• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of RME ADI-2 DAC and Headphone Amp

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, this
AE221128-085B-4133-AF55-C5C9986B8315.png

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's not the DAC of this topic.

Regarding your question: use the lowest output level that gives you the maximum loudness level with the volume pot close to maximum.

Oukkidoukki

Yes I know that this is not the topic dac. It is similar so I thought maybe someone know. Didn want to bother or be lazy. Just asked. Thanks for the answer. I dont keep volume pot connected to xlr out. No volume at all so it is the most purest line out. I change volume from studio monitors and fine adjustments from spottify or gobuz. My tests showed that 4 dbu setting was somehow most compatible, there was air and height in soundstage. There was some forced feeling with higher settings. I dont know if it is only my imagination but that how I felt.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I know that this is not the topic dac. It is similar so I thought maybe someone know. Didn want to bother or be lazy. Just asked. Thanks for the answer. I dont keep volume pot connected to xlr out. No volume at all so it is the most purest line out. I change volume from studio monitors and fine adjustments from spottify or gobuz. My tests showed that 4 dbu setting was somehow most compatible, there was air and height in soundstage. There was some forced feeling with higher settings. I dont know if it is only my imagination but that how I felt.
This might not be imaginary. If you chose too high output voltage then these things may happen, depending on where you adjust the volume:
  • volume setting on analog side (studio monitor): it's possible that the input stage distorts if the level is too high
  • volume setting on digital side (spotify, qobuz): you use less bits than the DAC can resolve

Oukkidoukki

Yes, I think it is optimal here to keep it 4 dbu in rme out and gobuz/spottify full/ almost full. Thank you very much. Gotta sleep now. Headamp was awesome. Thank you, thanks RME!

Trell

Major Contributor
I think he talks about the RME ADI-2 fs, not the RME ADI-2 DAC (topic of this thread). The former is an ADC/DAC combo and has very few features.

Yeah, reading his post again he did write “adi 2 fs” but I just assumed he meant the DAC the first time I read it.

Last edited:

marc111

I am now trying to compare filters, which is hard to do if you switch on the unit and then go to the listening position. I have not had any luck with the manual. Do any of you more knowledgeable folks know how to program the remote to switch filters? Thanks.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought this DAC hoping to replace my Topping D30 pro and A30 pro stack. Sadly despite all the features it is missing one that for my use is a game changer. It lacks auto on so I’m again forced to use a remote.

I’m building a second system so it won’t to waste.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom