• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measuring With UDIO-8 and a Focusrite SPDIF Out

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I need help from someone with experience with either, Audiolense, UDIO-8 or Focusrite Audio Interface or even better, preferably all. Might be a hard ask...

What I am doing is specific but in order to use the minidsp ASIO driver for measuring within Audiolense I need to choose both input and output as minidsp ASIO(or possibly Focusrite ASIO). I am not sure how to use the input on the UDIO-8.

Focusrite Mix controller has been routed properly and I can get sound to come out of the SPDIF out of the interface.

1. Do I just connect the RCA cable from the Focusrite out to the BNC input with an adapter between the two RCA connections?
2. Does it go into input 1/2? I mean do I have to somehow route the inputs for UDIO-8 to know that it will recieve input? My understanding is that 1/2 do not need routing they work autmotacally.
3. and do I choose minidsp ASIO or Focusrite ASIO for playback and input in the measurement box? I think it has to be minidsp ASIO but I am getting no feeback for the mic so I must be doing something wrong.

EDIT.

Maybe I should rephrase this.

If I chose Foccusrite ASIO then the SPDIF out of the Scarlett will go into the UDIO-8 input but how does the UDIO-8 input go out through the output of the UDIO-8? If that is what is supposed to happen. With this option I get the mic working but can't get output from the system.

If I chose UDIO-8 minidsp ASIO, I have the channel routing for the tri-amp good but can't get any feedback for the mic. How does the UDIO-8 know that it needs to receive the input from the Focusrite?

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I guess the Focusrite is an 8i6, 18i8 or 18i20?

It would have been smarter to buy the UDIO-8 with the RCA-terminated cable in the first place, but I guess adapters should work if you don't feel like shelling out another $50. RCA doesn't really have a defined impedance anyway and we're at just a few MHz, so I doubt the (50 ohm) BNCs are going to hurt anything.

If you have a multichannel audio interface, what is it that you need the UDIO for in the first place? A Scarlett should be quite capable of full duplex operation with both playback and recording, though I wouldn't count on independent sample rates and aim to keep those in sync both ways.

I guess the UDIO has the DSP software for your crossover?

Then I'm afraid your stuff won't go together like you need it to. You cannot get multichannel audio out of the UDIO into the Scarlett, but rather you'd need a smattering of stereo DACs (3 to be precise, and they need not be the same type).

But isn't the crossover supposed to be Acourate's job?

I'm still at a loss as to what you need the UDIO for.

OP
Trdat

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I guess the Focusrite is an 8i6, 18i8 or 18i20?
Appreciate your response, I actually managed to work out what I needed it wasn't too compicated.

I am aware that my set up is unique and confusing but its common in multichannel set ups. I have the 6i6 and only needed to use it connected to the input of the UDIO-8 for measuring.

The UDIO-8 is the digital to digital converter that connects to each DAC. Which I am sure you know.

Audiolense is the DSP which manages the crossover, which I am sure you know but were confused.

The focusrite I use for measuring and on this occasion needed the SPDIF connected to the input of the UDIO-8 so the measuring could be done with the minidsp ASIO driver. So essentially, all I needed to do was to route the mic directly to the SPDIF out on the focusrite and I managed to measure with the minidsp ASIO driver.

Unfortunately, when I bought the UDIO there was no RCA connections only BNC so I have added the connectors.

Top Bottom