• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Following the demise of my first ADI-2 DAC apparently as a result of a defective op-amp, I received my replacement ADI-2 DAC from the U.S. distributor, Synthax, after the dealer, @suttondesign, provided superbly responsive service.

Synthax swapped out my broken DAC for a fully functional, ADI-2 DAC with some marks on the top--clearly a B-stock or returned unit. (No, the marks do not wipe off.) My six-month old unit didn't have any cosmetic issues, so I'm not totally satisfied with this.

Though I have also been the totally satisfied owner of a Babyface Pro, my view of RME is diminished after this experience.
I just wanted to let anyone following the thread know that, while the U.S. distributor did not perform admirably in this situation, @suttondesign resolved the situation completely. Truly a first-class dealer, and if you are interested in buying high-quality audio products, I recommend that you do business with him.

Music1969

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi @MC_RME

If ADI-2 DAC is fed PCM768 kHz, is this sample rate resampled internally to a lower sample rate, for EQ, crossfeed etc , when using headphones output?

Or all DSP features will be done at the incoming PCM768 kHz sample rate?

I do see in the manual it says:

“At sample rates 705.6 kHz and up Crossfeed or EQ can be active, not both at the same time. Bass/Treble and Loudness are not available.”

But I’m not clear if incoming PCM768kHz is resampled to a different rate for EQ and digital volume control on headphones output .

Last edited:

LTig

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @MC_RME

If ADI-2 DAC is fed PCM768 kHz, is this sample rate resampled internally to a lower sample rate, for EQ, crossfeed etc , when using headphones output?

Or all DSP features will be done at the incoming PCM768 kHz sample rate?
According to the manual of the ADI-2 PRO fs (not the DAC, but I assume they are very similar in this respect) no resampling, but limitations due to available DSP power: no Bass, Treble and Loudness, and you have the choice between either EQ ((1 x stereo) or crossfeed. You can download the manual and check yourself. It is very informative.

Music1969

According to the manual of the ADI-2 PRO fs (not the DAC, but I assume they are very similar in this respect) no resampling, but limitations due to available DSP power: no Bass, Treble and Loudness, and you have the choice between either EQ ((1 x stereo) or crossfeed. You can download the manual and check yourself. It is very informative.
Hi

Yes I quoted manual above (see my post above).

But I’m not clear if incoming PCM768kHz is resampled to a different rate for EQ and digital volume control on headphones output

KSTR

But I’m not clear if incoming PCM768kHz is resampled to a different rate for EQ and digital volume control on headphones output
No, no "hidden" resampling whatsoever is applied. There isn't even software for that in the Adi-2 Pro and DAC.
The only resampling that may take place, for the Pro, is in a hardware chip on some of the digital inputs, but only if the user explicitely tells the device to do so (for specific applications, when unsync'd digital inputs have to be used).

Music1969

don't you think that would be mentioned clearly if so?
Thanks!

So for digital volume control done with headphone output, when fed 32bit PCM768KHZ , then it is ‘converted’ to 42 bit (TotalMix tech) but stays at same sample rate of PCM768KHZ ?

th0m

Is anyone using Steam with the ADI-2 (with the default Windows driver)? Suddenly can't get any sound in any games anymore since I changed DAC. All other sounds in Windows works perfectly.

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Technical Expert
Manufacturer
Hi @MC_RME
If I need to ground the ADI-2 DAC due to ground loop hum (headphones output) what are your recommended methods?
Grounding the digital coax input is fine? Or is that input isolated?
That's fine, it is not isolated. Any ground connection will work, also RCA and XLR (pin 1).

Hi everyone!

After some tinkering with the unit I realized that I cannot select 32 bit in the "Sound Control Panel" of Win10. It is limited to 24 bit, independent of the selected frequency. The Madi driver is installed. I tried to google it and also had a look at the the manual, but to no avail. Am I missing something very obvious here?

Could this be caused by the Babyface Pro that is also installed at the same machine?

TBC: I am not talking about ASIO and using a 32 bit audio file, but the option to set 32 bit within WDM.

Thanks,
Seige

Top Bottom