• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Meeting Bob Carver Tomorrow!

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
He's (sal) from Chicago so...

Iv been to where most of you live, yes you watchnerd and sal and amir .. Frank has it better! Regardless of his supposed imaginings. He lives in the blue mountains that frankly shits on where we live . .. ( possibly not where I'm from but certainly where I now reside)

I've been to the Blue Mountains. They're very nice. But I'd put coastal California up against it any day.

Florida, on the other hand... well, I guess if you come from a snow belt it's a nice change.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I met Bob Carver many times in the primordial past (I was a kid and it was long ago). Quite a guy. I had a Phase 700 (original) for a while but it kept blowing output transistors, and the failure mechanism usually put the supply rail on the speaker terminals. Great when it worked but I was happy to get rid of it. A friend's 700B never failed. I hated the Cube and surprised my boss/store owner by walking in while it was playing and asking what the heck was hooked up to &*^^ up the sound. OTOH a friend of mine, owns B&W 803D's now, had and loved his Cube. Heard the Amazing Loudspeaker many times and came close but didn't have the funds (and my IRS 2's and Maggies were doing me well). What I would love to hear now is that big tube amp of his...
Amirs doing that right now :)

If he's not got lost trying to find the location that is...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This is what I do: feed SS mono blocks (Class D) with a tube pre.
If you love it that's all that matters. ;) That approach just always seem a bit backward approach to me.

My preferred system used no active preamp at all, instead using a McCormack Line Drive. Close attention must be paid to sources and power amp specs so as not to introduce any FR issues, but that's pretty simple. From there using Dave Manley's VTL monoblocks (ultra linear push pull) to handle the main speakers full range, and a lowpass crossover to NAD SS monoblocks on the bottom stereo subwoofers from 80hz down.

Straight wire like 'pre amp", zero distortion or coloration.
The very best of low distortion/coloration modern tube amp design.
Great SS control and power on the bottom end.
At least that's the theory.
YMMV :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Ya still from the car capital sal, that never leaves you.
Yea your right.
You can take the man out of Chicago
But you can't take Chicago out of the man.

But that's the good stuff.
That and I'm not shoveling snow and freezing my b-lls off up in Antarctica.
Took almost 65 years but I finally got smart. LOL

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
If you love it that's all that matters. ;) That approach just always seem a bit backward approach to me.

My preferred system used no active preamp at all, instead using a McCormack Line Drive. Close attention must be paid to sources and power amp specs so as not to introduce any FR issues, but that's pretty simple. From there using Dave Manley's VTL monoblocks (ultra linear push pull) to handle the main speakers full range, and a lowpass crossover to NAD SS monoblocks on the bottom stereo subwoofers from 80hz down.

Straight wire like 'pre amp", zero distortion or coloration.
The very best of low distortion/coloration modern tube amp design.
Great SS control and power on the bottom end.
At least that's the theory.
YMMV :)

Well, when I get tired of tube euphonics, my preamp can switch modes to JFET buffer or completely passive, so it's all on the menu.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Well, when I get tired of tube euphonics, my preamp can switch modes to JFET buffer or completely passive, so it's all on the menu.
I was thinking yesterday about that mike preamp you posted. It has line level inputs and with a pair of them a tweaker could tune to his hearts content. Going pure tube, SS, or any blend in between.
YO Frank, LOL

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I was thinking yesterday about that mike preamp you posted. It has line level inputs and with a pair of them a tweaker could tune to his hearts content. Going pure tube, SS, or any blend in between.
YO Frank, LOL

Yep, an infinitely variable tweak.

You could make an optimal tubs vs SS setting for each album. Nay, each track!

And then get into tube rolling...

It's enough to keep a misanthropic hermit occupied full time.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
YO Frank, LOL

You'd need 2, though, so it would look like this:

710_twinfinity_carousel_2.jpg

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
nothing, I say nothing, wrong with a tone control to suit your taste.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

fas42

Major Contributor
I've been to the Blue Mountains. They're very nice. But I'd put coastal California up against it any day.

Florida, on the other hand... well, I guess if you come from a snow belt it's a nice change.
Every place has its pluses, every one has its minuses. I've lived in various spots up here, usually in sheltered areas with not so brilliant views, and now currently relatively exposed, with a very nice outlook. Tradeoff is that one gets very strong Westerly winds at times, and at this time of the year can be with a very hot bite. I grew up as a real bushie, meaning much further out again, in very flat, sparsely vegetated, cattle grazing country - as a taste, it was a regular run when I was very young to go out and shoot a couple of kangaroos, to feed the dogs.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
King, did you get to do it and can you write it up Sir.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Ya still from the car capital sal, that never leaves you.
Way beyond "nice" bro, as close as you can get to living on the Caribbean Islands here in the continental US. A little slice of paradise. ;)
IMG_0080_v1.jpeg

Top Bottom