• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Sony TA-F540E

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
EDIT 29/10: I have resolved my measurement issue and also added a revised THD sweep.

Hopefully this is the correct area to post this.

Following on from the measurements @amirm did of the Yamaha A-1 amplifier, I thought I'd measure my Sony TA-F540E

This amp is rated at 90w x2 into 8 ohms - but I could only get 55w RMS per channel without any significant THD (both channels driven).

75w RMS per channel both channels driven ~ 0.006% THD @ 1kHz

112w RMS one channel driven ~ 0.1% THD @ 1kHz

All tests conducted @ 24/96kHz sampling.

Input voltage from DAC was 1.2v - although in this design, there is no active circuitry prior to the volume control, so input overload can be controlled by the volume control.

If people like this, I also have a JVC AX-5 which I could measure, along with a couple of other amps (if my dummy load can take the pressure!!)

Here are the graphs.

Attachments

• frequency-response.png
    frequency-response.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 394
  • smpte_thd.png
    smpte_thd.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 393
  • 75w both ch driven.png
    75w both ch driven.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 339
  • 112w RMS-single-channel-driven.png
    112w RMS-single-channel-driven.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 328
  • thd-vs-freq(revised).png
    thd-vs-freq(revised).png
    44.5 KB · Views: 325
  • 1w both ch driven revised.png
    1w both ch driven revised.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Can you post a few details about your test rig?

OP
audio_tony

audio_tony

Can you post a few details about your test rig?

My test rig is an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card for the ADC, and a customised CS4398 DAC (Ebay kit) to provide the test signals.

The DAC is fed via SPDIF from a USB to SPDIF converter.

The input to the sound card is buffered by a preamp with a gain of 2x.

For measuring the amplifier, I used an 8 ohm dummy load, with the output taken from a voltage divider (12k and 470 ohm to ground).

Attached is a reference plot of the 'loopback'.

Loopback measurements are: 0.0003% THD, 0.0006% THD+N, SINAD 104.50dB (see attached spectrum)

Attachments

• reference.png
    reference.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 142

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Very nice work here. And of course us test happy people would like to see you test JVC AX-5.

I notice Sony claimed THD of less than .008% while you obtained .0033% driven to 55 wpc. So looks like your results are in line with claims. I also wonder with the long train of 60 hz harmonics if the caps are up to snuff in this unit. Or maybe that was normal to them.

In any case, thanks for doing the measurements.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Added to the master review thread:)

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
Thanks for these...but science dunces like me could do with a little commentary on the graphs.
Or maybe a commentary on the commentary, e.g. why aren’t you happy with the THD/ freq graph?
Imagine you’re explaining it to a 10 year old. Maybe 6 year old to be safe.

OP
audio_tony

audio_tony

why aren’t you happy with the THD/ freq graph?

There appears to be some aberration in the software I am using. I have switched to a different app (Arta steps) and have now provided a revised THD sweep.

The aberration was that the THD measurement was unstable from the beginning of the measurement until ~ 1.5kHz where it stabilised.

bigx5murf

This bodes well for the Sony TA-AX6 I just scored at goodwill. Most people in this hobby thumb their noses at anything Sony. But quite a few of their products have shown promising measurements here.

I don't know when Sony went to hell, but they sure did. The way I found this forum was by googling Sony HAP-S1 reviews. You should read this one:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...urements-of-sony-hap-s1-streamer-server.6921/
Amir probably saved me $1000, since I was looking at one of these in the local home theatre store. On the other hand, older Sony seems just fine: I own an early 90's ES receiver which has always been satisfactory. Maybe it has something to do with them getting in the media business and the accompanying management changes. Whatever happened, I would not touch new Sony gear today, it is not what it was.

bigx5murf

If you look at the AVR that have been reviewed and measured here. They're universally lacking. But currently a Sony is at the top of the heap I believe. Beating out an Anthem and a NAD.

pma

Major Contributor
OP
audio_tony

audio_tony

Re frequency response, you might consider 2-channel measurement with ARTA/STEPS, free software.

I have previously used Arta for that purpose, but had doubts about it's accuracy - however - following an email to the Arta developer I now understand why I thought it was inaccurate.

I also have a bode plotter function in my USB 'scope that I could use - I probably should have used that (good up to 1MHz).

Top Bottom