• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of the Fiio E10k Line Out

solderdude

Grand Contributor
One day, hopefully soon, you'll get the hang of it.
When adjusting levels you only have to do this at 1kHz or so.

OP
Thalis

Thalis

One day, hopefully soon, you'll get the hang of it.
When adjusting levels you only have to do this at 1kHz or so.

Well it is frustrating..... I have tested mains again, several batteries, resistors and what not and measurements all came out ok. But I still cannot get accurate low VAC readings. Could not replicate what went right last night. Wondering if the MM is a dud but then other measurements are working well..... sigh

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Maybe you are not making proper contact ?
It is unlikely everything measures properly except DAC output unless the DAC get's the incorrect input.

OP
Thalis

Thalis

Maybe you are not making proper contact ?
It is unlikely everything measures properly except DAC output unless the DAC get's the incorrect input.

I have used bare probing, crocodile clips, using fingers to press hard etc. How to explain lower frequencies are lower than 0.2VAC while the higher ones are way over 2.3VAC for the Fiio E10k if it is getting the wrong input? Foobar2000 is sending bitperfect signals at 0dB, no DSP, no SOX, no replay gain, nothing. In fact I am getting identical readings as the first set of values I posted last night that were wrong.

Really puzzling and its my very first time working on a MM like this. I really hope I did not get a dud and I do not have another MM like it to confirm if anything is not ok or ok.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I suppose it has to do with the time base.
When using the auto function there should be enough complete sines visible and then it should show the correct voltage.

OP
Thalis

Thalis

I suppose it has to do with the time base.
When using the auto function there should be enough complete sines visible and then it should show the correct voltage.

yes I use that button all the time and it will show 3 to 5 complete waves depending on what frequency it sees

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Maybe contact the seller and try to get it replaced ?
Maybe ask the manufacturer ?

OP
Thalis

Thalis

Maybe contact the seller and try to get it replaced ?
Maybe ask the manufacturer ?

Yes perhaps i should do that.

From what I can tell, the display is benign and doesn't do anything to the reading. It is just a simple representation of a curve. By right it should get an accurate result even without activating the graphical display. Eg if I measure the mains it displays the correct result with graph or no graph.

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
Yes perhaps i should do that.

From what I can tell, the display is benign and doesn't do anything to the reading. It is just a simple representation of a curve. By right it should get an accurate result even without activating the graphical display. Eg if I measure the mains it displays the correct result with graph or no graph.
Any update? I am planning get one of this MMs to start my measurement journey.:)

OP
Thalis

Thalis

Any update? I am planning get one of this MMs to start my measurement journey.:)

I have returned the MT8206 and changing it for a MT8208. Still on transit :(. The 8206 was starting to malfunction...... suddenly could not even read batteries... 1.5V and 3.7V cells... kept reporting 0.00V on auto or otherwise.

OP
Thalis

Thalis

@lizhuoyin @solderdude

Received the MT8208... gave it a quick spin and I think I got something that's working as it should. It also has more settings and info on the graphical display. By the way how do I change the thread title?

Here's some pics:

Attachments

• MT8202 on desk.jpg
    MT8202 on desk.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 82
  • MT8202 measuring rig.jpg
    MT8202 measuring rig.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Mt8208 1kHz VAC.jpg
    Mt8208 1kHz VAC.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 85
  • MT8202 1kHz graph.jpg
    MT8202 1kHz graph.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 86
  • MT8208 20Hz VAC.jpg
    MT8208 20Hz VAC.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 82
  • MT8208 20Hz graph.jpg
    MT8208 20Hz graph.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 99
  • MT8208 20kHz VAC.jpg
    MT8208 20kHz VAC.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 91
  • MT8208 20kHz graph.jpg
    MT8208 20kHz graph.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 76

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
@lizhuoyin @solderdude

Received the MT8208... gave it a quick spin and I think I got something that's working as it should. It also has more settings and info on the graphical display. By the way how do I change the thread title?

Here's some pics:
Thanks for sharing. Waiting for mine. Should be here soon.

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
@lizhuoyin @solderdude

Here's some pics:
You can edit thread by clicking the drop-down beside the Unwatch button.

3125b

Major Contributor
Your new multimeter looks a lot better, much more useful display.

Here is a measurement I made today of the E10K (50mVrms with a 33R load):
E10K 50mV 33R Last.jpg
I'm not sure if Amir does these loaded or unloaded, but it didn't make that much difference anyway since it's not distortion limited.
Not great, but better than that weird xDuoo from a while ago :)
One thing to be mindful of when measuring unbalanced devices is that spike at the mains frequency of 50Hz. Easy to see in a window function, probably not so easy with a scope.

OP
Thalis

Thalis

Your new multimeter looks a lot better, much more useful display.

Here is a measurement I made today of the E10K (50mVrms with a 33R load):
View attachment 123251
I'm not sure if Amir does these loaded or unloaded, but it didn't make that much difference anyway since it's not distortion limited.
Not great, but better than that weird xDuoo from a while ago :)
One thing to be mindful of when measuring unbalanced devices is that spike at the mains frequency of 50Hz. Easy to see in a window function, probably not so easy with a scope.

Thank you... it was quite expensive for where I live and to only use to measure Line output :p. I will find other uses for it... ha ha.

What program did you use in Windows to get that readout?

3125b

Major Contributor
That's REW (5.20 beta, much improved over 5.19 for measurement purposes) with a RME ADI-2 Pro FS as ADC.

OP
Thalis

Thalis

That's REW (5.20 beta, much improved over 5.19 for measurement purposes) with a RME ADI-2 Pro FS as ADC.

oh ok... I have 5.19 installed but i never tried using it. You use the RME as the input from the Fiio's output yes?

3125b

Major Contributor
Yes, the device to be tested gets connected to the analog inputs of the RME. A single tone test with or without a load (for headphone outputs only of course) is easy enough to do, some other things I have yet to figure out. FR for example is very easy in loopback, however painful to impossible in any other way. It has a scope function too, works well though I'm not sure what it would tell me.

Here is a loopback FR measurement for the RME if you want to see what it looks like in REW:
FR REW Loopback.jpg

OP
Thalis

Thalis

Yes, the device to be tested gets connected to the analog inputs of the RME. A single tone test with or without a load (for headphone outputs only of course) is easy enough to do, some other things I have yet to figure out. FR for example is very easy in loopback, however painful to impossible in any other way. It has a scope function too, works well though I'm not sure what it would tell me.

Here is a loopback FR measurement for the RME if you want to see what it looks like in REW:
View attachment 123273

All I have is a USB mixer that handles max 16bit........ do you think it can be used for testing inputs?

Top Bottom