• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of Singxer SA-1 Headphone Amp(Preview)

Pillars

SA-1 now in place of my 2 channels system. I prefer SA-1.
Pros:
Compare with D90, sound is slightly warmer, clarity is around the same.
Better quality volume knob.

Cons:
SA-1's volume is just loud enough on low gain.

I am tempted to open it up and try direct coupling, just don't know if the DC protection really works.
(D90 shouldn't be pumping out DC.. )

I used DC mode. Sounds night and day better to me than without the jumpers. What kind of risks should I be aware of?

Mikechw

I used DC mode. Sounds night and day better to me than without the jumpers. What kind of risks should I be aware of?

You opened up the case ? I was tempted to try DC mode..
I think DC mode is safe as long as your DAC does not output DC.
SA-1 is equipped with DC protection on the output, just don't know how fast it kicks in.

Pillars

I measured my Freya S and through the pot it never pick up more than .x mv DC with no music playing so that's the bar I suppose. Looks like my situation is good as it sat at 0. I'd love to see this measured in DC mode.

Last edited:

JB5150

I've had this amp for a few days now, and my listening impressions are positive. Very clean and powerful control of my LCD-XC.
On SP200, I prefer LCD-XC over LCD-X.
On A90, I prefer LCD-X over LCD-XC.
SA-1, I like both!
There seems to be better control of low frequency with SA-1.
Fast speedy attack on high range, without being sibilant.

Pillars

This is a great deal for $539. The sound signature is vastly different when using DC mode, though.

R3Forge

i've just ordered the SA-1 too.

i'm struggling to understand how exactly to measure my dacs for "DC", as i'm pretty much an electronics noob. however, i've got a multimeter.
my instincts tell me to measure on the xlr pins either plus/minus to ground. and i guess that i am measuring for current and not for voltage? as a dac should output voltage on the xlrs. but of course it shouldn't output anything if there is no music running... i would be glad if someone could shortly explain this process :)

Mikechw

For XLR, I think the ground pin is just for shielding..
You should measure the voltage across Hot and Cold pin.

Pillars

I saw a guide that said to measure both positive to neg and then pos to ground.

bequietjk

I'd like to know what that wacky dynamic range is all about @Veri. How does this translate into the sound that we hear?

Veri

Master Contributor
I'd like to know what that wacky dynamic range is all about @Veri. How does this translate into the sound that we hear?
There's no way this is something you'd hear, it is so far removed from realistic listening levels it's purely at measure-bating levels :p
Other good amps hitting 125+ dB of dynamic range are surely just as worthy of 'TOTL' annotation.

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
i've just ordered the SA-1 too.

i'm struggling to understand how exactly to measure my dacs for "DC", as i'm pretty much an electronics noob. however, i've got a multimeter.
my instincts tell me to measure on the xlr pins either plus/minus to ground. and i guess that i am measuring for current and not for voltage? as a dac should output voltage on the xlrs. but of course it shouldn't output anything if there is no music running... i would be glad if someone could shortly explain this process :)
Maybe this link will help...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/how-do-i-measure-dac-output-voltage.14446/

Top Bottom