• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

JimmyBuckets

Unless I read it wrong the v35 firmware is supposed to improve THD measurements and Jitter. Anyway we can see if there has been an improvement? Thanks!

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Unless I read it wrong the v35 firmware is supposed to improve THD measurements and Jitter. Anyway we can see if there has been an improvement? Thanks!

Dreaming about it?

Other than that I recall graphs being posted here other than that I don't think any human may notice.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Not really sure what you mean by "dreaming about it?" Here is the link to the post on the ADI forum about the new firmware update.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=32772

Perhaps I didn't express myself correctly. I tried to say, incorrectly, that those graphs may show the improvment in the new firmware, because they are recent, other than that there is no proof or way to tell, since probably nobody could hear them.

JimmyBuckets

Those are from 2020. New firmware came out a day or two ago. I'm sure inaudible, but interesting to see what firmware can do to improve hardware. It's now v35 old was v34.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
I think ~500$ would be fine if they look great.

It has a fantastic LCD already. I would certainly not pay 500 for a pair of needles going back and forth, what a waste :p

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would like to point out that we nowhere said so, and doing measurements with professional tools (AP...) do not reveal any change.
Thanks for clarifying because that statement kinda had me perplexed. I was thining we might need to remeasure lol.

JimmyBuckets

I would like to point out that we nowhere said so, and doing measurements with professional tools (AP...) do not reveal any change.

This is the section of the firmware explanation that I was looking at. Sorry to create any confusion. Here is what I was looking at...

Sample Rate Converter (SRC) improvements (all Pro models)
The ISP (Intersample Peak) headroom for the SRC has been reduced from 6 dB to 3 dB. This improves low level accuracy and SNR, and improves low level THD. 6 dB was not necessary (plus the Pro FS R BE already has 2.5 dB digital headroom).

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
And this is a thread about the DAC which doesn't have SRC at all. Plus 'v35' is clearly DAC, not Pro (250/102).

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
No problem, just wanted to give the exact details.

JimmyBuckets

Probably something I did inadvertently, but I noticed the ADI DAC was sounding noticeably "smoother" after the updated firmware. So I went it to play with some settings, and decided to play around with the filters. To my surprise when I put on the NOS filter...the treble was much more pronounced. When I first got the DAC I had played around with the filters and could not pick up much if any difference. I looked through the manual again so see why I was hearing this. The NOS filter will turn off de-emphasis...so I scrolled down to the de-emphasis and it was in fact set to on. Obviously once I set it to off, all the filters were back to sounding the same and with treble restored. Its most likely something my kids or I did, but just wanted to see if anyone else had noticed de-emph being on after the update?

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Highly unlikely as there had been no change in the DAC's menu structure. But let me say this:

:D BRAVO! :D

I know enough people that would either not have noticed the change in sound at all, nor would show the ambition or ability to properly research the reason. Not to mention looking at the right place to find it. That was a wet dream for any supporter!

supreme

Hi.

Im wondering if ADI-2 dac will be good paired with my Hegel H190 amp and Elac Unfi FS52 speakers.
Speakers are neutral. I guess using balanced output from ADI to Hegel amp imput.
Those speakers need good PEQ base to make them go sing well. Will this dac be enough as preamp?

Sadly non pro version is not available in my country atm :(

Top Bottom