• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
As much more, I am deeply irritated by the earlier contrasting "uneducated insulting posts" and I sincerely wish they could be made transparent to me or maybe even deleted. Or maybe, could they at least be transferred to a different topic such "what kind of language to be avoided"? As such, at least they would have a kind of educational legitimation?
Hello, I probably missed that specific post, but I feel you here.

We're living in an audiofool world where someone can easily state that DAC#1 sounds way better than DAC#2 without providing any objective answer (complete lack of measurements, not even something related to volume matching or A/B testing); maybe that guy is right, but it will take lot of time for his credibility to get earned. Depending on that specific post you are talking about, maybe someone made an assertion that was hard to prove or simply too subjective, hence the word "uneducated" from English is probably not that rude as it's signification in French (in my country we only tell that to those unable to graduate high-school or those that never read books of any kind).

Let's take headphones as an example: two different pairs (planar and dynamic) will definitely not sound alike, but they might measure pretty similar across 20-20KHz in respect with freq. response and THD, but only these two tests can not ever tell us how these headphones are sounding, so here will help a lot some subjective listening tests. I hate that Tyll retired, because he was the only one providing square tests and much more than that. :(

JohnYang1997

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Manufacturer
Hello, I probably missed that specific post, but I feel you here.

We're living in an audiofool world where someone can easily state that DAC#1 sounds way better than DAC#2 without providing any objective answer (complete lack of measurements, not even something related to volume matching or A/B testing); maybe that guy is right, but it will take lot of time for his credibility to get earned. Depending on that specific post you are talking about, maybe someone made an assertion that was hard to prove or simply too subjective, hence the word "uneducated" from English is probably not that rude as it's signification in French (in my country we only tell that to those unable to graduate high-school or those that never read books of any kind).

Let's take headphones as an example: two different pairs (planar and dynamic) will definitely not sound alike, but they might measure pretty similar across 20-20KHz in respect with freq. response and THD, but only these two tests can not ever tell us how these headphones are sounding, so here will help a lot some subjective listening tests. I hate that Tyll retired, because he was the only one providing square tests and much more than that. :(
After-Tyll-Retirement era, the people head to the wrong direction. And the people who are measuring don't have the personality of Tyll. It's good that in the electronics, people are measuring better. But I personally feel really bad. Because I am in the analogue electronics route. Unless I change direction it's really hard for me to do what I could do.
The only website I trust(like I used to trust innerfidelity) is EAR-FI naver. And now I value solderdude's measurements more than ever before.

Rja4000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone have any experience with RME's support? I am having the exact problem in this thread and they won't help me with a replacement.
Well, you can't really expect them to replace a unit that was broken by your fault, can you ?
Ask for a repair.

As for me, I have 4 RME devices and never had an issue. So I'm afraid I can't help on that.

Did you buy it from an authorized dealer in your country? RME have known to be strict about not repairing items that come from the "grey market". (That's not my opinion. I buy used/grey a lot, but RME does this to protect their dealer network.)

Rja4000

It's fair to say their devices survive pretty unfriendly behaviors.
I shortcuted the phone output several times, overloaded the input, disconnected the power under full load,...
I stil can't break them.

Note: I didn't recommend you do the same, right ?

Last edited:

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I've seen on this form Topping owners that were using the wrong power supply and their products didn't suffered after this. I guess it's not that hard after all to implement a simple protection for an overvoltage, at least a Zenner or MOV and a slow-blow low-voltage fuse, although today regulators can take care of this by default. Probably this is why in OP's link to the same problem RME did replaced the broken device.

However, it would be interesting to find out from the OP the exact voltage and current type (AC or DC) that was using.

Veri

Major Contributor
Anyone have any experience with RME's support? I am having the exact problem in this thread and they won't help me with a replacement.
I do wonder what prompts someone to use any power supply they have lying around and plugging it into thousand dollar range equipment. If they can't send you a replacement free of charge, you will have to pay for a repair. not unreasonable...

I have a question about this DAC. Is it possible to let it choose an input channel automatically? Say if I turn on the tv, will the RME be able to automatically select the Toslink input?
Also, does it have a hard or a soft powerbutton? Because I have every one of my components in one big power switch. If I switch on that power switch, will the unit be on or do I have to press another button?

Rja4000

I have a question about this DAC. Is it possible to let it choose an input channel automatically? Say if I turn on the tv, will the RME be able to automatically select the Toslink input?
Yes
Also, does it have a hard or a soft powerbutton? Because I have every one of my components in one big power switch. If I switch on that power switch, will the unit be on or do I have to press another button?
Soft, and Yes, you do.
But that works from the remote, so I guess that's no problem.

Okay. With some patient and time I have been able to submit an RMA request. Situations complicated so I can't really give all the details here. Had to say my device was 2nd hand to finally get anywhere. Before I was being told send it back to the dealer I purchased from, but the dealer was OOC and they were slow to react. Regardless, seems I'll be getting it fixed now.

Top Bottom