• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Soncoz LA-QXD1 Pre-production "Evolution of KTE Board"

Ben1987

Audio Company
I’m asking if this can properly drive a low impedance amp (20 kohms for example?) up to the DAC’s max out put voltage (2V unbal, 4 V balanced) without the need for a preamp.
I think it's OK.
In fact, I've been using the DAC(SGD1/ LA-QXD1) to drive my 32 ohm impedance high sensitivity headphones and it feels good.

BenF

Forum Donor
Hi Ben, why did you implement a USB 2 type B connector? Nobody uses that anymore, everybody's going for USB type C connectors.

H

Hifihedgehog

Hi Ben, why did you implement a USB 2 type B connector? Nobody uses that anymore, everybody's going for USB type C connectors.
I think I can answer that: build quality. USB-C is great, don't get me wrong, but just because USB-C exists doesn't mean you need it. It is definitely more resilient than micro USB or mini USB but I see IT guys and consumers complaining a lot more about bent USB-C plugs than USB-A or -B plugs. The other secondary reason is ubiquity. There are still easily 100 times more USB-A and USB-B devices in the wild. Even the USB-C microphone I just bought is a USB-C to USB-A cable because USB-A is so much more available and accepted. Besides, it is very easy to source a USB-B to USB-C cable online if you require USB-C on the source end.

Tup3x

Reactions: pos

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Which does it use by the way? I guess fast roll off?
Let’s hope it is a fast roll off indeed, with good attenuation at nyquist. I find it pretty strange that most default filters as seen in Amir’s tests tend to have a higher cutoff frequency than theory would dictate, typically reaching good attenuation around 24khz instead of 22khz for a 44.1khz sampling rate...

For example, from the sgd1 review:
(Amir said he did use the "Bric" one for his measurements and that looks like a good default one to choose!)
index.php

Last edited:

pos

Forum Donor
What is the phase response of that filter? That name conveys a “mixed phase” idea to me...

pos

Forum Donor
Thanks, so that is definitely minimum-phase.
Not sure that is a sensible default/unique filter to have.

apodising.png

Tup3x

I'd imagine the linear phase being overall more optimal.

ClosDeBen

++remote control and/or digital volume knob. I realize that increases the cost but I'm feeding active speakers.

hyperknot

@Ben1987 I have a very unusual request, but I think many of us would be happy to know the answer to. Can you test the new SONCOZ DACs with a very long USB cable? I'd be interested in something like:
- 10 meter passive cable
- 20 meter active cable, like the Ugreen USB 2.0 Active Extension Cable (20M)

I'd like to use a balanced DAC in a room where I need to solve 20 meters between computer and speakers, and I'd like to know if long USB cable would work (only for data). The alternative would be using long XLR balanced cables.

porotikos

Amazon or direct purchase from us both OK.
Either way, it doesn't make much difference
Ben , will you be shipping from within Europe regarding eu purchases)? If not, the only way to avoid customa charges, would be if items are shipped and (or) fulfilled by amazon. Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.de would be ideal for Europeans. I am saying that, because I had a hard time getting khadas. I had to wait till Christmas so that it was fulfilled by amazon from a specific shop at that time period.
the only other way to avoid customa, would be if it was sold by gearbest or banggood, and they offered priority direct mail option for the purchase. Hope you can help us Europeans to avoid customs. Cheers

Top Bottom