• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements & What We Hear?

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I wonder if there is a bit of cart before horse here. Various conversations state or conclude that:
  • the entire chain from source to transducer is full of variables
  • the room acoustics are an important influence in what is heard
  • the listening experience is subjective
While tests under controlled conditions can provide an indication of which elements may potentially perform better than others theoretically, once a system is assembled in its listening environment, it is entirely possible that even the very best components might sound dreadful if supplied with dirty power in a poor acoustic space (lets say). Moving the speakers about in the listening space can have a profound impact on the quality of music reproduction. In the Magnapan review, it was stated that even moving the head provided a different listening experience. Testing one unit does not take into account any variation in manufacture for all units although its reasonable to assume that all units should perfrom more or less the same off the production line. DSP - DIRAC et al. So many variables.

Thus "the numbers" are indicative for comparison only and while useful in this respect, do not tell us at all how something will actually sound. This much is abundantly clear.

Trying to science the listening experience seems to me like overthinking things somewhat. Or am I missing the point?

this probably could have been asked in the big stickied thread, but anyway...

Yes, you're probably missing the point. None of us are saying the measurements of any one piece of equipment will tell us how our system will sound.

Top Bottom