• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone have any experience with RME's support? I am having the exact problem in this thread and they won't help me with a replacement.
Well, you can't really expect them to replace a unit that was broken by your fault, can you ?
Ask for a repair.

As for me, I have 4 RME devices and never had an issue. So I'm afraid I can't help on that.

billqs

Did you buy it from an authorized dealer in your country? RME have known to be strict about not repairing items that come from the "grey market". (That's not my opinion. I buy used/grey a lot, but RME does this to protect their dealer network.)

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's fair to say their devices survive pretty unfriendly behaviors.
I shortcuted the phone output several times, overloaded the input, disconnected the power under full load,...
I stil can't break them.

Note: I didn't recommend you do the same, right ?

Last edited:

misteracng

I'm curious as well, is it that RME will not replace the unit, which I might understand or that they will not even repair it for a fee?

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I've seen on this form Topping owners that were using the wrong power supply and their products didn't suffered after this. I guess it's not that hard after all to implement a simple protection for an overvoltage, at least a Zenner or MOV and a slow-blow low-voltage fuse, although today regulators can take care of this by default. Probably this is why in OP's link to the same problem RME did replaced the broken device.

However, it would be interesting to find out from the OP the exact voltage and current type (AC or DC) that was using.

Veri

Master Contributor
Anyone have any experience with RME's support? I am having the exact problem in this thread and they won't help me with a replacement.
I do wonder what prompts someone to use any power supply they have lying around and plugging it into thousand dollar range equipment. If they can't send you a replacement free of charge, you will have to pay for a repair. not unreasonable...

sjeesjie

I have a question about this DAC. Is it possible to let it choose an input channel automatically? Say if I turn on the tv, will the RME be able to automatically select the Toslink input?
Also, does it have a hard or a soft powerbutton? Because I have every one of my components in one big power switch. If I switch on that power switch, will the unit be on or do I have to press another button?

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a question about this DAC. Is it possible to let it choose an input channel automatically? Say if I turn on the tv, will the RME be able to automatically select the Toslink input?
Yes
Also, does it have a hard or a soft powerbutton? Because I have every one of my components in one big power switch. If I switch on that power switch, will the unit be on or do I have to press another button?
Soft, and Yes, you do.
But that works from the remote, so I guess that's no problem.

ExpertNoob

Okay. With some patient and time I have been able to submit an RMA request. Situations complicated so I can't really give all the details here. Had to say my device was 2nd hand to finally get anywhere. Before I was being told send it back to the dealer I purchased from, but the dealer was OOC and they were slow to react. Regardless, seems I'll be getting it fixed now.

Gwilfred

I use the RME ADI-2 Pro fs R to feed my Genelec 1032A. Had to tune sensitivity down on the Genelec ;-)
That's same use than what you want to do, isn't it?

About using your PS Audio AD, why not ?
If you use the RME ADI-2 DAC, routing the PS Audio signal through SPDIF to the RME seems a good idea.
Just be careful that you may have to select clock source manually (or turn PC off) when using the turntable, depending on which sources will be connected simultaneously.

I've read PS Audio uses PCM4222 as an ADC, and, unless they've done something stupid, that should work fine: that's a very decent ADC.
(I do own the PCM4222 evaluation board, and measured performance is good, although the noise is higher than with the RME ADI-2 Pro ADC)

So forget the preamp.

Gwilfred

I have just bought a RME ADI-2 FS DAC and used it for the very first time. With headphones it is excellent and more. But through my Audio Innovations Series 300 integrated valve amplifier the volume is very low. I have had to turn the amp volume right up to halfway (midday) whereas with my Marantz HD DAC1 my amp volume doesn't need to go beyond 9 o'clock otherwise it is far too loud. So is there an adjustment to get louder line output from RME? I already have it turned to maximum +6.0
I think I must be missing something.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have just bought a RME ADI-2 FS DAC and used it for the very first time. With headphones it is excellent and more. But through my Audio Innovations Series 300 integrated valve amplifier the volume is very low. I have had to turn the amp volume right up to halfway (midday) whereas with my Marantz HD DAC1 my amp volume doesn't need to go beyond 9 o'clock otherwise it is far too loud. So is there an adjustment to get louder line output from RME? I already have it turned to maximum +6.0
How do you have it connected mate somethings not right

Schackmannen

Forum Donor
What ref level are you using?

Cortes

RME has an official forum. They can help better

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewforum.php?id=21

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Set the output reference level to automatic. This gives more than enough output. Attention: start with -40 DB.

yeaster

Can any kind owners of RME ADI-2 DAC help me measure the length and depth of the unit based from 1 feet (stand?) of the unit to the other?

Many thanks in advance!

RPG

Forum Donor
Are you looking for the distance from the inside edge of one foot to the inside edge of the other (width and depth) or from the center of one foot to the center of the other (width and depth)?

Top Bottom