• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements & Preview of Holo Audio Spring 3 DAC / wPreamp (Prototype)

glc650

On the top it says the USB module from May is included in Spring 3. Then on the bottom it says only KTE has the Titanis thing. To me this feels like a shameless lie or at the least intentional misconception to push people to KTE. But who knows....
Are you talking about here or on the Kitsune site because on the Kitsune site it looks clear to me that only the KTE version of this DAC has the May's USB module.

Veri

Master Contributor
Are you talking about here or on the Kitsune site because on the Kitsune site it looks clear to me that only the KTE version of this DAC has the May's USB module.
I'm talking about the Kitsune site, as far as I can see the only site offering this product as of yet. Yes, I know they make it appear this way but I'm not sure that's factually correct. It's all too easy to claim the USB and jitter is "better-er" on their most expensive product. They literally explain Level 3 as a "night and day difference". Heard that one before lol...

I know for a fact that Holo audio only ships hardware level 1 and level 2 to retailers, at least for Spring 1 and 2. Level 3 is something retailers 'manage' themselves. The spring 2 'KTE' I had in house for a while was hardware level 2 with some extra stickers and branding. I really don't think retailers like Kitsune are swapping in a different USB module in there by themselves.

So from this info I gather the Level 2 version probably already has it. And I think that's the unit WolfX measured. But that's what I think.

glc650

Even more reason for verification on which which model was tested and if it had the May's USB module.

barrows

All reports from users is that the top level USB interface is better. I would rather not pay for things like silver wiring on the input of the KTE, but I would want to have the top level USB interface, as that offers actual improvement in performance, and I only use the USB input. So it is important to know which models have the best USB interface.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Le Concombre

All reports from users is that the top level USB interface is better. I would rather not pay for things like silver wiring on the input of the KTE, but I would want to have the top level USB interface, as that offers actual improvement in performance, and I only use the USB input. So it is important to know which models have the best USB interface.
Matters to me too, seems like we're invited to jump to a May L2 since the price gap with KTE Spring has narrowed especially in Europe where the price rise is stiff with no introduction pricing

saich

I'm also interested in knowing what level is the unit measured by Wolf. Based on the superb performance of the usb j-test, could it be the L3 model?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @WolfX-700

With Spring2, I asked you to measure with DSD256 input and SINAD improved a little bit.

Can you test same here with Spring3 + DSD256 input ?

And compare with Spring3 + PCM1.5MHz input (set DAC bits to 18 bits)?

Last edited:

Mikechw

I pre-ordered Spring3 yesterday and need to wait for a month..

Kenmoreira85

I'm also interested in knowing what level is the unit measured by Wolf. Based on the superb performance of the usb j-test, could it be the L3 model?
Level 2, no seperate usb module, no silver transformer

Kenmoreira85

Thanks, I wonder what the separate usb module would do on the L3?
It's much better overall.
It is the same as the one on the May. It's totally isolated. Power in. Ground, and the pcb itself.
It's a free floating usb module with nothing shared in the dac so it's got no interference.

saich

It's much better overall.
It is the same as the one on the May. It's totally isolated. Power in. Ground, and the pcb itself.
It's a free floating usb module with nothing shared in the dac so it's got no interference.

Ah, I see base on Kistune's website that the L3 uses the Titanis 2.0 usb module found on the May. I wonder to what degree it makes a difference, especially measurement wise, comparing to the L1 and L2?

If the one measured by @WolfX-700 were the L2, its USB JTEST performance seems already superb at least to me.

Kenmoreira85

Ah, I see base on Kistune's website that the L3 uses the Titanis 2.0 usb module found on the May. I wonder to what degree it makes a difference, especially measurement wise, comparing to the L1 and L2?

If the one measured by @WolfX-700 were the L2, its USB JTEST performance seems already superb at least to me.
Goldensound on YouTube did a review of the May and on it took measurements of the USB input with that module I believe the Sinsad was -145 decibels

Veri

Master Contributor
Goldensound on YouTube did a review of the May and on it took measurements of the USB input with that module I believe the Sinsad was -145 decibels
Don't believe that's possible :p

Kw6

It's comforting to know you can get same performance from a Topping D90 for less money!

Top Bottom