• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

Nango

Major Contributor
Ohh, but it doesn't say "V2"..... Is this a new one on the pics?

Edit: Oooops, my mistake, I didn't scroll down, now I got it!!

So this now should trim down px on 2nd hand mkt :):) !! ....and a good reason for @amirm to test it again.

Last edited:

ramzi

@VintageFlanker noticed the same thing, I also went through the docs, found this bit regarding the analog output stage:

From https://rme-audio.de/adi-2-dac.html:
Finally, the device now also offers a clear reserve in volume setting. +2.5 dB result in a still undistorted analog output signal.

From Audiophonics:
More relays, a modified dual symmetrical attenuator circuit and an additional AOP in buffer allow a reduction in noise and THD.

PPP

@VintageFlanker noticed the same thing, I also went through the docs, found this bit regarding the analog output stage:

From https://rme-audio.de/adi-2-dac.html:

From Audiophonics:
This just means they chose not to use the maximum output volume for 0db. Probably they use large amplitude mode in AK4493, which gives ~2.5db more volume. So when implementing it, the signal will not clip for the first 2.5db as AK4490 does (where the +6 headroom are all digial).

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This just means they chose not to use the maximum output volume for 0db. Probably they use large amplitude mode in AK4493, which gives ~2.5db more volume. So when implementing it, the signal will not clip for the first 2.5db as AK4490 does (where the +6 headroom are all digial).
Yep. I understood the same thing.

What I'm trying to figure is: what about the "improved analog output stage" claimed by Audiophonics (and only them, for now)?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe Audiophonics meas "DAC has improved analog output stage from Pro".
DAC vs Pro, not
4493 DAC vs 4490 DAC:p
Their words are misleading.
Exactly what RME just told me. This was the original text from the ADI-2 DAC back in the days.
Their words are misleading.
Definitely. It is literally saying (in French and in English): The V2 has an improved analog output stage over the V1, which is wrong.

Last edited:

RobertSc

I reviewed and measured the RME ADI-2 DAC a year ago. That was just prior to getting my new Audio Precision APx555 so the measurements don't directly compare to what I publish now. So a local member kindly loaned me his ADI-2 DAC to get fresh measurements.

If you are not familiar with RME ADI-2 DAC, it is a DAC-only version of the RME ADI-2 Pro. The former costs US $1,099 and the latter, US $1,999. It is an all-in-one DAC, headphone amplifier plus remote control. It has better connectivity with all the jacks in the back rather than dongle in RME ADI-2 Pro. The menu system is world's easier to navigate than the RME ADI-2 Pro. It has built-in parametric EQ and pretty spectrum display.

For the measurements, I took an abbreviated set but I think it paints the picture quite well.

DAC Measurements
Dashboard view is with USB input using RME ASIO driver and XLR balanced output set to nearly 4 volt output:

View attachment 26254

SINAD (signal over noise and distortion) is 112 which is excellent. Even more excellent is that the highest harmonic is at less than 122 dB! So what brings it down to 112 dB is noise which is much more benign than distortion. The SINAD firmly plants the RME ADI-2 DAC in excellent category of well over 100 DACs tested:

View attachment 26227

Here is the RCA/unbalanced output performance:

View attachment 26252
Jitter is picture perfect:
View attachment 26228

As is linearity:
View attachment 26229

And here is the IMD graph:
View attachment 26234

At max level, it beats the Topping DX3 Pro. It has higher noise though that may be an artifact of where I have set the volume.

Per later request in the thread, here are the multitone and THD+N vs frequency:
View attachment 26255

View attachment 26256

Headphone Amplifier Measurements
Here is the power versus distortion at 300 ohm:
View attachment 26230

These are both using the 1/4 inch jack. In low mode the RME ADI-2 DAC matches the Topping DX3 Pro in noise but stops just a bit short in power. It makes up for that in high power mode where it produces twice as much power and at lower distortion level.

Switching to 33 ohm and measuring both the 1/4 inch and IEM jacks we get:
View attachment 26231

The IEM jack does what it is supposed to do: producing even lower noise than the low mode (by about 5 dB). This is reflected in signal to noise ratio measurements:
View attachment 26257

Which gets us this for sensitive IEMs as far as noise:
View attachment 26258

An excellent showing all around.

Conclusions
What we had guessed from my old measurements is confirmed using new instrumentation. The DAC portion is near perfect as is the headphone amplifier. Yes, a dedicated headphone amplifier like JDS Labs Atom or Massdrop THX AAA789 is a hair better but they lack the integration that the RME ADI-2 brings.

In some sense, I think of the RME ADI-2 DAC as a better Topping DX3 Pro. It has more power and features. And of course it is German made for those of you who prefer to get western gear for whatever preference (import costs, warranty, etc.). You will pay four to five times more for these differences so you would have to decide the trade offs.

Of course I continue to recommend the RME ADI-2 DAC.

-----
We are going to have a huge party for those of you who have donated to the forum. It will be open bar and all you can eat. Since I am not too fond of spending my own money on such things, I hope the rest of you can donate so that we can eat and drink well. Use either:

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/audiosciencereview), or
upgrading your membership here though Paypal (https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...eview-and-measurements.2164/page-3#post-59054).

Might be worth a re-test of the upgraded RME Adi-2 now that it has a new dac, improved analogue circuitry and bonus of a new remote? (Disclosure mine is arriving tomorrow:)
"The updated ADI-2 DAC uses AKM's AK4493 in a special circuit variant developed by RME engineers that allows the chip to perform at its best. With noise levels of 123 dBA, distortion less than -120 dB, or THD+N of -117 dB, the device delivers outstanding measured values. Even the IEM output, with -118 dBu already the world's lowest noise headphone output, improves to a sensational -120 dBu. In addition, there is 4 dB of digital headroom, so that even high intersample peaks do not produce any audible distortion. Finally, the device now also offers a clear reserve in volume setting. +2.5 dB result in a still undistorted analog output signal."
https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-dac.html

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Might be worth a re-test of the upgraded RME Adi-2 now that it has a new dac, improved analogue circuitry and bonus of a new remote? (Disclosure mine is arriving tomorrow:)
Well, I am not buying another one if that is what you are asking. :) If someone loans me one or @MC_RME supplies one, I can remeasure.

mshenay

Well, I am not buying another one if that is what you are asking. :) If someone loans me one or @MC_RME supplies one, I can remeasure.

Yea I'm not buying another either, I think mine's under a year old. Any one know what serial numbers start having these "v2" upgrades?

Ehh doesn't matter, I wanted to ask did we do the REF measurements here? Or was that some one else elsewhere

Schackmannen

Forum Donor
Is there a point though? Obviously RME are truthfull with their specs and you're pretty much just gonna get whatever numbers they put in the manual. As much as I love to look at graphs of excellent performing gear I feel like it's better to spend time measuring gear with unknown performance.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
We will supply a new ADI-2 DAC to ASR, no need to buy one. On the other hand we are not in a hurry to do so, the first batch of units that will arrive in the US will go into sales (hopefully this is understandable). Also everyone knows that Amir is very busy and has a large backlog, so he most probably is also glad when the unit arrives a little bit later...;)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a point though? Obviously RME are truthfull with their specs
There is always a point to check manufacturers specs and see if both match (obviously, they will;))

Might be worth a re-test of the upgraded RME Adi-2 now that it has a new dac, improved analogue circuitry
It does not have an improved analog circuitry. Just a new DAC chip.

We will supply a new ADI-2 DAC to ASR, no need to buy one
Thanks RME!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom