• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

Tks

Major Contributor
Don’t you think that the RME being up there is enough? Will it translate into the audible realm?

Audible? Doubt it, though I'm a recent edition to the hobby, trained listeners like Amir would be able to tell you this for sure if it's possible with test-tones to discern these blue-rated DAC's from one to the other. As for general audio recordings? I doubt it, but I am only going by personally not being able to tell the difference between a DX3 Pro, and the RME DAC, and a Modi 3 (though I sold this a while ago, so you can disregard this one).

Makes you wonder why I even thought about it the 4499. It's more a curious "pushing the envelope" sort of ordeal. RME to me reminds me of Ferrari performance, except at the press of a few buttons, you have the functionality of a Tesla. Oh and they keep it the price of a Tesla as well. So you get features(like a well done user-experience, and software), and performance that no one is offering in this combination in one device. So it's just a curiousity to see what talented folks like that would be able to do when given the latest cutting edge of DAC chip design, and build a device around it. Almost art at this point, without being hallow lifeless art, but one that serves a secondary function of serious utility.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Makes you wonder why I even thought about it the 4499. It's more a curious "pushing the envelope" sort of ordeal.
Please remember a proper implementation of a new DAC chip (not released yet) takes time.
Take the ES9038 Pro, released in 2016. Then, we had to wait 2018-2019 to see flawless implementations (Matrix Element or Gustard DAC X26, both without ESS hump).
AK4497 also comes to mind (until D70)
However, there are propably some units unknown to ASR which reaches this level of performance before...

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Please remember a proper implementation of a new DAC chip (not released yet) takes time.
Take the ES9038 Pro, released in 2016. Then, we had to wait 2018-2019 to see flawless implementations (Matrix Element or Gustard DAC X26, both without ESS hump).
AK4497 also comes to mind (until D70)
However, there are propably some units unknown to ASR which reaches this level of performance before...
Oppo didn't. And oppo was like one of the first implementation of 9038. Also matrix has x sabre pro around that time too. We will have to see the measurements. It doesn't take that long for flawless implementation. With the right people, with right effort, half a year is conservative.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Selling all of my other DACs since getting the ADI-2 DAC, don't need anything else, it's that damn good on it's own, but gonna keep my iFi stack, just because, lol.
Holding on to my Khadas Tone Board to match up with the Atom since it's the ASR stack, gotta have that to feel like I'm part of the family here. (And because it's also great)

ehowarth

Unfortunately, neither the new Driver or Firmware "fix" the issue with Tidal Windows app. Still impossible to get the proper bitrate with Masters and it still locked at 44.1Khz. Unfortunately, I love the ADI-2 DAC so much but I don't understand this. All others DACs I have/had do proper bitperfect playback from Tidal app. No issue with Roon. But I have to subscribe for another year!...

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/he...atively-testing-for-dsp-and-alterations/72848

Sparky

Forum Donor
Morning guys.

So I've received my new ADI-2 and already my head has fell off with all the options! o_O

I've just updated the firmware to 30 and just having a play around.
Control knobs are quite intuitive once you get used to it.

Can anyone recommend any settings for me so I can just hook it up to my amp and leave it for a while until I've read this bible I now have to read through!

I guess I just need to set the unbalanced outputs to 2v to match my amp?

:eek:

Sparky

Forum Donor
As we said earlier in the thread. +7dbu is OK.

Thanks Vintage. I tried to find the post where you mentioned that but couldn't find it. :(

Have it set to +7 dbu now and sounds great!

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
Morning guys.

So I've received my new ADI-2 and already my head has fell off with all the options! o_O

Yeah, lol, it is tough at first, I've had it for a few weeks now, and still have trouble navigating some of the functions.

Sparky

Forum Donor
Yeah, lol, it is tough at first, I've had it for a few weeks now, and still have trouble navigating some of the functions.

:p.

I love it though already! Love how it looks & sounds and it just reeks of quality craftsmanship and engineering.
I'm so glad I didn't go for the Schiit or some other generic DAC. This is definitely the one for me.

Simple little things like being able to make adjustments to bass/treble on the fly. Put a CD on earlier for the wife (Gabriel) don't laugh.... :eek:
It was a touch bass heavy but a simple twist of a dial and it was spot on.

I have integrated it with my harmony remote too so have access to every function imaginable at my fingertips.
I couldn't figure out how to change the display from volume (in dB) to the frequency scale but I looked on the remote and there's a selection for the display type, clicked on that and boom.... Cycled through the 3 display types for me. :cool:

I obviously haven't even scratched the surface of what this little beauty is capable of but I'm going to have a good daily read of the "Bible" to get myself up to speed. :)

linnlingo

Morning guys.

I've just updated the firmware to 30 and just having a play around.
Control knobs are quite intuitive once you get used to it.

Can anyone recommend any settings for me so I can just hook it up to my amp and leave it for a while until I've read this bible I now have to read through!

I guess I just need to set the unbalanced outputs to 2v to match my amp?

RME also has a five chapter U-Tube instruction video. Makes it easier than going through the manual.

soundwave76

Forum Donor
Ok... I knew this was coming. As I told here earlier, I sold my ADI-2 Pro Anniversary Edition and I miss it and also regret selling it. I now have Topping D50 + Atom combo, and they are nice, but... they are not RME ADI-2.

So thus I pulled the trigger on ADI-2 DAC :cool:

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor
Does the RME ADI-2 have a digital volume control, not analog? I ask because at low volumes (around 9-10 o'clock), I have channel imbalance with the Atom, which is no doubt due to the analog volume pot. I am considering the ADI-2 DAC for a future proof headphone DAC/Amp, mostly for driving the HD600/650.

Top Bottom