• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Sonore microRendu Streamer

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
And now, it is obvious with one picture why your results were no good. You have used a skewed power cord plug. How many times must it be repeated, everything matters. Your skewed cord plug should be 90 degrees to the earth's magnetic field or parallel to it. You can't get results at a level of sensitivity that a grounding box works with such sloppy implementation. All that expensive test gear becomes useless from simple sloppiness. Oh, and is it okay to stack your Stax like that?View attachment 7043
Amateur hour at amirs residence comes around more often than happy hour at a dive bar...

Silvera

Can EMI / RF be measured? does it result in higher noise floor?

Sorry i dont know much about this stuff, id prefer to use optical but i know there can be problems with jitter.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can EMI / RF be measured? does it result in higher noise floor?

Sorry i dont know much about this stuff, id prefer to use optical but i know there can be problems with jitter.
Of course we can measure them. Problem is, they are all above audible band so you can't hear them anyway.

Worse yet, all these people who claim lower EMI/RFI have no numbers to show that is indeed the case! They use words to make you think such is the case, but they usually lack the equipment and know-how to measure let alone having achieved the same.

The other bit is that your DAC is extremely good at rejecting such noises so even if their level is reduced, it is not material.

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Hi all, thanks to the stunning generosity of @DimitryZ, I have a microRendu and a Topping DAC on their way to me. Together they will add long-needed streaming capability to my father's system.

I need to buy a power supply for the microRendu, and reading this review suggests they are sensitive to power supply quality.

I read the recommendations for lab-grade power supplies or SBooster's offerings. But these suggestions date back 5 years, and I wondered if there's now a more cost effective way to power the microRendu for transparent music reproduction.

Does anyone have any advice - maybe a decent, cheap-ish switch mode PS that won't add unwanted artefacts?

I'm based in the UK, in case that matters.

Many thanks in advance

James

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
D

Deleted member 24508

If it can't be measured and it's effects can't be reliably identified under bias controlled blind listening conditions, what is it's relevance in the real world? I for one would never waste a penny on any device that couldn't meet those standards.
If you came to me with a performance enhancing product with claims of increased power, I would put the vehicle on a rear wheel dyno and maybe run it at the dragstrip. If the numbers didn't match the claims you would be laughed out of any serious discussions.

Cars with louder exhausts can sound and feel faster too. But many times the numbers prove a loss in actual performance, but the driver loves the way it sounds and has no real interest in the numbers. He doesn't even want to see them. Sounds very familiar to me. :D
Standard road vehicles are a design compromise compared to their performance versions. Cars with louder exhausts of cause can just be louder, however a properly designed sports exhaust will improve performance and as a result obviously be louder.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
however a properly designed sports exhaust will improve performance and as a result obviously be louder.
No, really. LOL

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
a properly designed sports exhaust will improve performance and as a result obviously be louder.
A properly designed Sports exhaust should improve performance but won't necessarily be louder, actually.

The sound of road sports car exhausts is tuned to sound nice far more than to produce more power. A lot even have faux nice noise piped into the car via the speakers or have a connecting tube between engine bay and cabin to sound "nice".

Racing car exhausts are very focussed on power and silencers are not mandated, so the sound may or may not be nice but will be loud and the power is hugely increased but over a very narrow resonance tuned rev band.

This has nothing to do with high fidelity reproduction of an audio recording.

Last edited:
Top Bottom