• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measuring for tonal characteristics

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I seen that before, but it doesn't say who designed the drivers. From what I heard, there's only a handful of top driver engineers in the world. Most driver manufacturers hire them to design the drivers for them. a couple of the top guys were recently stolen by the Chinese to make the Chinese Wavecor, and SB acoustics line of drivers.

http://www.wavecor.com

http://www.sbacoustics.com
well he used to design drivers for B&W so why he would stop is beyond me.. he designed them mike. he is not your garden variety guy. i can ask him i guess? whats the question as you seem to have a different definition to the word design than me.

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
well he used to design drivers for B&W so why he would stop is beyond me.. he designed them mike. he is not your garden variety guy. i can ask him i guess? whats the question as you seem to have a different definition to the word design than me.

I never read anywhere that he designed drivers. But anyways, it doesn't really matter. He seems to have a preference to aluminum anyways.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I never read anywhere that he designed drivers. But anyways, it doesn't really matter. He seems to have a preference to aluminum anyways.
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/vivid_audio_g1giya_loudspeaker/#HoBzgFwPSvsVraO1.97
Learn from the past, set vivid goals for the future
Vivid Audio is not a familiar name to many audiophiles, but the company has its roots in one of the most iconic audio designs of all times, the B&W Nautilus. Among Vivid's owners are Robert Trunz, erstwhile co-owner of Bowers & Wilkins, and Laurence Dickie, who used to design B&W's drivers at their R&D facility in Steyning, England.

Trunz suggested that they bring in Dickie to design drivers rather than rely on OEM designs

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/vivid_audio_g1giya_loudspeaker/#HoBzgFwPSvsVraO1.97
Learn from the past, set vivid goals for the future
Vivid Audio is not a familiar name to many audiophiles, but the company has its roots in one of the most iconic audio designs of all times, the B&W Nautilus. Among Vivid's owners are Robert Trunz, erstwhile co-owner of Bowers & Wilkins, and Laurence Dickie, who used to design B&W's drivers at their R&D facility in Steyning, England.

Ahh I guess you're right. That was part of his job :) How do you find the upper mid bass on the G3?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Ahh I guess you're right. That was part of his job :) How do you find the upper mid bass on the G3?
less of a mistrusting pain in the arse than you you old bugger :D:D:p

the upper mid is neutral in my set up, to my ears. the only parts of the sound that's a little poetic imo is bass richness but and its a big but this richness is true to live amplified gigs that i go to. the drivers just need to have the right amp to control them imo.

the upper mid can depend on the distance you have your speakers set apart though, i have a wide set up as i listen down the long end of the room(wrong end strictly speaking but it works best in my house) . vivid speakers like distance between them imo, so i sit say 2.4 meters away but the speakers are 3 meters + apart . normally as you know you would setup 80% of the distance from ear to tweeter for the distance between the two loudspeakers. but that's congested for me, and the bass response is better closer to the corners( but not in the corners lol) .

so its possible the upper mid is thicker (richer) but the separation allows this to appear natural.. certainly not 'metallic' or thin. johnny cash sound nice, male vocal sound really good but not 'too good' if you get me?. real TBH. its nice to that all of that range seems to come from the mid driver and not the bass unit as can sometimes happen. so they do really appear linear.

dic designed everything on that speaker pretty much. he is a fascinating guy totally unassuming but frighteningly educated and knowledgeable. he can explain the engineering and design of every thing on his speaker, its all deliberate. right down to the magnets..

Last edited:
OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
less of a mistrusting pain in the arse than you you old bugger :D:D:p

the upper mid is neutral in my set up, to my ears. the only parts of the sound that's a little poetic imo is bass richness but and its a big but this richness is true to live amplified gigs that i go to. the drivers just need to have the right amp to control them imo.

the upper mid can depend on the distance you have your speakers set apart though, i have a wide set up as i listen down the long end of the room(wrong end strictly speaking but it works best in my house) . vivid speakers like distance between them imo, so i sit say 2.4 meters away but the speakers are 3 meters + apart . normally as you know you would setup 80% of the distance from ear to tweeter for the distance between the two loudspeakers. but that's congested for me, and the bass response is better closer to the corners( but not in the corners lol) .

so its possible the upper mid is thicker (richer) but the separation allows this to appear natural.. certainly not 'metallic' or thin. johnny cash sound nice, male vocal sound really good but not 'too good' if you get me?. real TBH. its nice to that all of that range seems to come from the mid driver and not the bass unit as can sometimes happen. so they do really appear linear.

The only thing I found a bit odd was how high the side firing woofers ran up to. So at the listening position, you are listening to a lot of reflected sound off the side walls.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The only thing I found a bit odd was how high the side firing woofers ran up to. So at the listening position, you are listening to a lot of reflected sound off the side walls.
they have very very tight bass, and very well timed bass imo. the time factor being important but this is room dependent at these frequencies..

i quizzed him about that too though as i had been advised this could be a problem... its not. though i can't explain why it works so well, when like you say maybe it could very well not.

i will get the mic out at some point then we can see WTF is going on down there, i might be delouded. :eek::eek::D

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
they have very very tight bass, and very well timed bass imo. the time factor being important but this is room dependent at these frequencies..

i quizzed him about that too though as i had been advised this could be a problem... its not. though i can't explain why it works so well, when like you say maybe it could very well not.

