• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

PPP

Speaking of measurements, here are RME's own (from the manual).
Screenshot%202019-11-11%20at%2021.27.47.png

Also bear in mind that the graph above is measured by an ADI-2 Pro FS, whose ADC has -112 dB THD+N. I just don't understand how can it produce results better than the AD converter.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Also bear in mind that the graph above is measured by an ADI-2 Pro FS, whose ADC has -112 dB THD+N. I just don't understand how can it produce results better than the AD converter.
Chips specs are given full scale. Their best THD is not always at full scale.
For the ADC, it's quite easy: just don't use it full scale by attenuating the input. A notch will improve things further. I believe that even the AP555 uses a standard ADC.
For the DAC, it's certainly a bit more complicated, but the principle may be the same: use the IC at it's best working point.

PPP

Chips specs are given full scale. Their best THD is not always at full scale.
For the ADC, it's quite easy: just don't use it full scale by attenuating the input. A notch will improve things further. I believe that even the AP555 uses a standard ADC.
For the DAC, it's certainly a bit more complicated, but the principle may be the same: use the IC at it's best working point.

I am not talking numbers for mere distortion. All the thd numbers I give above all include noise. You can lower the volume but the noise will come up.

For instance, amirm’s measurements here don’t make sense. In the original post he was astonished by the low harmonics it produced. But he is using a much lower volume and higher output level to get to 2v Se or 4v balanced, Far from getting close to the full volume the chip produces. However, You will see the thd+n number doesn’t get better.

also RME products avoid full volume already. Their standard +7dbu output level is slightly less than 2vrms.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I am not talking numbers for mere distortion. All the thd numbers I give above all include noise. You can lower the volume but the noise will come up.

For instance, amirm’s measurements here don’t make sense. In the original post he was astonished by the low harmonics it produced. But he is using a much lower volume and higher output level to get to 2v Se or 4v balanced, Far from getting close to the full volume the chip produces. However, You will see the thd+n number doesn’t get better.

also RME products avoid full volume already. Their standard +7dbu output level is slightly less than 2vrms.
XLR/RCA output voltage is not directly produced by the chip.
Just look at the SMPTE graph, behavior is completely different from the DX3 pro which uses a similar chip, even if not the exact same, but in a simpler implementation.

PPP

Mine measures better than that, in loopback.
Mine just doesn't beat the spec in loop back (using either RMAA [default setting] or Electroacoustics Toolbox).
I guess this depends on the way the measurement is performed.

AKM perhaps measures their chips in the same condition (their test conditions are published in spec sheet) and the thd+n only differs by 1db apart.
So the question is how RME perform the two tests.

JIW

The new version has 4 dB of digital attenuation before the DA. Thus for a 0 dB FS input, the THD of the DA chip should correspond to that of the DA chip at -4 dB FS which should be a good bit lower.

Regarding noise, AKM specs the AK4493's SNR at 123 dB for 2 V RMS output but also as 125 dB for large amplitude mode. The 4 dB attenuation should result in at most a 4 dB reduction of the SNR so RME's spec of 120 dB (123 dBA) SNR seems plausible.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine just doesn't beat the spec in loop back (using either RMAA [default setting] or Electroacoustics Toolbox).
I guess this depends on the way the measurement is performed.

AKM perhaps measures their chips in the same condition (their test conditions are published in spec sheet) and the thd+n only differs by 1db apart.
So the question is how RME perform the two tests.

2019-09-24 16_25_05-Greenshot_1200.png

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's awesome. What AD and DA level and volume do you perform the test with?
There is a trick.
I use balanced phone output (low gain, so +13dBu or 3.5Vrms full scale), balanced inputs (+19dBu range here).
And finally, with new firmware, you may sum both ADC channels, for some additional dBs

Willem

Major Contributor
To be absolutely honest I am not that interested in or concerned with such even better specifications, even though I will always admire the technology. The ADI-2fs was already much better than human hearing acuity. What I would be happy to upgrade to would be an RME DAC with more dsp processing power for at the very least rather more parametric filters, but preferably integrated Dirac or similar.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh my... I'm so weak and stupid...

Starting to think about "upgrade" mine, while there is no f**king reason to do so (at least, in the audible realm)...

Good news for folks here is I could put mine on sale on ASR...

OK, stop...saying...BS...resist...resist...:eek::facepalm:

Last edited:

Bliman

Starting to think about upgrade mine, while there is no f**king reason to do so (at least, in the audible realm)...

Stop. This nonsense will not be tolerated here ;). Be stronger than this.

JIW

Starting to think about "upgrade" mine, while there is no f**king reason to do so (at least, in the audible realm)...

You could ask for a board replacement... Should fit right in.;)

PPP

There is a trick.
I use balanced phone output (low gain, so +13dBu or 3.5Vrms full scale), balanced inputs (+19dBu range here).
And finally, with new firmware, you may sum both ADC channels, for some additional dBs

balanced phone output/summing adc channels is like using the mono mode of the chip. of course it has much better spec. that's not a fair measurement.

Top Bottom