• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of "USB Mini Portable DAC Decoder amp HIFI Fever Sound Card SA9023A + ES9018K2M"

Arnold Krueger

fr.png thd.png dynamics.png CCIF IM.png J-Test.png Measurements of "USB Mini Portable DAC Decoder amp HIFI Fever Sound Card SA9023A + ES9018K2M" The measurement device was a M-Audio Microtrack. There is an attached ZIP file containing the full test results in PDF format.
fr.png
thd.png
J-Test.png fr.png thd.png dynamics.png CCIF IM.png

Note There is a test of what appears to be a superior audio device based on the same digital recorder elsewhere on the Forum. The UUT for that test was a FIIO X1 ii.

Attachments

• USB Mini Portable DAC Decoder amp HIFI Fever Sound Card SA9023A + ES9018K2M _Microtrack 4-2-2018.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,683
Last edited:
OP
Arnold Krueger

Arnold Krueger

Arny, thanks for posting these but what is the reason for the 24 kHz test?

J-test which is defined as a sequence of samples, so if you want that particular pattern of samples at a higher sample rate, the resulting carrier is naturally higher.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like it may have a slightly elevated noise floor if all your graphs are 64K FFTs. Maybe -85 dbFS for the 20 khz band?

OP
Arnold Krueger

Arnold Krueger

Looks like it may have a slightly elevated noise floor if all your graphs are 64K FFTs. Maybe -85 dbFS for the 20 khz band?

Some clues in the doc suggest that maybe the default RMA 6.4.1 FFT size is 16K. The FFT was recently upgraded to do more if you run it stand-alone and ask for more. Potentially helpful trick: You can run the RMAA FFT in real time if you run it in setup mode. Nothing says that you have to route the RMAA test signal to the UUT. I run it this say often with some digital player playing a test signal of my choosing and routed to the UUT input.

In most real world testing I use RMAA in file mode, not real time mode.

Cool Edit statistics put the USB audio device unweighted noise floor @ about FS -95 dB in a 20-20 KHz band, second order roll-offs at each end. That is reasonably close to the Rightmark numbers. The observed performance is OK, but not world-shaking. For $30 - no complaints. I do wonder if the chips inside are genuine.

Last edited:

f3rmion

Hi, thanks a lot for your review. I'm currently using KZ-ES4 earphones. Would you recommend this as a first DAC/Amp for a beginner over something like FiiO K1 or a modern desktop or smartphone onboard audio solution ? Thanks.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi, thanks a lot for your review. I'm currently using KZ-ES4 earphones. Would you recommend this as a first DAC/Amp for a beginner over something like FiiO K1 or a modern desktop or smartphone onboard audio solution ? Thanks.
Unfortunately Arny sadly passed away a few months ago. So he won't be able to answer you.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
What is your budget @f3rmion?
I still use my K1 on every trip I go on... I don't find that it has a problem driving my 1More Triple driver over ear, any of my IEM's or even my Oppo PM-2/mrspeakers Aeon (volume can be a problem on these Planars if you really like it to be super loud with bass).

For its price, I personally love it and I have no experience with this little mini amp measured here.

But if your budget is higher and you want something with an analog volume control, there are other options such as the Q1 that @amirm mentioned.

f3rmion

What is your budget @f3rmion?
I still use my K1 on every trip I go on... I don't find that it has a problem driving my 1More Triple driver over ear, any of my IEM's or even my Oppo PM-2/mrspeakers Aeon (volume can be a problem on these Planars if you really like it to be super loud with bass).

For its price, I personally love it and I have no experience with this little mini amp measured here.

But if your budget is higher and you want something with an analog volume control, there are other options such as the Q1 that @amirm mentioned.
Thanks for replying, My budget is 40ish and for that the FiiO K1 indeed looks like a perfect choice but I was thinking maybe I could get something better for the same price on Aliexpress. Analog volume control is not required, I will be using it on my PC.

Top Bottom