• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Three Wireless Transmitters (SVS SoundPath, Dynasty ProAudio, iFinity Wireless)

MatthewS

Forum Donor
I purchased three stereo wireless audio transmitters and tested their frequency response, distortion, channel matching, and delay. The results are below.

I utilized the Motu M2 audio interface and REW to take these measurements. I used REW’s soundcard calibration on the M2 before taking these measurements. Ultimately, I was looking to compare these units against each other. I took these measurements a year ago and never got around to posting it. @amirm has since measured the SVS unit and currently has the Dynasty unit for testing so we should have some precision measurements of that one too.

SVS SoundPath Wireless Audio Adapter:
Price: $120
Wireless: 2.4Ghz
Measured Delay: 25.2ms
Claimed Frequency Response: 6 Hz to 22,000 Hz +/-1 dB
Manufacturer claims 14ms latency on their site, but the Amazon listing says less then 25.5ms and that is true—barely.

Dynasty Proaudio WSA-5TR
Price: $110
Wireless: 5.8Ghz
Measured Delay: 17.75ms
Claimed Frequency Response: 10Hz ~ 23 kHz
Dynasty has a new version that supports 5.2Ghz and 5.8Ghz and roughly doubles the number of auto selectable channels.

Amphony iFinity Wireless:
Price: $59
Wireless: 2.4Ghz
Measured Delay: 31.3ms
Claimed Frequency Response: 2 Hz - 20 kHz

Distortion and Noise:
alldistortion.jpg

Frequency Response:

frequencyresponse.jpg

You will notice that the SVS has the worst noise and distortion performance. It’s delay lands in the middle of the three units. Looking at the frequency response graph, you’ll note that I’ve included both the left and right channels. This is because it has a 1db mismatch. All the other units matched their left and right channels exactly.

The infinity has about a 1db fall off above 15kHz.

The scale on these graphs is quite zoomed in to show the differences. The frequency response is more or less flat, and I didn’t consider it a major issue for the subwoofer use case.

To achieve the design goals for my listening room, I needed to transmit the subwoofer audio signal wirelessly. Because I was planning to utilize Multi Sub Optimizer to flatten the response, I didn’t want to introduce too much delay in the transmission that would require excessive delay applied to the main speakers. The room is used to watch TV as well as listen to music, and while it would be irrelevant for music, a huge delay in the audio chain would cause lip sync issues.

I ultimately went with the Dynasty unit and it worked well enough. I would occasionally have connectivity issues that would require a power cycle (less than once a month). I ended up adding a 5Ghz access point near-by that I believe started causing more interference. These units operate in the same 5.15 GHz to 5.85 GHz range that WiFi networks use. Depending on your WiFi density you could have similar interference issues. I ultimately replaced these with a set of Dante AVIO devices, and they have been rock solid.

The other units operate in the 2.4Ghz band that is also shared with WiFi networks.

Last edited:

radix

Major Contributor
Thanks for those measurements. For driving only a subwoofer, the SVS or Dynasty is probably ok, as all the distortion is > 120 Hz (eyeballing it from graph). The Dynasty does look better, though.

I have a pair of the SVS tripath that I should give a measure.

OP
M

MatthewS

Forum Donor
I have a pair of the SVS tripath that I should give a measure.

Looks like someone posted some tests, never hurts to have more though:

Zoomer

I hope it's the Dynasty V2 that Amir will be testing. It has replaced the V1 and according to Dynasty support it uses the same 5.2/5.8G wireless module as KEF KW1 with a different enclosure and sells for half the price.

radix

Major Contributor
Looks like someone posted some tests, never hurts to have more though:

I ran my own measurements too on a QA402, which I posted in that other thread. They were pretty close to the other measurements, except my SNR was different -- I'm not sure if that's my methodology or reality.

DubbyMcDubs

Nice writeup!

Are the grounds on the RCA terminals tied together or isolated on the Dynasty? I am considering using L and R as separate inputs from two sources.

OP
M

MatthewS

Forum Donor
I don’t have the unit as Amir has it for measuring.

As far as I know, an electronic device would only ever have a single ground.

Wino

Posted in speaker forum, but probably better answered here. How much delay is Introduced by SVS wireless adapter? I want to connect 2 speakers to Krell Digital Vanguard integrated amp and use Tri Band adapter connect to rca's on Gustard X26 Pro for subwoofer. How noticeable is the delay and thoughts on whether connecting subwoofer one step before amp would negate delay.

Thank you.

OP
M

MatthewS

Forum Donor
I listed the delay in milliseconds in the first post.

It’s not noticeable. Switching the order of the subwoofer isn’t going to make any material difference in the delay.

Wino

I listed the delay in milliseconds in the first post.

It’s not noticeable. Switching the order of the subwoofer isn’t going to make any material difference in the delay.
Thank you

Top Bottom