• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements' ranking list?

Merkurio

Hi there.

Looking at the recent SMSL SU-8 review and measurements from @amirm and come to the SINAD chart:

index.php

I reached to the conclusion that it would be great to have a ranking list of all the devices measured here, in the purest style of Head-Fi with headphones rankings from users (but in a much more objective and testable way here, logically), taking into consideration all the measurable parameters and weighing them in a list, with the name of the device, its price and the respective link of the review / measurements.

I know it would be a lot of work, but it would also be a great way to have all the great information here more structured and simple, especially for those who come in search of purchase recommendations and aren't such technically informed (nor undestand some complex concepts).

Hell, even I would help with the proposal, if possible.

What do you think?

Grave

I would greatly appreciate a much simpler and easier to make recommendation list for each price range, which is updated over time.

<$100: DAC, amp
<$500: DAC, amp
<$1000: DAC, amp
<$5000: DAC, amp
etc.

Last edited:

mindbomb

I think there is strong correlation between sinad and overall dac quality anyway. So you could use that chart to get a rough idea. But I don't know if there can be a definitive ranking since it depends on what metrics you value.

bennetng

Major Contributor
If I am serious about buying something, especially something expensive, I will look into the individual product reviews and reviews from multiple websites.

Judge quality from single number specs is potentially inadequate, and that's why the reviews have so many different graphs. Also people tend to overlook other stuff like product functionalities and compatibility issues. For example, is the device capable of mulitclient operation? Can the headphone output and line output be used simultaneously? Does it produce a loud pop sound when changing sample rates? Does it recover from hibernation and sleep modes properly? Do the balanced and unbalanced audio levels play well with your existing equipment? There are a lot of things to look for.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes, that is another reason I have been hesitant to provide a cheat sheet. Reviews need to be read to understand the full performance of the unit.

As for functionality, that is covered extensively by other sources so I don't talk about it unless I notice it in the process of testing the unit.

Top Bottom