• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

orangejello

Maybe try the 'Sharp' filter as well as that has flat phase response like the 'NOS' filter although the EQ changes the phase of the affected frequencies a bit.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So I should disable de emphasis?

Bliman

As for Bliman's measurements, it looks like his main speakers do not have much output below 100 Hz, for whatever reason. I would suggest that the first thing to do is to measure them again, but without the subwoofer.
Hi. It seems like I have room modes. I will not post further in this thread about the correction. Because I think it is a little off topic. But if you want to follow. I post on the RME forum about my findings of the correction.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
I'm so happy to have this new one :D. The upgraditus is hitting hard!

Oukkidoukki

Shizo , do you have the feeling that sound is little bit different? How? Listen the song you know well.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Just sounds clearer tbh. But this is a science forum. I shouldn't be indulging in such questions lol. *Cough* more detail retrieval *cough* blacker background because of better SNR *cough*.

Last edited:

Oukkidoukki

I hear you man..............thanks for telling! But let’s just play along so the science guys dont get angry: No difference! Sounds the same! We can’t hear it!

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But this is a science forum. I shouldn't be indulging in such questions lol.
You should. Once you're able to really hear differences it in controlled test. Sadly, you just missed a hell of a chance.;)

This is most probably the worst scenario for expectation bias:
Once your mind is trying to justify the cost of the upgrade (and knowing the slightly better measured performance), it tries to trick you. As simple as that.

I hear you man..............thanks for telling! But let’s just play along so the science guys dont get angry: No difference! Sounds the same! We can’t hear it!
:facepalm:
Ok... what's the point of this, @Oukkidoukki ? This isn't a vote situation (again). If you're not OK with science guys here, why not look elsewhere?!
We're talking about a revision of an extremely transparent DAC. There is extremely little chances that any difference would be audible since the DAC is 90% the same unit with a revised chip. Why not ask directly to @MC_RME if there is supposed to be audible difference? I have a little clue about his answer...

Last edited:

Oukkidoukki

Here we go shizo......your name suggests you must be somekind of a ninja......better sharpen your sword now my son.....science guys are gonna hit us hard and long.........lets just be quiet my young padwan........let them drown in their own anger....

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
better sharpen your sword now my son.....science guys are gonna hit us hard and long.........lets just be quiet my young padwan........let them drown in their own anger....
ASR.jpg

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Cant wait till this thing gets measured :D

ShiZo

Forum Donor
All I know is my system sounds almost perfect now :).

I wonder if anyone with one of these would have balls big enough to send one to @amirm for measurements, because I surely don't :(.

@MC_RME already said he would send one in due time. But it sounded like it would be in January. The faster people know the specs the better for the consumer. I really wanna see the 32 tone input signal! The rme before already had a really pretty graph of the 32 tone test. Also SNR is kinda unknown. Only thing simi official I've seen was between 115-116 SINAD.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Seems like when RME puts their mind to it they can make the best implementation of any off the shelf dac.

First the 4490, now I doubt we'll see a better implementation of the 4493 than the updated adi 2 dac.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Believe it or not I'll probably end up paying the same I would have buying the remote. It had a great resale. I hope this one keeps that tradition going.

@JustPoo , I don't think it's out yet.

JustPoo

I'll have to keep an eye out then, thanks. They sell for about £700 second hand here and £850+ new now. Hopefully the remote won't be £150!. If the revised model had added more features I'd have considered it though, it's probably my favourite bit of kit. If they added a phone app and streaming then it really would be a magic box, but that's wishful thinking - they seem to be extracting every last ounce out of the hardware as it is. Maybe on their next model, fingers crossed :)

Top Bottom