• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measuring and EQing non-monopole surround speakers.

sfdoddsy

I've recently found a way to overcome Apple's annoying tendency to remove features I like and play the many DTS 5.1 surround files (native and SACD down-mixes) I have on my server.

This has rekindled my interest in surrounds.

In a decent room I'd just use monopoles similar to my mains (in my case either small Revels or KEFs).

But in my current room I am severely restricted in rear place for physical, aesthetic and rental reasons.

I can place one surround at the correct angle, but not the other one (it has to be behind and slightly right, rather than right and slightly behind).

So I am pondering bipole rears, for which the usual recommendation is directly behind.

Being the anal type, however, I'm wondering how one measures and EQs such beasts.

They are designed to have polars completely different to monopoles. My Anthem ARC will measure them as if they are monopoles, and EQ them on the same basis.

I usually only EQ below the Shroeder, and I'm thinking this would be even more important for bipoles.

And how does one pick the objectively best?

Revel makes a switchable bipole/dipole surround with the same drivers as my mains, but I'm not sure it will fit the spot it has to go.

Thoughts?

Top Bottom