• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements & What We Hear?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I think this is an interesting video about Transports and how they "can" sound different. Paul from PS Audio.
Another great example of how Paul doesn't understand the technology, indeed interesting.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I think this is an interesting video about Transports and how they "can" sound different. Paul from PS Audio.

ebe474d3e72ab58aee40c13cd60e58b8.jpg

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Or did they? This is an often repeated claim with very little evidence to support it.
I remember the first CD player I ever heard. It was at the owner of the audio chain I had worked for and several friends still did. He had it playing a classical CD through an all Mac system, twin MC2105s powering Mac ML2Cs I believe. I thought, along with everyone else there, that it sounded exceptional. Clean and clear.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember the first CD player I ever heard. It was at the owner of the audio chain I had worked for and several friends still did. He had it playing a classical CD through an all Mac system, twin MC2105s powering Mac ML2Cs I believe. I thought, along with everyone else there, that it sounded exceptional. Clean and clear.
My first CD player was a Magnavox CDB-650. It's not first-generation, but it was very early--certainly back into the 80's. It makes all sorts of compromises, but it still sounds excellent. These sell for a lot because there is a myth they they were imbued with some magic dust. As good as it sounds, it's not any better (or worse) than any of my other CD players. There's no way in the world I'd be able to identify it in a controlled test with my other players (an early-90's Denon, two early-90's Tascams, a late-90's Cambridge Audio player, a recent Cambridge Audio transport, and an early-00's Naim Audio player).

Some work better than others, but that's the machinery, not the audio.

Rick "the Maggotbox currently needs a belt" Denney

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Our friend has it the wrong way around.
There is a fixed clock (it is not derived from the disc). The disc is spun to the required speed (which changes constantly). The lands and pits are NOT the read bits but signal a transition from a series of 'bits' (but not audio) that can consist of 3 to 11 consecutive 1's or 0's. The disc speed is derived from the minimum bit 'length' which is 3 in a row. For that a PLL is used. From that signal (Eight to Fourteen modulation) there are strings of bits read in a memory.
From that moment on the clock is fixed. That signal is demodulated and de-interleaved and control + audio bits are extracted.
Those get processed and if needed corrected (C1 and C2 errors are fully repairable) and then are go in filters and others stuff, get converted from serial to parallel or get converted.
Tracking and foxussing is not the same as error correction in the digital realm.
I only have seen very, very few completely scratched CD's in my collection where so call CU errors were present. These are flags for Uncorrectable Errors.

found a nice tutorial here.

The man clearly has no idea how CD storage works.

Paul is correct that a $29.- transport is crap compared to any decent transport but as long as the retrieved data is 'correct' and the used clock in the transport has low jitter it's all honky dory. Of course, then he can't sell his expensive transport and DAC anymore so he has to invent some nonsense that sounds believable.

audio2design

Major Contributor
Facts need not be simple and straight. Sometimes facts are beyond our comprehension. Let me state a few examples.

1. Quantum tunneling
2. Quantum entanglement.
3. Quantum superposition.
4. Speed of light is the ultimate limit.
5. Wave/particle duality.
6. Expansion of space.

We only knows it happen but we have no idea how or why. Thats what makes it so fascinating. Physics taught me that nothing is absolute and why I need to have an open mind to learn and discover more.

And fortunately, knowing "what" happens, at least at a bulk level, at audio frequencies, is many magnitudes more than sufficient for characterization of a cable no matter what some charlatan may say.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also when you think you know everything about metals and conductors, you could still discover more. Using light to magnetise non-magnetic metals...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/07/190729111258.htm#:~:text=Summary:&text=The scientists theorise that when,spontaneously emerge in the disk.

We have been trying to figure out for 50-60yrs, still trying to figure out today.

https://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/background/index.htm

Interesting but we are only considering things that could affect SQ for this forum.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Are the 2 sources putting out the same signal. Some players can switch from PCM to bitstream. (my PS4 has an HDMI audio priority setting that goes from linear PCM to bitstream Dolby to bitstream DTS) If one players putting out PCM lossless and the other is bitstream AC3 there will be an audible difference. Some discs have multiple audio tracks, lossless, ac3, DTS are you sure your listening to the same track of both machines?

Cbdb2

Major Contributor

Not BSaudio again. Look him up. He's an ex con, used car salesman. And if he believes his own lies he's a moron, quite likely. Lets stop encouraging him and not post his videos.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the sieg heil to PV panels tho.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
I see, one's level of acuity is based on the number of posts? I get it now.

Yes, because that is where most of the music falls. Plus, I have a math degree so I do get the concept of digital audio fully and make comparisons of the various formats, and the sound of each, daily.

