• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Meditation improves wine taste in blind taste test

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This actually makes sense. Mindfulness meditation increases our sensitivity to the sensory input, and makes people more aware of what they sense. Entirely reasonable that one can enjoy wine even more when being more attuned to how the sensory organs react.

Btw, similar things have been shown when it comes to auditory stimuli. If subjects hear a clicking sound for 30 minutes or so, the brain will start filtering it out, and won't react to every single click. The exception to this pattern is trained Buddhist monks. Their brains keep on registering every single click, even after prolonged periods of exposure to the clicking. It's because they have trained themselves to be very aware of their sensory input. (read a study on this some time ago, can see if I find it again)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
" Explore, a unique if often credulity-stretching Elsevier academic journal"

I like the delicate phrasing there. ;)

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just realized that I misunderstood what the study was about... read the article too fast before commenting! I thought it was the tasters that had undergone meditation prior to tasting the wine. But no, it was the wine itself that had been meditated upon, and thereby gotten an improved taste... Well well. I harbor some doubts that these results will change the wine industry.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It's certainly goofy, but is it any goofier than stuff like biodynamics?

I've set up and run several hundred double-blind experiments in organoleptic wine evaluation and I confess that meditation was something I did not control for.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's certainly goofy, but is it any goofier than stuff like biodynamics?

I've set up and run several hundred double-blind experiments in organoleptic wine evaluation and I confess that meditation was something I did not control for.

Biodynamic agriculture is mostly just fluff. I buy bio eggs and bio milk because bio certification requires that the chickens and cows are treated decently, but that's about it. Bio vegetables are not more healthy, and require more resources than conventional agriculture.

As for the effect of meditation on taste, it's more or less similar to the claim that "LSD will make music sound better", which I regard as a very reasonable claim. Have yet to hear anybody claim that wine-makers who use LSD during the wine-making will end up making better wine...

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Have yet to hear anybody claim that wine-makers who use LSD during the wine-making will end up making better wine...

Try Coturri, if you dare. I'm not sure if they do acid, but wouldn't be surprised- their weed consumption has always been remarkable. Perhaps it's the LSD which makes their wine so profoundly and remarkably horrible.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I find drinking less wine makes wine taste better, it’s a fruit based drink so it’s really just for girls anyway.

They do make MQA wine, it gets put in a centrifuged and has its alcohol content reduced to fumes and apparently leaves the wine full flavoured..,

Apparently.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Music listening is meditation.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Another question I had on this paper, which I don't have access to the original, was there statistical treatment of the results. It is clear they had people vote on the wine preference. They did this 12 times. A majority which is unspecified vote for the meditated wine 11 of 12 times. Each tasting group had seven people in it. So were those results 4 to 3 eleven times and 3 to 4 the twelfth time? If so were those grouped together it wouldn't meet the threshold of 5%. Were some of those 5 to 2 or better? I don't know without seeing the paper. And we still don't know if it was all double blind to the test tasters.

Further this publication Explorer is full of holistic medicine research, herbal treatment of serious medical conditions and intentional mental effects on physical reality research. Basically quack bs.

Pavano

This actually makes sense. Mindfulness meditation increases our sensitivity to the sensory input, and makes people more aware of what they sense. Entirely reasonable that one can enjoy wine even more when being more attuned to how the sensory organs react.

Btw, similar things have been shown when it comes to auditory stimuli. If subjects hear a clicking sound for 30 minutes or so, the brain will start filtering it out, and won't react to every single click. The exception to this pattern is trained Buddhist monks. Their brains keep on registering every single click, even after prolonged periods of exposure to the clicking. It's because they have trained themselves to be very aware of their sensory input. (read a study on this some time ago, can see if I find it again)

Do you have some study with the click filtering you could point me at? Would like to read up on this :)

Wombat

Master Contributor
Another question I had on this paper, which I don't have access to the original, was there statistical treatment of the results. It is clear they had people vote on the wine preference. They did this 12 times. A majority which is unspecified vote for the meditated wine 11 of 12 times. Each tasting group had seven people in it. So were those results 4 to 3 eleven times and 3 to 4 the twelfth time? If so were those grouped together it wouldn't meet the threshold of 5%. Were some of those 5 to 2 or better? I don't know without seeing the paper. And we still don't know if it was all double blind to the test tasters.

Further this publication Explorer is full of holistic medicine research, herbal treatment of serious medical conditions and intentional mental effects on physical reality research. Basically quack bs.

A magazine called NEXUS looks OK at first-sight but is full of pseudoscience and imaginings. One look at the advertising leaves no doubt as to who it is aimed.

Top Bottom