• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measuring/recording headphone sound. What mic to use?

skam22

Hi,
I've been a long-time visitor of this forum but never posted anything before. This is my first post. I've read a lot about measuring headphone FR using different gears such as GRAS. I was thinking about recording the audio of my headphone instead (not to be confused with FR measuring which uses pink noise). For example, I play track x and record the audio from my headphone.
I was wondering what type/model of mic I should use? Obviously the mic needs to support 20hz - 20khz and possibly have a low noise floor.

Thanks in advance for all responses.

OP
S

skam22

What is your goal? To capture the tonality that you are hearing?
Yes, I have few high-res audio files that I'd like to play and record them when played from my headphone then compare the output to the original track. I know it seems a bit weird! :)

I was thinking of buying Roland CS-10EM and wear them along with my headphone on top of it but I doubt the outcome would be good.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom