• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

Veri

Master Contributor
We will supply a new ADI-2 DAC to ASR, no need to buy one. On the other hand we are not in a hurry to do so, the first batch of units that will arrive in the US will go into sales (hopefully this is understandable). Also everyone knows that Amir is very busy and has a large backlog, so he most probably is also glad when the unit arrives a little bit later...;)
Excellent :)

Celty

We will supply a new ADI-2 DAC to ASR, no need to buy one. On the other hand we are not in a hurry to do so, the first batch of units that will arrive in the US will go into sales (hopefully this is understandable). Also everyone knows that Amir is very busy and has a large backlog, so he most probably is also glad when the unit arrives a little bit later...;)
I'll be looking forward to seeing this review!

jwb

Has anyone experienced a problem with the power inlet on these? I bought one from B&H Photo that was used in "like new" condition and it arrived with the power pin broken off. It sort-of works if you pull the power cord over to the left. Obviously the previous owner could have just dropped it or something, but I'm curious.

I'm sure I can fix this but would not like to void whatever warranty they offer.

D

Deleted member 65

Has anyone experienced a problem with the power inlet on these? I bought one from B&H Photo that was used in "like new" condition and it arrived with the power pin broken off. It sort-of works if you pull the power cord over to the left. Obviously the previous owner could have just dropped it or something, but I'm curious.

I'm sure I can fix this but would not like to void whatever warranty they offer.

From manual:

Socket for power connection. This socket supports locking type jacks as found on the included RME DC power supply. After inserting the connector carefully turn it by 90° so that it locks.

jwb

From manual:

Socket for power connection. This socket supports locking type jacks as found on the included RME DC power supply. After inserting the connector carefully turn it by 90° so that it locks.

Whoa. Good advice there. Thanks muchly.

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ive been thinking of buying a new dac for awhile. Sabre pro or rme v2 if i can figure out when i can get that one @MC_RME .

RobertSc

Well, I am not buying another one if that is what you are asking. :) If someone loans me one or @MC_RME supplies one, I can remeasure.

I didn't expect you buy another unit, but i saw RME's message that they will supply you one in a few weeks, so that's great. Will be interesting to see the difference between measurements, but I am sure RME would not change anything unless there was an improvement. I have also heard that there will be 3-4 other RME products coming out that are specifically designed to work with the new ADI. No idea what they will be yet.

JIW

This won't be that a surprise, specs from RME being reliable. SINAD will be 116-117db and IMD probably on par or better than DX3 Pro.

That depends on how @amirm measures it.

If he choses to do it at 2 V RMS and 4 V RMS, for the single ended and symmetrical output, respectively, according to RME's specs for the SNR (117 dB for original, 120 dB for revised) SINAD should improve by 3 dB to 115 dB.

If he choses to do it at 0 dB FS for the highest output level (13 dBu single ended, 19 dBu symmetrical), SINAD should be RME's spec which is the 117 dB you mention.

I suggest he do both.

I would expect the IMD measurement to be dominated by noise until about -3 dB FS where distortion should become significant. The RME has 3 dB lower noise than the DX3 Pro and lower distortion so should do better across the board if measured at 0 dB FS. If measured so that a sine with 0 dB FS peak input gives 2 V or 4 V respectively, it should have higher noise but better distortion. Thus, compared to the IMD measurement of the original ADI-2 DAC (see below), it should fall below the DX3 Pro earlier, i.e. the curves should intersect further to the left, and end at a lower level (at least 3 dB than original but likely more).
index.php

Reactions: pos

Tks

Major Contributor
I use the ADI-2 with the optical output of my Panasonic plasma screen, and without any problems. I also use the optical output of my BD player and the optical output of a CCA, all into an automatic switch.
It is a completely stable unit, and the extra functionality of balance, tone control, dynamic loudness etc is very useful. You will no longer need a pre amp.

Lol you got a Plasma still as well? Same here haha.

As for @ramzi

I don't know how so many people are having problems with optical. There is no way with a sensible length like 3 foot long optical cable, without any serious bends, issues like this arise. If they do, both SMSL and Topping have serious issues on their hands.

I use this cable from J&D from their Amazon page. I've not had issues with it on my PC, on my TV, on my PS4 Pro, connected to the ADI 2, DX3 Pro, or even connected to a pair of Vanatoo T1 Encore powered speakers that have optical input.

No problems with any of this mix and match mashup.

JIW

He will. As with any DAC, @amirm always matches outputs to 2V/4V for the SINAD chart (if he may). So Ref Level +13dBu, set to -4.5db (8.5/14.5dBu):
View attachment 39772

He has measured the Lynx Hilo and Benchmark DAC3 at 24 and 34 dBu. However, that was more than a year ago.
index.php

index.php

Anyways, as the RME can also be used as a preamplifier, I think measuring at its full output level is relevant.

Further, as I said before, I think noise will dominate any measurement with input level below -3 dB FS. With the volume set to -4.5 dB, the highest input level will be lower than that and will just show the SNR increasing with increasing level while with the volume set to 0.0 dB, the highest input level will be higher and the amount of distortion at higher levels can be evaluated while retaining most of the information the measurement at -4.5 dB would have provided.

Thus, to refine my suggestion, I think that @amirm should do the dashboard for both the common 2V / 4V and 13 dBu/19 dBu while doing the other measurements with volume at 0.0 dB at 13 dBu/19 dBu.

Schackmannen

Forum Donor
He has measured the Lynx Hilo and Benchmark DAC3 at 24 and 34 dBu. However, that was more than a year ago.
index.php

index.php

Anyways, as the RME can also be used as a preamplifier, I think measuring at its full output level is relevant.

Further, as I said before, I think noise will dominate any measurement with input level below -3 dB FS. With the volume set to -4.5 dB, the highest input level will be lower than that and will just show the SNR increasing with increasing level while with the volume set to 0.0 dB, the highest input level will be higher and the amount of distortion at higher levels can be evaluated while retaining most of the information the measurement at -4.5 dB would have provided.

Thus, to refine my suggestion, I think that @amirm should do the dashboard for both the common 2V / 4V and 13 dBu/19 dBu while doing the other measurements with volume at 0.0 dB at 13 dBu/19 dBu.
I agree, I would like most measurements to be done at 0 dBr at whatever ref level @amirm thinks is best rather than trying to match for example a 2 V output so that the RME doesn't have a constant reduction in SNR in all the tests. So IMO it would be better to set the volume control to 0 dBr with 7 dBu ref level (1.73/3.46 Vrms for RCA/XLR) instead of setting the volume control to -4.5 dBr with 13 dBu ref level, it would make things more fair.

Willem

Major Contributor
@Tks "Lol you got a Plasma still as well? Same here haha. "
As I wrote elsewhere, I tend to use gear until it breaks. In this particular case I hope the plasma screen will last at least a few more years (it is now ten years old). Image quality is stunningly good and I don't miss the lack of 4K because there are no 4K tv stations in the Netherlands or neighbouring countries that I get on my cable subscription. Similarly, the number of UHD Bluray discs is still too small to motivate me, particularly when we are talking art films. The commercial crap on Netflix is not an incentive either. In short, I am sure that I will move to 4K at some stage, but for now I think this is just about the best image quality I can get. In fact, I find most 4K screens in the shops pretty ghastly and in your face. So I keep my fingers crossed that the screen will last a few more years.

As for optical cables: I have never had any issues. The cable from the TV is 5 meters, and also has a 90 degree adaptor, but no dropouts.

Top Bottom