• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Media Server with iOS/Android remote that can cast to Chromecast without transcoding

herculepirate

Is there a media server that can serve FLAC (24bit 96khz max resolution) to a Chromecast without transcoding.
I have tried PLEX and it transcodes audio to mp3 or m4a.

There should be a remote to browse the media on a phone/ipad and should be able to cast to Chromecast.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You should be able to set Plex not to transcode. There is a setting.

OP
H

herculepirate

PLEX natively supports only mp3 and m4a. it will transcode FLAC to one of these.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

SKBubba

Roon.

Chromecast Audio or Chromecast? Regular Chromecast resamples to 48k. Chromecast Audio is supposedly good up to 24/96.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@sarumbear
I just could not locate this option. Is it on the Plex Server or Media player. If you can please provide me with a link or instructions.
I haven’t used it myself. You have the link, maybe Google or the Plex forum will help?

Chazz6

The BubbleUPnP Server is not a real server. It is a sort of placeholder that helps BubbleUPnP proper. That is probably why Apebrain recommended Minimserver as your server program. I use it on a Windows PC where I have my files stored (and the PC has Web access, so I can also get to streams). BubbleUPnP is a control point. You put it on an Android tablet or phone, for example, and control what file or stream Minimserver should serve next.

This setup works well for me. If I had an iPhone or iPad, I'd get an Android tablet just to run BubbleUPnP.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
logitechmediaserver with the chromecast bridge plugin in pass-through mode. There are multiple remote apps available - examples are iPeng for iOS and Squeezer for Android. If you use the Material Skin plugin a pinned web view is pretty close to a native remote app too.

MrOtto

You can stream local files on phone directly to Chromecast Audio from Android phone using BubbleUPnP android app. You can have BubbleUPnP server running to play files from computer. I use the media server in Foobar2000 with BubbleUPnP server. BubbeUPnP only transcodes files which are not supported by CCA. It supports among other MP3 and FLAC up to 24/96. You can click on "show metadata" to see if it transcodes the files you are playing. It will add somthing like "converted" to the url of the file. You can also remove all transcode options in settings, so it can't play natively supported files by CCA.

USB Audio Player Pro, UAPP also supports casting to CCA. Not sure about transcoding. Edit: UAPP has removed Chromecast support? It was added in v6, but I can't find it my latest version.

Last edited:
OP
H

herculepirate

One thing is certain.
Solutions listed here are not simple.
I have found my streamer option in Nvidia Shield but the backend on the server side and app to browse. No simple options

F

freemansteve

I have tried this, and it seems way less cluttered than Plex.... And probably doesn't report personal data to somewhere.

Top Bottom