• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Soncoz LA-QXD1 Pre-production "Evolution of KTE Board"

gvl

Major Contributor

What is the second similar looking chip then?

soncoz.png

wassim01

I want to ask you a question, but before I want to inform you that I am a novice in this field. if someone can explain to me why this dac LA-QXD1 can be better than other dac in the same price range with only one chip ESS 9038Q2M ?
for example :
1-smsl su-8 which shares the same options of the LA-QXD1 (balanced xlr outputs ....) + 2 ESS 9038Q2M chips + remote control + internal power supply for a price of $ 200
2- smsl m300 mk2 which shares the same options of the LA-QXD1 (balanced xlr outputs ....) + a high range ak4497 chip + remote control + external power supply + bluetooth for a price of $ 240
thank you for your answers

gvl

Major Contributor
if someone can explain to me why this dac LA-QXD1 can be better than other dac in the same price range with only one chip ESS 9038Q2M ?

Given a proper listening test you won't be able to tell any difference between these DACs as they are technically well executed devices. The LA-QXD1 does seem to perform better than any other budget DAC with XLRs we've seen to date so it is recognized as a technical achievement here, plus it is in a sense a sequel to the Khadas Tone Board which has a following on this site. Just go by features you need, e.g. the su-8 has a remote, or maybe the looks or the form factor.

ceausuc

I want to ask you a question, but before I want to inform you that I am a novice in this field. if someone can explain to me why this dac LA-QXD1 can be better than other dac in the same price range with only one chip ESS 9038Q2M ?

for the same reason that there are dacs with higher end chips that sound/measure way worst: implementation. a dac is more than just a chip.
Ben is a very good designer and his Tone Board is the living proof of that.

Now gvl is probably right: hearing differences between these dacs won't be easy - unless you have a (very) good audio system , i might add.
dacs do sound different no matter what people say :) - dacs that measure the same here

wiz2596

Is the unit powered by just one usb 2.0 port or does it require an external power bank?

poimandres

Let us know if you hear anything back. I emailed both email addresses the night Ben announced they were available, haven’t heard anything yet.

Habu

unix

I keep checking every week to see if the link to the EU shop is working to order to the UK. High anticipations for this one.

Habu

PhnomPenhPaul

Thanks Habu for the link.
I note audiophonics.fr state the LA-QXD1 has dual 9038Q2M chips. In reply to a previous question @Ben1987 at post #290 indicated only a single chip was used. But as @gvl has mentioned at post #292 there seems to be another chip that looks (to this uniniated viewer also) remarkably similar to the 9038Q2M which we can see from the picture of the board. So is this a dual 9038Q2M DAC as audiophonics.fr state (and the picture of the LA-QXD1 would seem to suggest) or a single 9038Q2M DAC as Ben has said? I'm confused and although it matters not one bit as to how it sounds I am curious.

Habu

I note audiophonics.fr state the LA-QXD1 has dual 9038Q2M chips .

The description on Audiophonics website is now corrected with single 9038Q2M !

PhnomPenhPaul

Dear @PPP and @ Habu, Thanks for the replies. Curiosity satisfied, I will likely buy one before too long to use as a desktop system with headphones (for which the lack of remote control volume is of no concern). The choice for a speaker system DAC is more difficult - with several 'audibly transparent' DAC's available at different price points, I suspect a buying decision will for many (myself included) come down to features, aesthetics and (for me given my location) reliability. (One manufacturer in particular seems to have a bit of a QC issue given the posts I have read about several of its DAC models). I really can't thank Amir and the members of this forum enough for the time they take to share their experiences and knowledge which has been of great help.

Top Bottom