war.info. Vinyl's better dynamic range is usually a result of inherent distortion rather than a better master. It's almost a guarantee that your vinyl album uses the plain old digital master with the "bad" dynamic range score.

More info on how vinyl's distortion inflates DR scores:

Last edited:

HappyMetalGuy

It's not worth worrying much about the DR score on loudness-war.info. Vinyl's better dynamic range is usually a result of inherent distortion rather than a better master. It's almost a guarantee that your vinyl album uses the plain old digital master with the "bad" dynamic range score.

More info on how vinyl's distortion inflates DR scores:
did you use musicscope for the Flac 24-96 LP?

pagan84

It is worth to snoop for alternative versions sometimes, Qobuz or iTunes or artist's website, torrent for vinyl rips etc.
Death Magnetic Mastered for iTunes from Metallica website had DR7 instead of DR3/4 (original cd).
Re-releases of Mercyful Fate/King Diamond 80s catalogue are the original masters (except Melissa - a new master with very high DR) - 2020 CDs and Bandcamp.

VINYLrips:
Early Bathory - original masters available only as Vinyl rips, all CDs are remasters.
Lana Del Ray - vocals deeper in the mix but that might be because of the toolchain used to rip the vinyl.
Except that I usually avoid VinylRips, IMO there is no significant sound difference which probably means they use the same digital masters.

Also ripping vinyls to 32bit/192kHz FLAC is..... I don't know... At least a waste of space lol

Top Bottom