• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Soncoz LA-QXD1 Pre-production "Evolution of KTE Board"

FreaK

My unit arrived today, i just finished setting it up. Am I the first owner here? :)
(little off topic but: i had to drive ~100Km to the nearest delivery depot, because they couldn't deliver it today due to lack of space in the delivery car...)

My first impressions are very good, the unit case, finishing and also the packaging are nice. The unit is a little smaller than i expected, but its good, because i have more space left on my desk :)
The DAC comes with two USB cables, one (type A to type C) for power delivery, and one (type A to type B) for data transfer. There is no power adapter in the box, i guess you can use it plugging in to a usb port on the PC. I found an old Huawei phone charger adapter, which outputs 5v/2A, and i think it's working fine with the DAC. The USB cables are rather short, i had to use another cable for the data connection.
The unit need's a driver to be installed (Windows 10), it can be found on Soncoz's website.

I'm switching from a Topping D70 (double the price, just saying..), so what about the sound? It's fantastic! The stereo space is bigger, the instrument separation is better, the bass is tighter, highs are more "airy", and there mids are more engaging. I think i get more audiophile particles (Zeos) out of this DAC! Just kidding :D didn't noticed anything bad or good listening to it during i wrote this :) It works flawlessly with my THX 789.

There are only three things i can complain about, but none of them is a deal breaker:

- USB cables are short, the data cable is only about 1m.
- indicator LED's are a little too bright for me, but it's easy to solve :)
- the unit doesn't remember the volume setting when powered off. Just look the post from @Ben1987 before this post :)

Long story short: it's a super little DAC, with exceptional price to performance ratio, it's worth buying. ;)

Thanks to @Ben1987 who made it happen!

I drop here some pic's, hope mod's don't mind.

IMG_20200508_205313.jpg

IMG_20200508_204851.jpg

IMG_20200508_204824.jpg

Last edited:

porotikos

what power adapter is it recommended to use? minimum requirements? i do not want to feed it from my noisy usb ports. cheers

FreaK

what power adapter is it recommended to use? minimum requirements? i do not want to feed it from my noisy usb ports. cheers
It needs 5v/1A, so anything better than that will work. But also you PC usb port should be good, because the DAC should have good filtering. Maybe Ben1987 can confirm this.

Ben1987

Audio Company
My unit arrived today, i just finished setting it up. Am I the first owner here?
Very likely the first one to get LA-QXD1 and thank you for choosing the SONCOZ.
USB cables are short, the data cable is only about 1m.
Later we will customize our USB cable, which is about 1.5 meters.
indicator LED's are a little too bright for me, but it's easy to solve
As a matter of fact, we solved the problem in a new batch of production:)

Ben1987

Audio Company
what power adapter is it recommended to use? minimum requirements? i do not want to feed it from my noisy usb ports
For adapters, LA-QXD1 has no special requirements(Multiple adapters have been tested,If you want to feel better, you can use power bank ), as long as it can steadily output more than 5V1A power adapter.
A regular phone adapter is a good choice and It is not recommended to use the USB interface of the computer, mainly because the power may not be enough(5V@500mA).
The internal amplifier circuit of LA-QXD1 has a positive and negative voltage booster circuit, and the external start power supply should ensure 5V1A. Otherwise, the circuit may be unstable. BTW, the power consumption of LA-QXD1 in normal operation is about 3.8W.

Fotophred

Mine turned up today (Covid 19 has slowed the couriers) – direct from Soncoz
Nice DAC – when considering the sound and the features it is a bargain.
I have a low end DAC from US manufactured US fanboy favoured manure brand and the Soncoz is way better.
Have not reviewed many new DACs but prefer the LA QXD1 to Chord Mojo

hyperknot

@Ben1987 I really want to oder this device, but that "Loniceraudio" is really hurting my eyes on @FreaK 's photos. I think it the past you said it's only a customization and won't be present on production units. But the one he bought from Audiophonics has this text. Is it something to do with Audiophonics? How can I order one without that text?

