• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements with test tones vs. real music - what's the difference?

Satyadhara

I recently watched a review of the SMSL SH-9, in which the reviewer claims that devices which measure very well might still not sound very good, because measurements are taken using test tones instead of real music. This is the video.

I'm not a tech guy, so I'm interested in what others think of this argument.
Any opinions?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I recently watched a review of the SMSL SH-9, in which the reviewer claims that devices which measure very well might still not sound very good, because measurements are taken using test tones instead of real music. This is the video.

Any opinions?

When I see someone back up those claims with controlled listening tests, I'll start paying attention.

So far, that hasn't happened.

Making claims is easy, and very popular in hi-fi land. Supporting evidence? Not so much.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Any opinions?
I watched the video and his argument that the size of headphone amp that he points to cannot provide the power required for a headphone amp is 100% bogus. I've seen his videos before and he's not accurate.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
These claims are often made by folks who like big expensive boxes made by people who talk a good game.

In quite a lot of cases , their big expensive boxes don't measure very well (Currawrong is fond of his Audio GD stuff as seen in the vid- a prime example of the type). As has been said above, some controlled listening tests may well prove to said reviewer that he either does not truly prefer the Audio GD when he is blind to whats playing, or quite possibly cannot differentiate.

If they can both tell and prefer the same stuff blind as when sighted, then there is something worthy of further study

But its easier for them to say the measurements dont tell the whole story as it allows them to continue saying stuff like this.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Real music can be used for measurement. It's just that it's less easy to reproduce by someone else and not standardized. You can use null from AP to see the residues. But it has less RMS level hence it's more likely to drawn in the noise floor.

Multitone is the similar thing to music but better suited for measurements. You can see the distortion and noise much easier. With multitone you can use FFT to see down to -140dB or lower instead of the giant wall of signal from music.

cursive

Forum Donor

Any opinions?

"Larger amps such as these have much bigger power supplies, it is just simply you can't beat more comprehensively designed technology."

That line right there from the video is pretty frustrating, and seems to be his whole way of summing up it's performance.
It's somehow not as comprehensively designed because it's smaller? That's a pretty crazy assertion to make, and in my opinion hurts his credibility.

These are headphone amps, can't believe he would say size of the enclosure is critical to performance when headphones need so little power in general.

Lero

I recently watched a review of the SMSL SH-9, in which the reviewer claims that devices which measure very well might still not sound very good, because measurements are taken using test tones instead of real music.
This is something BS audio would say...my brain in crying blood...

wwenze

Major Contributor
Try listening to a faulty woofer/tweeter or capacitor with music vs sine

Top Bottom