I figured it must be decent based on the feedback. But you would think it would make the design a bit more room dependant. Dual 5.5" drivers built like them should be super fast thats for sure. I love dual 5's for mid bass. In this design the upper mid runs full range with nothing but a piece of Neotech cable in the signal path. The lower mid runs from 300hz down and only has a single Mundorf Zero ohm coil in the signal path. They have such low DCR it's almost like there's nothing there. This compensates for baffle step losses (Sound that gets lost to the rear of the speaker) So at listening position there's no hole in the mid bass. This is one of the drawbacks of a skinny baffle, but is a non issue when you use an additional driver to compensate. So I have most of the positive attributes of going active with this setup, without having to go active. But it's not easy finding a mid bass like this that can blend with the tweeter so seamlessly without any crossover components. It was actually by accident that I discovered how well this worked. I popped the mid woofers in a old bookshelf speaker cabinet I had just to burn them in with no tweeter. I left them playing around the clock for a few days and noticed that they actually sounded really good even without a tweeter. So then I built a crossover for my Raven ribbon tweeter an sat it on top of the cabinet. It sounded unreal. I matched the levels up with a resistor and they measured pretty much ruler flat and sounded exceptional. So this is what I went with, only added the 2nd woofer for the baffle step compensation. I talked to the designer of this tweeter about this and he said the midbasses I have are the ones he wanted to use in this speaker:

http://www.dagogo.com/raven-design-studio-ebb-floorstanding-speaker-review

Because he did the same thing before with the same drivers and he said it was the closest thing he heard to a point source in his life. This is what inspired the Raven EBB. Only he used a slightly different driver with a smaller magnet because he simply didn't have any more of the ones I have, and they are no longer produced. But he used his latest tweeter design in that speaker.

M1.jpg

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
interesting, making some changes and leaving things playing while doing other things in other rooms is a good way to detect worthwhile musical changes that will translate well going forward with more focused listen that as we know is often compromised by our conscious minds. you cant fool the sub conscious in that way and by doing other things you conscious mind is not engaged. you just suddenly become informed by a sound that is better... i would test everything in this way.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
I made this example on another thread, but never got any answers yet. Between these 2 drivers, what can the measured electrical, mechanical, and acoustical data tell us about the tonal characteristics?

View attachment 553 View attachment 554
Actually you did get the answer
The book cover doesn't tell the story. But it most certainly tells something, or several.

cheers,

AJ

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
As far as I am aware tone and timbre are a mixture of the various frequencies, I would imagine that the material of the cone is uniportamt if properly designed and used within its design parameters , come break up would add its own particular colouration.
Intersting subject though, AJ?
Keith.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
As far as I am aware tone and timbre are a mixture of the various frequencies, I would imagine that the material of the cone is uniportamt if properly designed and used within its design parameters
You would imagine incorrectly. :)
Mike needs to put away the audio comic books and science fiction and join the AES where he can read some non-fiction, like this.
Yes, within a certain paradigm, it would be difficult to pick speakers (blind) based solely on cone material. However, just look at the example he presented, a softer/lossy material (paper) vs stiffer (Alu), essentially hooked to the same motor. Below 500hz, in a system, in a room, they might be difficult to tell apart (unless you stare at them). Above, you can clearly see the resonances/breakup modes in the impedance/FR and also the different off axis behavior due to the cone stiffness. Crossed at 2.4k(!!), I can assure you there will be audible differences!

Keith.
Quite so. Gotta run.

cheers,

AJ

Hi, I was recently searching the web for Arab men who like little boys and I found some guy named Amir prominently featured in Google's search results. Is this where I go to connect with him? Man, what a stupid URL. Anyone who knows anything about marketing and publicity would know that Audio Science Review is an overly complicated web address. Why not do something cool and use an abbreviation like ASR? The current name sounds like something only a washed up hack who used to work on ****** A/V software for Microsoft could think of. This site sucks already and I still haven't found this alleged Amir guy. Is he in the broom closet with a bunch of children? Ugh how frustrating!

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
Actually you did get the answer
The book cover doesn't tell the story. But it most certainly tells something, or several.

cheers,

AJ

The crossover point wasn't the real concern. The difference in tonal characteristics due to the cone material is what I was getting at.

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
As far as I am aware tone and timbre are a mixture of the various frequencies, I would imagine that the material of the cone is uniportamt if properly designed and used within its design parameters , come break up would add its own particular colouration.
Keith.

Yes when you imagine things without any experience it's easy to come up with all sorts of theories.

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
Hi, I was recently searching the web for Arab men who like little boys and I found some guy named Amir prominently featured in Google's search results. Is this where I go to connect with him? Man, what a stupid URL. Anyone who knows anything about marketing and publicity would know that Audio Science Review is an overly complicated web address. Why not do something cool and use an abbreviation like ASR? The current name sounds like something only a washed up hack who used to work on ****** A/V software for Microsoft could think of. This site sucks already and I still haven't found this alleged Amir guy. Is he in the broom closet with a bunch of children? Ugh how frustrating!

Did you have to pick my thread for this? It would take a real man to come up with this material.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman