• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measuring HRTF for headphone use

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What we call cross-talk is a natural element of hearing individual sources, and one of the features enabling us to localise. Question is, if it’s always a benign mechanism, e.g. considering reproduction of composite content?

For those of us going to AES in NYC next month, David Griesinger will be playing excellent binaural recordings using ultra-nearfield monitoring with cross-talk cancellation; which is an elegant way of separating humanisation in recording from personalisation in reproduction. I suggest you go listen and make up your own mind.

As I'm not going to be at the AES, I'd love to hear some feedback from those who will be there. And what does ultra-nearfiled monitoring mean? Is it just sitting very close to the speakers? Or even closer, speakers sitting inside one's ears? ;)

I've played around with crosstalk cancelation in a normal listening position speaker set up. This wasn't a huge improvement but noticeable, and took a few iterations with the folks producing these filters (@Home Audio Fidelity ) to get it just right. Thierry worked with me to troubleshoot and improve the convolution filters until they produced a noticeable improvement on well-recorded, acoustic music. IIRC, the amount of cross-talk cancellation produced by these filters at the listening position was not much more than 10%. But these were not individualized, other than being configured for the proper relative position of the speakers to the listening position.

Shikamon

Welp, just did a little measurement session for my Status CB1 headphones. Here are my results:

Status CB1 In Ear Measure.png

And then after correcting them:

Status CB1 In Ear Measure_Correction.png

After listening to them when corrected, it sounds pretty dull in some way. Was this the same case for you @pkane when you did yours based on your initial thread response? :0

Attachments

• Status CB1 In Ear Measure_Correction.png
    Status CB1 In Ear Measure_Correction.png
    79.8 KB · Views: 91

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I don't think there really is 14dB peak at 6kHz at all.
At least these measurements suggests not so nor have I ever measured any peak being that high.

This is most likely a measurement error.

The 'result' may well be flat measuring but the actual result will not be.

Shikamon

@solderdude Yeah I'm been getting some odd measurements with these in ear mics. I feel they're not as flat as they're projected to be based on the product's frequency response. I did a comparison of the SP-TFB-2 with my Dayton iMM-6 (which I trust is flat with the given .cal file they provide). I held them a about over a foot away from my speaker and this is what i get:

SP-TFB-2 vs Dayton iMM-6.png

That peak could have been due to this but I was told that calibrating mics for compensation of headphones shouldn't matter. I feel to disagree with that. Thoughts? :0

solderdude

Grand Contributor
To check speakers I would measure them outdoors, away from reflective surfaces, on axis and 1 meter away.

For measuring headphones I don't think it is wise to alter the frequency response, measure an altered response and correct on that.

Shikamon

@solderdude The measurements I've shown are meant to compare how the mic's differ. The two above are the left and right mic of the SP-TFB-2 and the lower is the Dayton iMM-6. :0

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I assume with the mics in your ear and same distance as the Dayton.

How do the mics compare in free-field pointed towards the speaker. I would assume they will be comparable.

Shikamon

@solderdude Yeah they're comparable. The graph shows just that. The in ear mics are held in free field in front of the speaker as well as the Dayton mic. :)

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Welp, just did a little measurement session for my Status CB1 headphones. Here are my results:

View attachment 33859

And then after correcting them:

View attachment 33861

After listening to them when corrected, it sounds pretty dull in some way. Was this the same case for you @pkane when you did yours based on your initial thread response? :0

That's a large jump at 6kHz! Try correcting the response to a 10dB (20Hz-20kHz) declining line. See if this is a little better sounding. How do they sound without the correction?

Something is strange if you are getting nearly a 20dB bump at 6kHz...

Shikamon

@pkane yeah but the slope wont do much good if the in ear mics, when measure in free field, compare differently to my Dayton iMM-6. Check out my previous thread to see what I mean. I wonder if there is a way other than comparing mics that I can do to verify if my in ear mics have a flat response...

Last edited:
OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@pkane yeah but the slope wont do much good if the in ear mics, when measure in free field, compare differently to my Dayton iMM-6. I wonder if there is a way other than comparing mics that I can do to verify if my in ear mics have a flat response...

The simplest way is to equalize flat response from a speaker using a known flat-response mic. You can then try the inear mic in the same position as the measurement mic to see how different the response is. This is not perfect due to different dispersion pattern, but may be enough to detect large differences.

Shikamon

@solderdude Yeah I'm been getting some odd measurements with these in ear mics. I feel they're not as flat as they're projected to be based on the product's frequency response. I did a comparison of the SP-TFB-2 with my Dayton iMM-6 (which I trust is flat with the given .cal file they provide). I held them a about over a foot away from my speaker and this is what i get:

View attachment 33863

That peak could have been due to this but I was told that calibrating mics for compensation of headphones shouldn't matter. I feel to disagree with that. Thoughts? :0

@pkane In that case, I should calibrate the difference from my other measurement mic I have as I have more faith that Dayton took the time to calibrate the mic properly as no two same mics have the same exact frequency response curve. :0

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@pkane In that case, I should calibrate the difference from my other measurement mic I have as I have more faith that Dayton took the time to calibrate the mic properly as no two same mics have the same exact frequency response curve. :0

Right. I’d trust a calibrated mic much more than an uncalibrated one.

Shikamon

Just did a second measurement with my in ear mic's calibrated. Seems to look a bit better than before:

Status CB1 In Ear Measure_Cal Mic.png

And after apply compensation EQ:

Status CB1 In Ear Measure_Cal Mic_Comp.png

Pretty interesting with the compensated measure curve as it has a warm tilt to it. And I compensated to a flat line too which I think looks better than the uncalibrated measurements. :)

Right now I'm listening to some tunes and they sound pretty nice, at least in sounding flat with a warm tilt. Is that what I should be hearing for my HRTF? :0

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I got an old STAX SR-X MK3 headphone but not the PRO type.
Did anyone of you guys know how big the difference in frequency response is compared to the PRO type?
I can find measurements of the PRO but non of the non-Pro.

Best DrCWO

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I got an old STAX SR-X MK3 headphone but not the PRO type.
Did anyone of you guys know how big the difference in frequency response is compared to the PRO type?
I can find measurements of the PRO but non of the non-Pro.
Here you find measurements of both, look very similar:

image.jpg

Source: https://www.inexxon.com/stax-übersicht-history/1970-1980-kopfhörer-headphones/sr-x-mk-3/

image.jpg

Source: https://www.inexxon.com/stax-übersicht-history/1980-1990-kopfhörer-headphones/sr-x-mk-3-pro/

Top Bottom