• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mega hi fi system

DJ Dave

In the 70's i built a mega hi fi system using a turntable fed into a SF 700 Pioneer active crossover, which fed three phases into three amplifiers. One amp feeding 2 x 12 inch woofers. Second amp feeding 4 x 8 inch midrange speakers. The third amp feeding 2 x horn tweeters. My question is this. I am busy re-creating a replica system. Have a Technics turntable and would like to know from all the boffins out there what would be the best active crossover network to use with this system. I would be feeding 1 x Cambridge 851 E Pre amp that would be feeding 2 x Cambridge 851 Azure amps on bridged mono feeding 2 x 500 watt 8 ohm Eminence woofers. The mid range would feed into 1 x Cambridge 851 E pre-amp then into 1 x Cambridge 851 Azure amp feeding 4 x 8 inch 125 watt 8 ohm Eminence mid range speakers. The high would feed into a Cambridge 601 integrated amp that would feed 2 x 50 watt 8 ohm horn tweeters.I would like to know which active crossover would be best suited to this application, any ideas.
best regards
DJ Dave

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey DJ Dave,

Do you want all this to run in balanced XLR or single-ended?

And do you have a budget?

Cheers,
Andreas

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use a Behringer DCX2496 in my 3 way active system, with complete success. It does pretty much everything you need, and at a sensible price. Can't fault it.

S

OP
D

DJ Dave

Hey DJ Dave,

Cheers,
Andreas
Hey DJ Dave,

Cheers,
Andreas
In the 70's i built a mega hi fi system using a turntable fed into a SF 700 Pioneer active crossover, which fed three phases into three amplifiers. One amp feeding 2 x 12 inch woofers. Second amp feeding 4 x 8 inch midrange speakers. The third amp feeding 2 x horn tweeters. My question is this. I am busy re-creating a replica system. Have a Technics turntable and would like to know from all the boffins out there what would be the best active crossover network to use with this system. I would be feeding 1 x Cambridge 851 E Pre amp that would be feeding 2 x Cambridge 851 Azure amps on bridged mono feeding 2 x 500 watt 8 ohm Eminence woofers. The mid range would feed into 1 x Cambridge 851 E pre-amp then into 1 x Cambridge 851 Azure amp feeding 4 x 8 inch 125 watt 8 ohm Eminence mid range speakers. The high would feed into a Cambridge 601 integrated amp that would feed 2 x 50 watt 8 ohm horn tweeters.I would like to know which active crossover would be best suited to this application, any ideas.
best regards
DJ Dave

OP
D

DJ Dave

Hey Andreas,
Thanks for your reply. The subject of XLR verses single ended is a complex one with varying opinions. I understand that the real value is when running cable 4M and over. My connections are less than a meter so for the time being i will run single -ended which is punchier. I have the capability of changing to XLR as pre and main amps have capability for both, but the price forXLR can go up to £ 6,900 per cable most expensive. mad price.
I do have a budget, but i am looking for a good quality active crossover with value for money.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Hey Andreas,
Thanks for your reply. The subject of XLR verses single ended is a complex one with varying opinions. I understand that the real value is when running cable 4M and over. My connections are less than a meter so for the time being i will run single -ended which is punchier. I have the capability of changing to XLR as pre and main amps have capability for both, but the price forXLR can go up to £ 6,900 per cable most expensive. mad price.
I do have a budget, but i am looking for a good quality active crossover with value for money.
There is absolutely no need to spend huge sums on XLR cables, or any cable for that matter. Unbalanced "audiophile" cable can get just as pricey, if not more so.

If an unbalanced cable sounds acceptably good to you, its balanced XLR stable mate will too, in all likelihood. And, often, the wire itself is identical in 2-wire plus shield configuration, although I prefer 3-wire plus shield balanced. And, there are bargains in low capacitance mic XLR cables, just like the pros use in most of our recordings.

Top Bottom