• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measuring for tonal characteristics

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
What I'm more curious about is why you even bother selling speakers when Harman has far better options available for less money?
I'm a masochist?
Well, I only follow their script so far. How many Harman speakers have variable adjustable gradient bass? Or decorrelated, delayed indirect radiation? Or...

Are you claiming you're a better engineer than Sean Olive?
I told you I'm not an engineer. But I play one on TV.

Or do people buy from you based solely on having a stronger reputation?
Mine or theirs? You know there's a sucker born every minute? Learned that form PT Barnum.
Could be that some folks just want something different. Or complete customization for their room, sound and visual tastes. Or maybe I spew enough techno-babble to impress the impressionable? Who knows?

cheers,

AJ

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
I'm a masochist?
Well, I only follow their script so far. How many Harman speakers have variable adjustable gradient bass? Or decorrelated, delayed indirect radiation? Or...

I told you I'm not an engineer. But I play one on TV.

Mine or theirs? You know there's a sucker born every minute? Learned that form PT Barnum.
Could be that some folks just want something different. Or complete customization for their room, sound and visual tastes. Or maybe I spew enough techno-babble to impress the impressionable? Who knows?

cheers,

AJ

If Harman thought your way was better they would probably be doing things that way. I would just give up.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
If Harman thought your way was better they would probably be doing things that way.
They are in the business of selling a lot of speaker models to a lot of people in a lot of markets.
I do purely custom and very few. If you want Rosewood or Bubinga finish with Harman, you're SOL.
Plus different strokes for different folks. Lots of beer and wine manufacturers for different tastes. Tons of folks making jewelry and watches.

I would just give up.
What fun would that be, I enjoy what I do. ;-)
Look, I rely on science because that's what I know best. Others rely on Voodoo-doodoo, because that's what they know best. To each their own.

cheers,

AJ

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Each person's voice is unique, with its on nasality, tone. It'd be real tough to find two people sounding exactly the same.
Regarding speakers from different speaker's designers and manufacturers...
...Speakers that are the same with less than 0.25dB tolerance value between them in their frequency response and power response.

In different rooms the same speaker will sound different.

I posted few good links yesterday on some of the driver's designs and materials used.
Each speaker's designer use his own experience, knowledge and a set of guides to tune the sound he's after from his babies.
The tools he uses for his measurements are is guiding light, his computerized controlled world in helping for his designs,.
Other tools are anechoic chamber rooms, listener blind tests preforming, etc. ...Dunlavy, PSB, Genelec, Paradigm, B&W, Energy, Mirage, Tannoy, KEF, Revel, etc.

A trumpet, a grand piano, a saxophone, a violin, a cello, a church organ, an acoustic standing bass, a Gibson acoustic guitar, a Martin acoustic guitar, a Jean-Claude Larrivee acoustic guitar, a full classical orchestra with 88 musicians plus two tenors (female and male), ...the entire music world with all the musical instruments and all singer's voices in it; to design and build a speaker that can reproduce all those distinctive tones accurately is the ultimate audio nirvana goal.
And two different amplifiers will impregnate their own tonal characteristic powering that same ultimate speaker. So the speaker designer is tuning using a series of amplifiers to match his design goal, "his sound signature".

The volume control in a pre-amp will add its own signature sound touch, ever so slightly it might be.
And I won't go there today (tomorrow maybe...), but some fine ears can distinctively hear variations in different cable's compositions and designs. ...Their geometry, solid core vs twisted braided wires and up to ultra flat wires a la Nordost. But those tones are for another thread (she's probably already there...in the form of when 12AWG is truly 12AWG, some' like that).

Speaker drivers, from the top driver makers, with vast experience, solid engineering, durability, longevity...always a good place to start building the ultimate loudspeaker with the tone YOU want, for the customers YOU think they'd like like YOU. ...With measurements in anechoic room chambers and all...NRC and HK and Dunlavy and Magico and Vandersteen and Genelec and ATC and Salk and Sonus Faber rooms. ...With all the coherence required and time domain perfectly executed from the phase-tuned active separate crossover, or internal passive with one single set of speaker 6-way binding posts.

_________

♦ Bonus link (just for knowledge fun): http://www.coolpolymers.com/heattrans.html

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
They are in the business of selling a lot of speaker models to a lot of people in a lot of markets.
I do purely custom and very few. If you want Rosewood or Bubinga finish with Harman, you're SOL.
Plus different strokes for different folks. Lots of beer and wine manufacturers for different tastes. Tons of folks making jewelry and watches.

What fun would that be, I enjoy what I do. ;-)
Look, I rely on science because that's what I know best. Others rely on Voodoo-doodoo, because that's what they know best. To each their own.

cheers,

AJ

So people will buy from you just for the cabinet finish options? If someone has different tastes in sound that just means they are flawed, not the gear.

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
... You used to be able to order them with or without the titanium dioxide coating. ...

In other words, painted white or not.

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
In other words, painted white or not.

No the coating was to add additional dampening to the dome. Some subjectively prefer it over the naked domes.

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
it would be worse,

mike and AJ need to get a room :D work through their tension..

I think Mike just needs to answer posts instead of diverting, changing the subject and replying with straw men that are responses to positions no one has taken (yes, I realize that's redundant). That would make the room unnecessary.

Tim

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
So people will buy from you just for the cabinet finish options?
It could be one of the reasons. You like your bling to look good, why not others?

If someone has different tastes in sound that just means they are flawed, not the gear.
Nope. You remain very confused here. It's all preference when it comes to subjectivity.

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
I have some of those Transducer Labs Beryllium dome's on the way for a custom active speaker. Hard to beat Beryllium!

OP
Mivera

Mivera

Major Contributor
Hi, I was recently searching the web for Arab men who like little boys and I found some guy named Amir prominently featured in Google's search results. Is this where I go to connect with him? Man, what a stupid URL. Anyone who knows anything about marketing and publicity would know that Audio Science Review is an overly complicated web address. Why not do something cool and use an abbreviation like ASR? The current name sounds like something only a washed up hack who used to work on ****** A/V software for Microsoft could think of. This site sucks already and I still haven't found this alleged Amir guy. Is he in the broom closet with a bunch of children? Ugh how frustrating!

Well the forum is referred to as ASR now. So great suggestion!

Top Bottom