• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

measurements

thornclaw

when taking measurements of an amplifier like THD, it appears the measurement is taken in a vacuum. is there a method that takes the variable load of the speaker in to account? in real life, the speaker sends electricity back to the amplifier so there is an interaction at play between speaker and amp

egellings

Major Contributor
I think the problem is that different models of speakers exhibit so many different load characteristics that it would be difficult to select some common standard to use for a measurement load.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
automated load controller & measurement system

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Either this, or test with different ohmic loads down to 1 Ohm and note the clipping points. An amp which behaves well at 2 Ohm or below is able to handle any load - except maybe a full range electrostatic speaker.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the problem is that different models of speakers exhibit so many different load characteristics that it would be difficult to select some common standard to use for a measurement load.
One can use a simulated "standard load" like Stereophile does, to measure the deviation from flat FR depending on the output impedance of the amp. OTOH if we measure the output impedance directly we can calculate this deviation for any speaker with known impedance curve.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
when taking measurements of an amplifier like THD, it appears the measurement is taken in a vacuum. is there a method that takes the variable load of the speaker in to account? in real life, the speaker sends electricity back to the amplifier so there is an interaction at play between speaker and amp
This interaction is minimized by the output impedance of the amp. Only amps with high output impedance fail to so, but since those usually show high distortion values due to low global feedback the distortion may swamp this effect. One should stay well clear of such amps anyway.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
One can use a simulated "standard load" like Stereophile does, to measure the deviation from flat FR depending on the output impedance of the amp. OTOH if we measure the output impedance directly we can calculate this deviation for any speaker with known impedance curve.
Amir did experiment with a simulated load for a while. Can't remember why it was dropped.
Edit : Found where it started with the Behringer A800
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...behringer-a800-stereo-amplifier-review.10499/

egellings

Major Contributor
It's not only the DC ohms (real) part, but the reactive (imaginary) part that makes up the impedance of a speaker load. You would need to standardize on some accepted complex impedance, rather than on just a resistive one. How you would choose that, I dunno.

OP
T

thornclaw

as well as changing resistance, the movement of the cone generates a current that the amplifier would have to deal with. i dont know if the standard testing equipment simulates this

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
as well as changing resistance, the movement of the cone generates a current that the amplifier would have to deal with. i dont know if the standard testing equipment simulates this
Back EMF? Damping factor, i.e., a measurement of the ratio between the amp's output impedance and the speaker impedance. This is not really relevant for modern SS amps.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Part of the reason is complexity and cost to build a high powered version of the simulated speaker load.

As Amir wrote "Note that neither my load, nor stereophile's are high power ones. So I cannot plot full power graphs and such. Above measurements were at 5 watts."

Top Bottom