---

About power supplies, the official Raspberry Pi 4 PSU is supposedly very high quality and tested and certified and used by millions of Raspberry Pis. Would it work with the DAC? It's 5.1V / 3.0 A.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/type-c-power-supply/

USB-C-Product-Brief (1).pdf (page 3 of 8) 2020-05-09 18-02-26.png

Last edited:

VielenDanke

I would love to buy one of these when they're back in stock. The LA-QXD1 measures great and seems to sound great. The black version is out of stock on the audiophonics.fr website. I might have to wait until the Soncoz amazon store has some in stock. Shipping to the USA is quite expensive from Audiophonics.

Edit: The black version is back in stock on the Audiophonics website as of May the 11th 2020. The total price of shipping to the USA was 277 USD! I definately will wait for the amazon store to have some in stock.

Last edited:

Nybto

Forum Donor
LA-QXD1 can't remember volume if it is powered off.
We will consoder this feature in the future.
@Ben1987, thanks. Could you just clarify, do you mean you would consider it as a firmware update mod, or something else? How far away might that be?

adriano93

@Ben1987
Got my device last friday and first of all the sound quality is amazing. It looks very heavy/good and also the buttons have premium quality.
So on the one hand i love this device, but on the other hand the software part is not good in my opinion.
1. Biggest problem for me, sometimes device hang up and i need to remove power and usb cable, wait a few seconds and reconnect. When i try another DAC, i dont have this problem.
2. I read it before that this device dont remember volume after restart. But i hope you can add this feature in Control Panel Update or Firmware.
Especially in Control Panel it should not a big problem.

Want to use it as a DAC between a HTPC and amplifier for speakers. So i want to watch movies and hear music on television. I love the sound quality definitly, but i dont like to reconnect this device or setup every day the volume, because i always use highest volume and use amplifier for that.

With better software and firmware, this could be an amazing device.

VielenDanke

@Ben1987
Got my device last friday and first of all the sound quality is amazing. It looks very heavy/good and also the buttons have premium quality.
So on the one hand i love this device, but on the other hand the software part is not good in my opinion.
1. Biggest problem for me, sometimes device hang up and i need to remove power and usb cable, wait a few seconds and reconnect. When i try another DAC, i dont have this problem.
2. I read it before that this device dont remember volume after restart. But i hope you can add this feature in Control Panel Update or Firmware.

Want to use it as a DAC between a HTPC and amplifier for speakers. So i want to watch movies and hear music on television. I love the sound quality definitly, but i dont like to reconnect this device or setup every day the volume, because i always use highest volume and use amplifier for that.

With better software and firmware, this could be an amazing device.

Thank you for the information on the DAC. If you do not mind me asking did you purchase the DAC from the Soncoz store or did you buy it from another vendor?

Ben1987

Audio Company
Thank you very much for your comments. We have been collecting and listening to your comments. We will gradually optimize the details of the product to provide better ones.

Ben1987

Audio Company
@Ben1987 I really want to oder this device, but that "Loniceraudio" is really hurting my eyes on @FreaK 's photos.
A new batch of production has been removed.
About power supplies, the official Raspberry Pi 4 PSU is supposedly very high quality and tested and certified and used by millions of Raspberry Pis. Would it work with the DAC?
It's enough for LA-QXD1.

adriano93

Thank you very much for your comments. We have been collecting and listening to your comments. We will gradually optimize the details of the product to provide better ones.
Hello Ben,
do you mean a new device or by optimizing this device? Is it possible to upgrade control panel, that it send a fixed volume setting to this device? Because in december you wrote it is it is possible to change volume and mute via usb... :(
Thank you

Last edited:

Nybto

Forum Donor
Just because the software upgrade can't remember the volume.
We will collect more information and improve the next generation product.
Sorry to hear this Ben. I appreciate the big effort you have put into this one. The elimination of the ESS hump and the performance are a significant achievement, the look of the unit and the finish is excellent, perfectly matches my MacBook in silver (the colour and the corners).

Top Bottom