• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, just trying to get my head around this product, the product here - https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-dac.html - the ADI-2 DAC FS, is this a new product or one from a few years ago?
RME is mainly targeting pro users, and the rate of replacing pro hardware is... different than for common consumers good.

But their products evolve with time.

As an example, when the factory providing you your DACs chips stops producing the chip, you may have to replace it with a newer model (as they did in what we call here "version 2" of the RME ADI-2 DAC, where they replaced the AKM 4490 by AKM 4493).

More so, even, of course, when your DAC chip factory burns and no chip is available at all.
That's what they did between "version 2" and "version 3", where the AKM chip was replaced by an ESS.

You may read the (measured) comparison here.
(Thanks to @VintageFlanker)

So yes, the ADI-2 DAC is a model created a few years ago.
But no, it's not obsolete.
And, most probably, it won't be replaced next month.

The good news is: even if it was, you wouldn't regret your purchase.

One last thing... I will be using this almost entirely as a DAC in a HiFi. Do you think it is worth the price if that is the intended use? I'll be using XLR to the AMP. I will plug in headphones from time to time I am sure.

Trell

Major Contributor
One last thing... I will be using this almost entirely as a DAC in a HiFi. Do you think it is worth the price if that is the intended use? I'll be using XLR to the AMP. I will plug in headphones from time to time I am sure.

Do you intend to use DSP features like PEQ, tone controls and dynamic loudness? These are major reasons to buy the RME ADI-2 DAC, and if not there are other cheaper DACs to consider. The remote is quite nice as well.

You can even use the PEQ as a simple room EQ by knocking down a few peaks, and that will improve the sound as well.

I’ve the RME on my desktop driving active monitors and for headphone usage, and to me it’s worth the price for its DSP that I use.

CMB

Yes definitely - for all the reasons enumerated by Trell.

Do you intend to use DSP features like PEQ, tone controls and dynamic loudness? These are major reasons to buy the RME ADI-2 DAC, and if not there are other cheaper DACs to consider. The remote is quite nice as well.

You can even use the PEQ as a simple room EQ by knocking down a few peaks, and that will improve the sound as well.

I’ve the RME on my desktop driving active monitors and for headphone usage, and to me it’s worth the price for its DSP that I use.
I have never thought much about EQ on my hifi but I was actually looking for iOS and Mac EQ Apps a while ago...
So maybe yes...

In terms of the DSP, I run a Sub, a REL T5i on 'high level' input off the speaker terminals of the amp. Will the DSP have any impact on that at all in terms of what frequency passes to the sub? Assume not?

Maybe I dont know all that a DSP can do :)

Trell

Major Contributor
I have never thought much about EQ on my hifi but I was actually looking for iOS and Mac EQ Apps a while ago...
So maybe yes...

In terms of the DSP, I run a Sub, a REL T5i on 'high level' input off the speaker terminals of the amp. Will the DSP have any impact on that at all in terms of what frequency passes to the sub? Assume not?

No, the RME has only stereo output, so any bass management has to be done after that.

In my setup the RME is connected to my Genelec subwoofer, and my Genelec monitors are connected to the subwoofer.

CMB

So maybe yes...

Well, I think it does. Especially, as you use in parallel the same stereo analog signal from your stereo amp that goes to the speakers (using the subwoofer high level input) , right?

(I also suppose that the sub is playing on top of and just added to your speakers? Speakers playing their full range.)

From there, a limited number of eq filters from ADI dac can be set on the stereo frequency range covering the bass region.

As it is a stereo output, it will however not differentiate between the signal to your sub and the speakers, but provide your stereo amp with a EQed stereo signal.

I used it this way before on a stereo amp with sub connected via high level inputs. It helped a lot, especially in the overall bass rendering.

I would recommend using a tool like REW and a Umik to measure the frequency response, calculate the EQ filters and then to set accordingly.

Then, on top of that you still have bass/treble and loudness settings.

I hope I got your question and set up right.

Last edited:
Well, I think it does. Especially, as you use in parallel the same stereo analog signal from your stereo amp that goes to the speakers (using the subwoofer high level input) , right?

(I also suppose that the sub is playing on top of and just added to your speakers? Speakers playing their full range.)

From there, a limited number of eq filters from ADI dac can be set on the stereo frequency range covering the bass region.

As it is a stereo output, it will however not differentiate between the signal to your sub and the speakers, but provide your stereo amp with a EQed stereo signal.

