• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

Tks

Major Contributor
I get the (perhaps incorrect) impression that many people are using the RME ADI-2 DAC as a DAC, not both the DAC & amp.

How many of you are using as a DAC and how many owners are using as both DAC & amp?

Tx!

Sometimes as a DAC, and sometimes as a DAC+AMP. It depends..

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I get the (perhaps incorrect) impression that many people are using the RME ADI-2 DAC as a DAC, not both the DAC & amp.

How many of you are using as a DAC and how many owners are using as both DAC & amp?

Tx!
Mainly as a DAC, but have used the whole package for jamming out on my headphones while scrolling through the ASR forums.
Never feels like I'm missing out on anything using the amp section, I just use my other headphone amp with it to trick myself into feeling like I didn't waste money on something I don't really need, lol.

mewzik

I am leaning towards; get the RME ADI-2 (as replacement for iFi micro black label) for my home setup. Use it as both amp+DAC to start. If I feel like the amp needs 'more' for some reason, go for another amp. Maybe by the the new Neve will be out by that time anyhow! I feel like the difference between the Atom+D50s and the iFi micro is pretty real so I am ready to move.

florence

I am leaning towards; get the RME ADI-2 (as replacement for iFi micro black label) for my home setup. Use it as both amp+DAC to start. If I feel like the amp needs 'more' for some reason, go for another amp. Maybe by the the new Neve will be out by that time anyhow! I feel like the difference between the Atom+D50s and the iFi micro is pretty real so I am ready to move.
So you say that you have idsd micro bl, Atom and D50s now and Atom+D50s combination sounds better than idsd? You say that you feel like the difference is "pretty real", alright but how? What differences in sound did you notice that better?

Veri

Master Contributor
So you say that you have idsd micro bl, Atom and D50s now and Atom+D50s combination sounds better than idsd? You say that you feel like the difference is "pretty real", alright but how? What differences in sound did you notice that better?
Here's some measurements using the iFi as a DAC+AMP and pushing the device a bit

This is hardly a stellar result anymore so the differences with high SINAD devices could be very real. On the other hand you have amir saying powerful tube amps volume matched sound "good" despite the distortion profile so ehh.

Last edited:

florence

Here's some measurements using the iFi as a DAC+AMP and pushing the device a bit

This is hardly a stellar result anymore so the differences with high SINAD devices could be very real. On the other hand you have amir saying powerful tube amps sound "good" despite the distortion profile so ehh.
Thanks a lot.

And yes, same thing quite possible on R2R DACs. Results on paper doesn't sound same in practice apparently.

mewzik

You say that you feel like the difference is "pretty real", alright but how? What differences in sound did you notice that better?

Hi Florence. I can't really give fulfilling words to "what sounded better". I can say things like "thinner" or "more brittle" or "closer" perhaps. As a quantitatively minded person, on this forum in particular, that is not satisfactory I realise.

Last edited:

Jim777

Forum Donor
FYI, in case some are thinking about a similar setup. I ran the RME as a DAC only, but finally got to bypassing my integrated amp's pre-amp section. Turns out the output level of the RME is a perfect fit for the "POWER AMP IN" of the McIntosh MA6500. Ironically, I think that their (non-integrated) amplifiers have a much higher sensitivity, so I'm pretty happy about that, and the high-level output capability of the RME. It's a perfect fit! The best part is this is a good reason to stick with my old integrated amp. So it turns out a RME is an audiophile's bargain :)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FYI, in case some are thinking about a similar setup. I ran the RME as a DAC only, but finally got to bypassing my integrated amp's pre-amp section. Turns out the output level of the RME is a perfect fit for the "POWER AMP IN" of the McIntosh MA6500. Ironically, I think that their (non-integrated) amplifiers have a much higher sensitivity, so I'm pretty happy about that, and the high-level output capability of the RME. It's a perfect fit! The best part is this is a good reason to stick with my old integrated amp. So it turns out a RME is an audiophile's bargain :)

Did the same:
Perfect match with the ADI-2 DAC. The max input is rated at 1.66V (6.61 dbu), so I work with the +7dbu ref level. That way, I may deal with all the power available from - 96db to 0db!

index.php

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A CCA will nicely fit behind them:)
It already does!! ;)(Roon/optical to the ADI-2).

Is that just luck that they look so good together? All you're missing is a streamer to match!

Hum. Apart from value (many offering for NC250MP amps/cases) I chose these on purpose! ;)

Black aluminium with white circular LEDs!

20190828_194231.jpg

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@MC_RME,

One last wondering: I was testing my ADI-2 newly using XLR line outs. If I understand well, the screen still show +13dBu ref level (for example) whatever it is RCA or XLR connected... So, do I have to think myself XLR is 6dBu higher, assuming +19dBu will not be viewable on the screen?

Last edited:

soundwave76

Forum Donor
Wow, what a beautiful match with those amps! What are those amps?

soundwave76

Forum Donor
I do run the ADI-2 through my iESL and iCan Pro and can say it sounds amazing with all of my head gear, including my Massdrop Koss 95x.

Have you tried running the iESL directly from the ADI-2 or does it lack power?

raif71

Major Contributor
Good info, good product and I like the RME guy chiming here but it is too expensive for me ;). Thank you all

sceune

These are some very interesting measuring results you have posted here. Thank you for your work.

The IEM jack of the ADI-2 DAC seems to be the most distortion free headphone output currently available for power levels < 5.0 mW. Even better then all of the THX AAA models in terms of THD+N vs power. (Am I right?)

Currently I'm using it with 150 Ohm impedance headphones and it sounds very transparent. But the volume level of the ADI-2 has to go up to -20.0 to -15.0 dB for adequate listening levels.

Top Bottom