• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In my experience, usb dacs perform best on a plain old usb 2 outlet. Ive had similar experiences in the past

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Has this DAC been re-measured with the new DAC chip?

No... I really wish we knew how it compares to various other audio devices right now also (multitone test, 50mv, knowing how low the highest distortions are). You would think if this was your product you wouldn't want it ranked lower than it really is on the leaderboards. But I think people already assume the type of performance the dac will have because of RME's consistency in producing extremely competent dacs.

I stopped checking awhile ago unfortunately. Before the virus I believe amir was going to be sent one January or February. Just another thing messed up from this virus I guess.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @MC_RME

Apart from the updated remote and the box perhaps, is there a way to verify a difference between V1 and V2 unit?

Something on the label/sticker , on the unit itself?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @MC_RME

Apart from the updated remote and the box perhaps, is there a way to verify a difference between V1 and V2 unit?

Something on the label/sticker , on the unit itself?
V2 has one more filter. I think it is called SDLD.
Yes. If your ADI-2 has this filter, it is a Rev2, if not, a Rev1:

IMG_20200418_111625.jpg

McFly

I have both here. V2 - There is a bolder font used on the front for the model name. The rear has the CE logo in a different place and there is a small oval hole on the back that is not on the V1. Perhaps they changed case manufacturers or the hole is for accessing an assembly screw in the newer model. The new models also have a different screen which is just slightly brighter and sharper. No my V1 screen has not degraded over time.

Still, none of the above would devalue the V1 and there is absolutely no audible difference between the two. Best DAC I have ever had the pleasure of using. So much so I bought the second one. Menu structure and button function a bit strange but you get used to it.

McFly

Perfect. V2 Now with added security features. :cool:

th0m

McFly

Probably not as good as the RME unit but still looks like a fine performing DAC. No 1khz full scale measurement in that link to compare directly with any measurements here. I doubt you’d hear a difference.

SoZo

Seriously considering this DAC.... question, whats it's personality ? (forward, laid back, big top bottom) I'm looking for super solid and neutral as I am using this for mixing music.
I'm comparing it to the Cranesong Avocet 2A, DANGEROUS Convert 2, Apogee Symphony MKii SE

Oddiofyl

I am very interested in this unit....I think the above screen shot answers my question, but if you turn "crossfeed" ON does the crossfield output appear through Line Out? I would connect this unit to my preamp's CD input and by doing so will route the RME output to my headphone amp. So in short I would like to use all of the features of the RME and sometimes use it as a DAC for my system but also have it's crossfeed and other DSP features appear at my headphone amp's input .

Also, has anyone compared this to or owned a NAD M51?

Thx

Veri

Master Contributor
Seriously considering this DAC.... question, whats it's personality ? (forward, laid back, big top bottom) I'm looking for super solid and neutral as I am using this for mixing music.
I'm comparing it to the Cranesong Avocet 2A, DANGEROUS Convert 2, Apogee Symphony MKii SE
Dead neutral. Convert 2 is the opposite of it (=euphonic).

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am very interested in this unit....I think the above screen shot answers my question, but if you turn "crossfeed" ON does the crossfield output appear through Line Out? I would connect this unit to my preamp's CD input and by doing so will route the RME output to my headphone amp. So in short I would like to use all of the features of the RME and sometimes use it as a DAC for my system but also have it's crossfeed and other DSP features appear at my headphone amp's input .

You can enable the crossfeed for the line outs on the back. That the primary reason I bought mine, since I can run it into a Stax electrostatic headphone amplifier.

Top Bottom