• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements & Preview of Holo Audio Spring 3 DAC / wPreamp (Prototype)

SlothRock

So it appears the measurements of this guy are absolutely fantastic but what about the cost to performance ratio? I know there are options like the D90SE you could argue are just as good, if not better, for $900 vs. $3k (for the KTE Holo) but I also have concerns over the quality of the build with Topping products and I like to put my money on reliable tech as well. For the folks that have this or have compared it - worth the cash?

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So it appears the measurements of this guy are absolutely fantastic but what about the cost to performance ratio? I know there are options like the D90SE you could argue are just as good, if not better, for $900 vs. $3k (for the KTE Holo) but I also have concerns over the quality of the build with Topping products and I like to put my money on reliable tech as well. For the folks that have this or have compared it - worth the cash?
I doubt I'd hear any differences relative to my Topping D30Pro, but damn, this is one sweet looking piece of gear. That alone might justify the extra $2,900.

SlothRock

I doubt I'd hear any differences relative to my Topping D30Pro, but damn, this is one sweet looking piece of gear. That alone might justify the extra $2,900.

Lol yea it does look amazing but def won't be worth that cash just for that. I am willing to pay $$ for proven performance and a reliable, high quality build. Seems like this has that but still not convinced it has enough of it for the $$

robpap

Hi Max, I do not own the Holo Dac, but I own both the D30pro and the Merging Hapi, which costs 10 times more. The D30pro is very good, I agree. But the Merging Hapi is amazing. So the extra money is justified in my case. Probably the same applies to the Holo Audio, which is beautifully engineered :)

Hubbman

Just ordered a Spring 3 KTE W preamp. Looking forward to how it will perform compared to my current Bel Canto 2.8 DAC. Wondering if others here have any experience with the latest Bel Canto DACs and how they compared to the HoloAudio DACs?

marc412

Hello, I have a Spring 3 KTE with the preamp module.

It was meant to be used with a speaker power amplifier, but now I would like to use it with a headphone tube amplifier, will that 11 vrms dac output be a severe issue?

Will lowering the preamp's volume suffice, any ideas which step to lower to match the typical 4 vrms output ? Any help will be appreciated

antdroid

Reviewer
Hello, I have a Spring 3 KTE with the preamp module.

It was meant to be used with a speaker power amplifier, but now I would like to use it with a headphone tube amplifier, will that 11 vrms dac output be a severe issue?

Will lowering the preamp's volume suffice, any ideas which step to lower to match the typical 4 vrms output ? Any help will be appreciated
I use Spring 3 KTE with Preamp with my headphone amp and use the preamp volume control to control the volume instead of my headphone/speaker amplifier, which I just leave at just under 50%. It works just fine.

MINOR WHITE

Just ordered a Spring 3 KTE W preamp. Looking forward to how it will perform compared to my current Bel Canto 2.8 DAC. Wondering if others here have any experience with the latest Bel Canto DACs and how they compared to the HoloAudio DACs?
Reviving an old thread since I saw you specifically mentioned the Bel Canto 2.8DAC. I have their very first version, and am looking to upgrade for better functionality and higher resolution playback. Was looking at their 2.5-2.8 used, but was also really curious about the Holo Spring 3 for "a bit more". Do you happen to have any thoughts? Impressions of your 2.8? Have you ever heard better? Thanks!

Top Bottom