So I would suggest to YOU that you record performances of anyone at 24/192; 24/96; and redbook than tell me about instrument placements in the acoustic space and where the seem to appear in that space?

So your a recording engineer? I would suggest YOU listen to those blind before making such a statement. An actual ABx test or your just another opinion and your not the first. And math is not engineering.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Our friend has it the wrong way around.
There is a fixed clock (it is not derived from the disc). The disc is spun to the required speed (which changes constantly). The lands and pits are NOT the read bits but signal a transition from a series of 'bits' (but not audio) that can consist of 3 to 11 consecutive 1's or 0's. The disc speed is derived from the minimum bit 'length' which is 3 in a row. For that a PLL is used. From that signal (Eight to Fourteen modulation) there are strings of bits read in a memory.
From that moment on the clock is fixed. That signal is demodulated and de-interleaved and control + audio bits are extracted.
Those get processed and if needed corrected (C1 and C2 errors are fully repairable) and then are go in filters and others stuff, get converted from serial to parallel or get converted.
Tracking and foxussing is not the same as error correction in the digital realm.
I only have seen very, very few completely scratched CD's in my collection where so call CU errors were present. These are flags for Uncorrectable Errors.

found a nice tutorial here.

The man clearly has no idea how CD storage works.

Paul is correct that a $29.- transport is crap compared to any decent transport but as long as the retrieved data is 'correct' and the used clock in the transport has low jitter it's all honky dory. Of course, then he can't sell his expensive transport and DAC anymore so he has to invent some nonsense that sounds believable.
Excellent PDF on the compact disc that you posted. :D

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Interesting but we are only considering things that could affect SQ for this forum.

My question would be how do you know it doesnt? Nobody back then believe in quantum mechanics. Even einstein himself was skeptical. Einstein do not believe that black holes are possible too. He was proven wrong.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My question would be how do you know it doesnt? Nobody back then believe in quantum mechanics. Even einstein himself was skeptical. Einstein do not believe that black holes are possible too. He was proven wrong.

I want to congratulate you for quantum tunneling underneath the cognitive limit.

Geert

Major Contributor
My question would be how do you know it doesnt? Nobody back then believe.... .
Because we are no longer 'back than'. Science has evolved. There's no reason to think we have black holes in our knowledge about sound and basic electronics. You can make up all kinds of believes, bus as long as you can't support them with a controlled test there's no reason for scientists or engineers to bother.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because we are no longer 'back than'. Science has evolved. There's no reason to think we have black holes in our knowledge about sound and basic electronics. You can make up all kinds of believes, bus as long as you can't support them with a controlled test there's no reason for scientists or engineers to bother.
I would add that in terms of observable science, quantum mechanics, etc., only subtly change what is important in the physical world. Without Newton, we can't design a dynamic machine very well. Euclid (okay, I'm approximating) was enough for statics, but not so much for dynamics. With Newton, we know enough about dynamics to design most machines. But Newtonian formulations can't explain all of what we observe in space--it does explain most of it. We've learned stuff in the last century plus that helps with that. But that stuff that allows us to understand space in all its vastness really isn't all that important for designing a physical machine.

What has improved in the design of machines is extending what we can analyze using first principles, for which the math can be hairy, versus what we can estimate well enough using numerical methods in computer programs. Computer analysis has made brute-force modeling possible, and that has changed everything far more profoundly than new physics theories.

It's the same for electronics. I'm not sure there is much that is not fully defined about the electromagnetic domain than by Maxwell's equations, which are definitive. We haven't observed anything at all that suggests those equations are not exact (at least not that I've read about). But our ability to use numerical methods to evaluate circuits and transducer behaviors has dramatically improved, so that we don't have to take everything we do back to Maxwell's equations, which can be mathematically hairy.

But here's the reason for saying all this: The reason we looked for something better than Newton is because we observed behaviors that Newton's physics could not explain. These observations were not feelings. They were not even subjective. They were carefully gathered and measured data by a large number of scientists, supplemented by theoretical developments by other scientists that were motivated by those careful and repeatable observations.

Nobody paid much attention to the work of Ralph Alpher and Robert Herman, who mathematically predicted the background radiation of the Big Bang at Johns Hopkins in the late 1940's. But it was Penzias and Wilson who won the Nobel Prize in Physics for observing (by process of elimination) that radiation in the early 60's. Measurements validate analysis, and without those measurements, analysis can never be fully persuasive. But nobody will make measurements if the observations are non-specific arm-waving and feelings.

Rick "who studied with Robert Herman in grad school" Denney

Top Bottom