• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Measurements of "regular" TV sound chain?

Chrisr

So I currently have a chromecast connected to an old TV, with coaxial sound out going into a Loxjie D30 and on to amp and speakers. I also have a RPI with Moode connected to the same D30 over USB.

Now as I am already using the chromecast for streaming video, it's kind of tempting using it for streaming spotify as well. This way I never have to change input anywhere and I get the song info with covers, lyrics etc on the TV as a nice litte touch.

So what I really would like to know is just how much sound quality suffers through the chromecast->TV chain as opposed to streaming over RPI->USB directly into the DAC/preamp?

Has anyone done measurements on similar? What's the theory and practical "common knowledge" when it comes to sound quality of chromecast and HDMI? Does the TV mess up the signal before passing it out over spdif/coax?

Happy to get some input on this before trying to some basic tests once my new speakers arrive :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
TV quality varies on its own.

Monitoring the optical out, with Spectrum cable as the source:

Various cut-off frequencies occur depending upon whatever that depends on - movie, commercial, talk, which network, etc.

Interestingly, spectral peaks for the sound with video for all the channels come in about 20dB lower (-40dBFS) than what I typically see with recorded music (-20dBFS).

No "loudness war".

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Interestingly, spectral peaks for the sound with video for all the channels come in about 20dB lower (-40dBFS) than what I typically see with recorded music (-20dBFS).

No "loudness war".
I wonder if this is why certain music sounds better when used in a movie. But maybe its placebo.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if this is why certain music sounds better when used in a movie. But maybe its placebo.

I think they EQ it to sound punchier.

Don't know about the USA but in the UK the levels and the sound quality vary widely between different channels.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I think they EQ it to sound punchier.

Don't know about the USA but in the UK the levels and the sound quality vary widely between different channels.
I don't watch actual TV, I'm talking about Blu-ray releases.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
sorry, yes I meant for films and some TV shows they tweak the music on the soundtrack up a bit.

Top Bottom