I used it this way before on a stereo amp with sub connected via high level inputs. It helped a lot, especially in the overall bass rendering.

I would recommend using a tool like REW and a Umik to measure the frequency response, calculate the EQ filters and then to set accordingly.

Then, on top of that you still have bass/treble and loudness settings.

I hope I got your question and set up right.
Yes I think that is right.

The speaker play full range and the sub is connected to the same 3 terminals as the speakers are. Red, Black, Yellow cables. Then you have the high level 'volume' dial for want of a better word, and a crossover dial.

I lost you after the stereo output bit. I'll try and understand best I can. I am completely new to EQ, I understand the premise, by emphasising certain frequencies and deemphasising others? But if we set up the bass differently we EQ, would that not carry other to the High Level inputs? As the RME would not be able to differentiate between the speaker and sub, as both are connected to the same terminals? I may be looking at this too simply.

Last edited:
By the way, I bought one yesterday, it turned up today! Lovely piece of equipment that feels very well made. I was a tad frustrated with the delivery / packaging... Turned up with the box half crushed, with terrible packaging... And its definitely not a new unit. I'll take that up with the company tomorrow. It sounds wonderful, two hours of testing against the SMSL SU-9n I concluded that I could not tell a difference at all in the sound, which is a good think.

Trell

Major Contributor
It sounds wonderful, two hours of testing against the SMSL SU-9n I concluded that I could not tell a difference at all in the sound, which is a good think.
Now you can turn on dynamic loudness which is a great feature. It’s configurable, check the manual for details. Also, enable reference levels, if not already enabled.

The user manual is available in PDF on the home page. Perhaps update the firmware as well.

If you think the device is not new, you should do a reset on it as there are many settings which may have been changed from default. See the manual.

A handy feature is the configurable auto standby from minutes to hours.

csup

"Warranty void" stickers have no legal standing in the US, although the manufacturer can still refuse to warranty their products if it was damaged by unauthorized repair. Under the 1975 Magnuson-Moss Act, it would be hard to argue that merely opening the case on an electronic device resulted in damage, absent any unusual circumstances.

I don't know what the legality is in Germany, but RME products sold in the US by an authorized dealer would be held to US law.

Would take a look... Without this last screw with a warranty void seal on it:

View attachment 41624

Chester

Any tips from anyone on how best to clean the screens on these units? I have a few finger prints on mine.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any tips from anyone on how best to clean the screens on these units? I have a few finger prints on mine.
Does the manual say anything?. Otherwise a clean piece of cotton or microfibre, maybe just slightly moist, should do and is usually what a manual typically allows.

Trell

Major Contributor
Does the manual say anything?. Otherwise a clean piece of cotton or microfibre, maybe just slightly moist, should do and is usually what a manual typically allows.
And emphasis on using clean cloth as the screen is plastic and easily scratched. As well as using a light touch.

Pritaudio

I wish the dac had more than just the three it as(optical, coaxial, usb).
It makes me have to go for the pro version at a much higher price, even though I don't need analogue xlr inputs.

its the usb I don't have a use for.
is it possible to use toslink or coaxial connection to usb (not the other way round). maybe an adaptor?

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish the dac had more than just the three it as(optical, coaxial, usb).
It makes me have to go for the pro version at a much higher price, even though I don't need analogue xlr inputs.

its the usb I don't have a use for.
is it possible to use toslink or coaxial connection to usb (not the other way round). maybe an adaptor?
There are cheap (but efficient) Toslink switches out there. Most come with a remote.
(I have one somewhere)

Pritaudio

There are cheap (but efficient) Toslink switches out there. Most come with a remote.
(I have one somewhere)
do these switches inject noise into the signal path?
furthermore, is there such a thing as the usb adaptor I have described? hopefully jitter doesn't matter as the dac reclocks usb signals. but it may have additional noise or distortion of some kind.

Trell

Major Contributor
do these switches inject noise into the signal path?
furthermore, is there such a thing as the usb adaptor I have described? hopefully jitter doesn't matter as the dac reclocks usb signals. but it may have additional noise or distortion of some kind.

No, those switches are all optical. Some of them might not support 192 kHz sample rate, and not all support ADAT as well.

On https://forum.rme-audio.de/index.php there are number of TOSLINK switches tested and recommend if you search for it.

Top Bottom